Author Topic: Unfair Swaps??  (Read 7632 times)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
Re: Unfair Swaps??
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 17:02:44 »
Especially around Christmas it has been a bit hard for me to keep track of swaps. In addition to spending a lot of time with the family I have been travelling more than half of December. Sorry if I have forgotten a PM!

Personally would appreciate a reminder PM if there was a swap I hadn't completed or if I haven't sent the 'they arrived! thanks!!' PM yet.

I have only had good experiences with swapping on this forum.

urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 18:38:53 »
What is Netto

and do they sell chilli and pepper seeds?

I have never heard of Netto
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 18:45:13 »
hi

netto is a supermarket like lidil or aldi they sell european brands at low price and they sell quantity so they can keep there prices low.

google them you may have one close.

cambourne7

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 16:14:25 »
I have never swapped but just want to add that sometimes things happen in our lives and other things that were important have to take a back seat.We have had plots on our site that get left and get full of weeds and you think maybe the person doesn't care etc but then hear that something bad has happened to them.Try and remember that when complaining.

Gosh I seem to have put a cat among the pigeons! I didn't mean to upset anyone and if I have I'm sorry, I agree that we don't know what has happened in peoples lives and I would never knowingly upset someone or complain, it just seems strange that people don't always say thanks, we are all different and I was brought up in a certain way and that included how to say thanks.

I have never contacted people that haven't said thanks because I am worried that I will upset them or something may be wrong but maybe this thread will remind people that common courtesy and manners don't cost a penny.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 17:59:01 »
Agreed, manners cost nothing

funplants

• Not So New ...
  • Poncirus Trifoliata
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 18:23:44 »
I've been around for less than 2 months, and already had 2 very nice swaps. I confess that I'm probably tarred with the 'unfair' person, as I still haven't sent what I promised. Only managed to get round to digging up the bamboo roots that I promised today, and hopefully the second person I swapped with will be delighted by the end of the week:)

There are always going to be people that abuse this, but there are also going to be some that benefit. It'd be nice if there was some form of recommendation as to who was an honest swapper, and who wasn't...but does it really matter that much? Worst case is that you lose the postage cost.

Best case is that you make a new contact, and get an interesting swap. I like to believe that gardeners are 'salt of the earth', and don't deliberately set out to abuse trust.

Bottom line is that by sending a swap, you are adding a bit of good 'karma' to the world. I just wish that more people would do the same:)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 20:14:46 »
There are always going to be people that abuse this, but there are also going to be some that benefit

Trouble is abusers will benefit

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 20:20:20 »
:)I'm with Womble and MT on this one.
By the way has anyone got any spare seed.   ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 20:47:33 »
 ;DLOL

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 21:33:07 »
If I've got the seed I just post it off without asking questions about what, if anything, I'll get back. Maybe a few people will take the mickey, but what other people send me more than makes up for it.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 21:38:43 »
what goes around comes around.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 23:09:12 »
what goes around comes around.

I do hope so

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14:40 »
i'm sorry to hear some people have had bad experiences. and i'm particularly sorry in your case merry tiller.....it just sounds a bit odd. like silly billy said....people do go through some bad times in there lives. but never the less, if you have time to recieve seeds in such a bad time...then i'm sure you have time to let the person know you got them and to return the favour. or atleast keep the communication open so that the other person knows what's going on.

i've been going through some crap over the last year.....and i've done a lot of swaps here, even received stuff off people for absolutely free....and i'm thankfull to all of you. and while i was doing my swaps and telling people i recieved the post.....i too left things really late sometimes. but i did inform everyone in the end as to what was going on.

i hope i don't owe anything to anyone here...i'd hate to be the person who took advantage of someone or made false promises. if i do owe you something, let me know.

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 02:47:09 »
I did quite a few swaps over summer,

If I owe people anything let me know...

Thanks to all who sent me seed

:)
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 09:07:11 »
I’m sorry if I seem a little bitter over this but it wasn’t just a case of me sending one packet of seed in return for another and never receiving anything in return

Someone on here was offering to swap some seeds I’d been after for quite a while so I replied to this person requesting that particular tomato seed and offering a choice of any of toms in return, I sent him a list of around 60 varieties to choose from. He then asked me how many different varieties he could choose from the list. I was expecting him to chose just one as a straight swap but as he seemed enthusiastic and as I’m a generous kind of chap I said it would be ok for him to chose any 6 from the list He replied with a list of 7. I should have realised at this point that he was a Mickey taker and withdrawn from the whole thing but as I said I’m a generous chap so I duly counted out the seeds, packeted them separately, labelled them up and sent them off

That was the last I heard from him, despite numerous attempts to contact him.
As they say, you live and learn :'(

PS. I’d just like to thank Biscombe for her kindness in sending me the seeds I was after in the first place, I hope her garden flourishes ;D

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 09:30:31 »
I’m sorry if I seem a little bitter over this ...

I have to say that your signoff to Amphibian on the other thread had me laughing aloud.

I see that he hasn't been on here since early October, so I suspect that you'll never resolve it.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 09:39:56 »
He was a fairly active member who stopped posting all of a sudden.

That's all I wanted to say.

Dan

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:07 »
Most of my swapsies were great. I'm often touched by people's generosity. :)
However I did have a few swaps, which I was left feeling unhappy with, as I got very few seeds in return when I sent more than a dozen packets of seeds etc.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 11:40:05 »
Awww thanks Merry Tiller! sat here blushin!! you seeds are in the post on friday xx

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 18:21:23 »
I’m sorry if I seem a little bitter over this but it wasn’t just a case of me sending one packet of seed in return for another and never receiving anything in return

Someone on here was offering to swap some seeds I’d been after for quite a while so I replied to this person requesting that particular tomato seed and offering a choice of any of toms in return, I sent him a list of around 60 varieties to choose from. He then asked me how many different varieties he could choose from the list. I was expecting him to chose just one as a straight swap but as he seemed enthusiastic and as I’m a generous kind of chap I said it would be ok for him to chose any 6 from the list He replied with a list of 7. I should have realised at this point that he was a Mickey taker and withdrawn from the whole thing but as I said I’m a generous chap so I duly counted out the seeds, packeted them separately, labelled them up and sent them off

That was the last I heard from him, despite numerous attempts to contact him.
As they say, you live and learn :'(

PS. I’d just like to thank Biscombe for her kindness in sending me the seeds I was after in the first place, I hope her garden flourishes ;D

nah i don't think you sounded bitter....i would be annoyed. but like dan said....something might have happened.

so we never know....some bad experiences will always happen....but most of the time i think it's a wonderfull idea that works out for the best for most of us.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal