Author Topic: Pickled Garlic going green!  (Read 1382 times)

lottief

• Not So New ...
Pickled Garlic going green!
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:55:57 »
Help! Something is going wrong....

The first time I tried making "Gavins Pickled Garlic" I bought wet garlic from the market and the results were totally delicious! So nice in fact, that I found there wasn't nearly enough and I tried to make some more using normal supermarket bought bulbs.
2nd attempt, something happened as I was in the middle of it and I abandoned the cloves in the fridge hoping to finish the pickling the next day, by which time they were turning green!
3rd attempt (yesterday), supermarket bulbs again and I pickled as quickly as possibly - no cloves hanging around, straight into the vinegar mix but once in the jar the edges started to go green again. I was really careful about sterilising the jar. Has anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?
 Many thanks,
C

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Pickled Garlic going green!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 13:13:46 »
I returned a professionlly made jar for a refund.

Maybe that was not necessary?

"
Garlic Can Turn Blue

Raw garlic contains an enzyme that if not inactivated by heating reacts with sulfur (in the garlic) and copper (from water or utensils) to form blue copper sulfate. The garlic is still safe to eat.

Garlic can turn Green

If the garlic was not fully mature or dry, pigments in the garlic may turn green when in the presence of acid. Garlic will also turn green (develop chlorophyll) if exposed to an temperature change or is exposed to sunlight. Some people say it can be stored for 32 days at or above 70 - 80° F to prevent greening, but I'm not yet sure that is true. Green garlic is safe to eat."

Don't quote me!!

lottief

• Not So New ...
Re: Pickled Garlic going green!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 13:17:47 »
Thanks Tim! I knew someone here would know.

I think it would be 'blue' by these explanations not green. Perhaps I used a different pan or something first time round or maybe I was just lucky?

Very good news that it is still safe to eat!

Many thanks,

C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal