Author Topic: the fruit trees are in at lidl  (Read 12490 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: the fruit trees are in at lidl
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 09:31:07 »
Prune them right back to the trunk, as that will encourage them to grow. I should have done it with some of mine when I planted them; they haven't thrived and I'll be cutting them back as soon as the leaves drop. Others have really flourished.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2006, 10:21:06 »
it didn't have any small print apart from "EC plant passport UK/EW 11977 RP L0001" whatever that means.

???

Here is an explanation, go to page 51 of this document for a brief breakdown of the info:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/publicat/passport/pass.pdf

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2006, 12:37:10 »
thanks, I'd already done a bit of research on this but plant passports don't really mean much as far as, well anything really  :-\ but I was more interested in where these trees are coming from, i.e. who is supplying them a british nursery or ???

planted mine out today - roots on all except one looked good (4 pears), soaked in manured water for about an hour and staked when planted, they look good and healthy, time will tell  :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 09:49:32 »
I have a question (being a novice fruit grower!) - When can I expect crop from my golden gage tree from lidl? :-\ I planted it in a pot straight after I bought it.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 10:50:24 »
not sure a pot is the best idea for a golden gage (oullins) as it tends to be a vigourous grower and will soon outgrow even a large pot - you have to be patient with nearly all fruit and even when the blosson appears in plenty it still needs to establish itself well - so a few years, say another 2 or 3 at least

it is hard to say how old the fruit trees are that Lidl's are supplying - I would guess 1 or 2 year olds, don't know what the root stock is either - this will all affect the cropping time and amount

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 10:56:52 »
we don't have any fruit trees or bushes in the Halifax Lidl, went down yesterday and lad at counter said they havn't had any in and wasn't expecting a delivery of any, so I asked the manager he said the same :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 10:58:18 »
no, they've all gone from ours now  :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 14:27:28 »
Thanks calendula. I'm planning to move this winter (I'm in the middle of house hunting) and hoping that I will find a house with a garden where I can plant my golden gage. Do you think it's ok in a pot until I'v moved? Also I would like to train the golden gage. Is it possible or do I need a younger tree? ??? Sorry for asking so many questions. I haven't got a clue when it comes to fruit trees. :-

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 15:54:15 »
... Also I would like to train the golden gage. Is it possible or do I need a younger tree? ???...

How do you want to train it? they don't make terribly good cordons, espaliers or even fans, and are generally grown as a normal bush form tree. You can festoon it, here are some links: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/smf/index.php?topic=22188.msg220645#msg220645
and http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/smf/index.php?topic=19156.msg197751#msg197751
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 16:04:48 by jennym »

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 17:31:00 »
Wow, that was very helpful. Thanks jenny!
I do like the idea of festooning it. I was thinking of fan but I don't want to force my plum tree into a fan if it will not do well.
I like your plum tree on the picture! How has it been doing? Did it fruit well? :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2006, 20:12:35 »
Tora, the plum tree did ok thanks very much. This year was a good year all round for fruit, but wasn't sure if this tree would suffer because of the move. I did make an effort to water it when there was no rain, and did get quite a few plums from it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal