Author Topic: Blinding Cranberry sauce recipe (not literally...!)  (Read 1221 times)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
Blinding Cranberry sauce recipe (not literally...!)
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:58:00 »
Thought you may like to try this for Christmas or Thanksgiving this year...

215ml water
105g caster sugar
105g light brown sugar
1 pack (roughly 10/11 oz) fresh cranberries, washed & picked over.
2 tbsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp dijon mustard

Heat water and sugars together over a medium heat and stir until sugar has melted.  Add the cranberries. Bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes. Add the horseradish & mustard. Bottle if for keeping, or chill before serving.

Forgive the strange amounts, I weighed it out last night from an American recipe.
If you're used to making jams and watching sugar boil, you will be able to guage the correct gloopiness when hot for the desired texture when cold.  I don't boil it very hard or for 10 minutes as we prefer to have the texture of cranberries and the jelly a little more sauce-like. You know your preferences!

If you use a bought creamed horseradish sauce (like I did) expect a froth when boiling and little white bits on the surface when jarred. This is normal and won't kill the cranberries.

If you are using fresh grated horseradish, I advise a little caution as you may like to still taste the cranberries at the end of it!

We have thanksgiving every year and though I love my american friend dearly, that can of "cranberry" she brought last year is pretty much wobbly sugar :-X ! We've been making the above for three years now, it freezes for christmas, too. The bought stuff is just NOT worth the money in comparison to this.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal