Author Topic: Unfair Swaps??  (Read 7622 times)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Unfair Swaps??
« on: January 06, 2007, 09:27:30 »
Do other peoples swaps work out? I've only been involved in a couple of swaps so far and both times I've not heard back from the receiver of seeds, am I being picky? I would have thought an email of thanks when the seeds arrive would be common courtesy and if they have agreed to send you some seeds back in return for yours then surely they should? My swapies haven't! Maybe it's just me but it's left me wondering if it's worth agreeing to swaps again.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Unfair Swaps??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:28:27 »
Perhaps yours got lost in the post, I see no problem in asking if the seeds arrived safely, that might just prompt somebodies memory.

I have had no problem, but I nearly forgot myself once that I owed an outstanding swop. A gentle reminder soon sorted it. Some of us are very disorganised and there are a few that old age has not been kind to ;D

Now where has the post button gone

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:35:47 »
Perhaps yours got lost in the post, I see no problem in asking if the seeds arrived safely, that might just prompt somebodies memory.

I thought that they might have got lost in the post as well so I did enquire with my first swap a couple of weeks later and I received an email to say that they had arrived, maybe you're right in the fact that people are just busy and don't get around to it straight away or just forget!  ::)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:49:40 »
I find that if i don't do something straight away it goes completely out of my head, and then i forget for ages, until something (like a gentle reminder email!) triggers it off in my memory. I don't think anyone would take unkindly to a polite reminder if they 'owe' you swappsies. x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 11:24:55 »
Hi GW, at the end of the year i ask if we could have a buy section for seeds at a low price on a4a, IE ones that people saved from their own plants or last year seeds they don't want, and i received loads of free seeds from loads of kind friends who willingly gave them away, but i found that some people never bothered to place there name and addresses with the seeds, which i found hard to thank, i think they thought that they were the only person sending seeds, if only they new, i did place a thank you thread on the site, i found a load of people on here who said they would help me did, and I'm very glad i know all these kind people on here as they helped me out of a big problem, so all i can say is No I've never had any big problems sending seeds or plants, or receiving them.
windy
my allotment
heaven

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 12:18:16 »
You're right GW, I think that I normally send a quick note to say the seeds have arrived, or in some cases not, and always seem to get them from swappees. As ACE says, some of us get confuddled and I'm sure no-one would want you to feel out of sorts as a swap. Maybe you've been unlucky and I'm sorry to hear you have, this seed swapping is great fun and leads to wonderful discoveries. I hope you keep going, and that the good interactions start to outweigh any problems :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 15:28:51 »
did you send us some barlottos, we received some and I don't know who they're from, if you've sent us some, I apologise now  :)

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 16:17:35 »
This is a bit embarrassing but there was a lady who said she had a huge number of indoor plants she needed to give away (they had been outside all summer). I said yes please but heard no more. I realise that she (hope it was a she) may have been overwhelmed but it would have been nice to be told so.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 16:35:15 »
Hi GW.  I agree that a PM or email to say that the seeds have arrived is good manners and the least you should expect.  I've sent and received many seeds and rarely has there been a problem.  My memory isn't great so I keep a note book by the pooter and make sure I keep a record of things I've promised or been promised.  And if I have ever forgotten to thank anyone for seeds then I apologise unreservedly.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 16:47:31 »
I am terrible at saying seeds have arrived, so those that sent to me over this last week, I think I said thanks to you all, but in case I missed any, THANKS YOU GUYS-YOU ARE GREAT!  Often I receive seeds in batches, and some have no note with them, so I forget who did what.  Also, now we can't have unlimited messages in our inboxes, I empty mine, they realise I have deleated peeps answers, so I forget who sent things.  I don't believe I have ever let anyone down if they have asked for seeds - I might not always be quick, but I do get there in the end, promise.

If you feel let down, then pm/email the person.  Or, when you have sent seeds, pm/email them to let them know they are coming, then it will prompt them/remind them who was sending what. :-\

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 18:14:47 »
I have done a lot of seed swaps and do the same as Georgie:  I write it down in my special book. I do this because most of the people who send me seeds do NOT write their name or forum name on the envelope   ??? ??? and in the beginning I had to check who did offer certain  seeds!!!. I would ask: PLEASE write a name
on the envelope ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 18:32:00 »
[url]http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,28/topic,24178.0[/url

Needless to say, I will not be SWAPPING seeds again, I went to quite a bit of trouble for this character, he's dissapeared without trace.............. I still have his address though, you never know when I'll be in the area ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 18:57:45 »
I have to say i am not great at recording anything as i try and sneek this in when i am at work as i cant always use the pc at home.

But if i have missed sending anything to anyone i am sorry and i dont mind people asking if they got them.

I know however of only one person whos post got lost and i lucky enough still had seed to send a second lot.

Maybe that we need are some guidelines that new users can see?

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 19:12:49 »
I have never swapped but just want to add that sometimes things happen in our lives and other things that were important have to take a back seat.We have had plots on our site that get left and get full of weeds and you think maybe the person doesn't care etc but then hear that something bad has happened to them.Try and remember that when complaining.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 19:37:12 »
I keep PM's from people who send me plants or seeds until they arrive. That way I can refer back if I need to.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 19:47:36 »
I keep all PMs from people till they deal is completed both ways. I always send a personal reply once I have received the package. If I don't hear from who I send stuff to, I PM asking if they have received. Just to make me feel better knowing they have not been lost in the post. Nothing has as yet - touch wood.

Only had one unfair do with this all the time I have swapped.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 20:50:52 »
Try and remember that when complaining.

All very well but would a simple email kill them?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 21:24:38 »
Hey Merry Tiller, Did you ever get hold of the Japanese Black Trifle seeds you were after? I have some spare, want some, not after a return I´m all set for spring!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 03:00:39 »
did you send us some barlottos, we received some and I don't know who they're from, if you've sent us some, I apologise now  :)

golly I can't remember :-[ ::) ;D ;D ;D

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 14:36:41 »
I have received two lots of seeds from very generous people and although I can not give or swap anything at this time I have offered to send others seeds from Netto to people who cannot get them as they live to far away.

Yes I thinks it only polite to thank someone for their swaps..

I do think to would be helpful if you could check the PM for the messages you have sent as well as those you have received.  Or have I missed how to do that ???

Any way thanks to all who have offered and sent bits to me.

BB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal