Author Topic: The new Wembley Stadium + Arena  (Read 3270 times)

Yellow Petals

The new Wembley Stadium + Arena
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:05 »
Husband and I were there on Monday night and took a couple of pictures of the new developments going on.  Looking pretty good, eh?  (although why it was necessary to spend millions on that ugly arch across the top I'll never know.  It doesn't even serve any purpose!)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:38:05 by Yellow Petals »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Re: The new Wembley Stadium + Arena
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:19:30 »
I can't understand how it can cost over 700million for a stadium, which is primarily for football, and they get some government money towards the cost.

And then,

They decide to build another one on the other side of London, for untold billions! (admitidly, there will be some other bits and bobs on the other site)

Still

Looks pretty.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:51 »
It's amazing what money can suddenly be found when awarded the Olympics and bidding for the 2018 World Cup!  ;)  But I agree, how on earth can it be costing 700 mil and rising?  :o

Dan, what is the other stadium being built?

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:52:05 »
The one for the Olympics, possibly to be taken over by West Ham once the olympics is finished.

Olympic Stadium

Another nice new ground for football  >:(

And I speak as a football fan!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:28:43 »
Wow it looks amazing, great pics YP! I still love how the old Wembley looked tho, I wish they would have taken the towers and incorporated them into the design somehow. Agreed about the stupid arch thing - serves no purpose at all. x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 13:32:17 »
The arch is so that when I drive through certain parts of SW London I can say "Look, there's the new Wembley Stadium"!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 13:56:14 »
At least it looks loads better than the monstrosity of a building  built for the Scottish Parliament for billions of pounds.   :-\ :-\

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 16:14:08 »

(although why it was necessary to spend millions on that ugly arch across the top I'll never know.  It doesn't even serve any purpose!)

To hang all england teams winning pennants on  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 17:10:37 »
    To hang all england teams winning pennants on  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Oh, that'll be why they made it so big then ...  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 17:24:48 »
They won't be getting an arch in scotland then ;D. I quite like the arch it's like the new towers. :D :D ;D ;D :P :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 17:40:45 »
I still love how the old Wembley looked tho, I wish they would have taken the towers and incorporated them into the design somehow.

That's how I feel, Kitten.  I loved the Twin Towers on the old Wembley.  Even walking up for a game or a concert it was great to see them.  Glad I got to see England v Scotland before it was all pulled down (even if we did lose .... ahem)

Dan, I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not re the Hammers possibly using the new stadium being built?  For two reasons, firstly Upton Park has only recently finished having it's work done and secondly (and more importantly) when's a team like the Hammers ever gonna fill a stadium with a capacity for 80,000?  ??? ;D ;D (hopes Dan isn't a Hammer)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 17:52:17 »
Dan isn't a hammer - Liverpool and proud (anyone mentions last night - you are barred!).

And no I wasn't joking.

Dan

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 19:18:01 »
If you add up west hams last four gates that might add up to 80 000. What was the score dan.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 20:01:31 »
Well I like the arch ???

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 19:32:31 »
They won't be getting an arch in scotland then ;D. I quite like the arch it's like the new towers. :D :D ;D ;D :P :P

Psssssssssssst Scotland were the only Nation to win a cup last season  ;D ;D :P

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 21:21:35 »
Psssssssssssst Scotland were the only Nation to win a cup last season

Must've missed that one, do enlighten us

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:05 »
Iwent to the Arena last may to see a band and the fountains were great!  They are all controlled by music and "dance" to the tunes!  I bet they don't turn them on after matches!!!!!

The thing about the stadium I don't get is this - why on earth rebuild it where it is???? Because it's in the middle of a rather grotty pre-war industrial estate with hardly any parking and is a real hike from the stations!  If that is supposed to impress visiting teams - I dunno what it's saying for Britain!!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 12:35:37 »
i went to the arena is august to see Madonna in concert. ahhhh what a night it was lol. she was great.

uhhhm. anyway....yea that whole site around it though was a construction site....all you saw was the big arc above it.

i love the fountains outside the arena though. strange but fun.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 14:22:02 »
Louise, the plan is to demolish more of the surrounding area (obviously not the little businesses) and build a whole new mini 'town'.  It's going to have hotels, shops, places to eat, bars (mmmm, great, more drunken idiots to spoil the concerts and matches) and more besides.  There are pictures and plans which show how it's going to look, I'll see if I can find some and put them up.

Here's one: 

Here's another:

Boulevard by day:

Stadium Piazza:

Arena Square:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 14:28:13 by Yellow Petals »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 17:55:18 »
Looks good.  I second the parking agro.  Having been to many concerts there, parking was always a pain in the neck so lets hope when they create that new Wembly they provide more than ample parking for the thousands of people who will be there.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal