Author Topic: the fruit trees are in at lidl  (Read 12556 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
the fruit trees are in at lidl
« on: October 26, 2006, 17:32:50 »
well, the fruit trees have come in to our lidl, priced £3.99, no sign of the bushes yet, they look pretty healthy though

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
Re: the fruit trees are in at lidl
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 17:50:34 »
I had a look on their website and it doesn't look as though they will be in at our local store. Where are they  going to be in please? What location?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 17:52:37 »
they weren't on our website, they were just by the door today, 3 varieties of apple, 2 plums, 2 pears and a morello cherry, that I saw

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 17:55:35 »
Hi

Can you let me know the apple and plum variatlys when your in as i will have to get a friend to pick these up for me and would like to make sure i get the right ones.

thanks

cambourne7 with a sore head

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 17:58:41 »
Lidls in Norwich had lots of big healthy looking fruit trees but no room for them here.  Did buy loads of acrylic paints & canvases - spent 90 quid must be something of a record.  Daughter & I had great fun getting them all home on our bikes in the wind.

hairyhippy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 18:25:54 »
How tall are the trees?

I'm trying to work out how to get them home.

It'll either be the bike and trailer or the bus.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 18:38:42 »
they're about 4'6" tall, will let you know tomorrow what sorts there are, will ask about the bushes while I'm there

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 18:47:55 »
Oh Booger, hubby literally just walked in from lidls where he bought his cheapo beer and my cheapo vino collapso! >:(  Will have to quiz him on this weeks contents of Lidls)
 not a fan of the place meself, cheap which is GREAT, but find it is like shopping at a jumble sale for me! >:( ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 06:23:59 »
nothing on my emails either. i'll pop in on the way home just to check. 

thanks for the tip off manicscouser.

edit:  oops, got a bit enthusiastic ...... again !!!  Got two Stella Cherries,  a Bramley Apple and Granny Smiths apple this morning.  Now to read up on where I can put them.  Oh dear, I do wish I could keep myself under control a bit better.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:53:55 by MrsKP »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 16:44:44 »
Hi all, thanks for the tip.

I bought two victoria plum trees and one stella cherry, which are now in the ground.
They also had greengages which were very tempting, I already have apples and pear from previous years. This years trees seem very sturdy.

One local (Norwich) shop had none and the assistant knew nothing about them (and was useless and off-putting) but I went to the other afterwards as I thought I`d rather trust Marymary.  :)

I was able to carry them to my plot which is close by. If I had space I`d plant an orchard.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 16:47:32 »
I bought 3 apple trees last year and have trained them as espaliers along a wall - had 2 cox's, 3 bramleys and one granny smith fruit this year.  Am looking forward to a real harvest next year. Also bought two pear trees from Woolworth's last year too. They were more expensive at £7 each, but one is a 'family' tree, so I'm looking forward to seeing some fruit next year. Oh yes, bought two goosegog bushes at the same time from Lidl which have grown well. Does anyone know when I can expect them to produce fruit?

Tricia

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 16:54:51 »
Hi Tricia,

If mine are anything to go by you`ll get a little fruit next year and loads the year after. Don`t prune the bush till its bigger except to open up the centre, or take off damaged wood if necessary.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 17:38:19 »
Nice to be trusted Columbus, it was the Aylsham Road branch which had loads when I was in there - glad you found them.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 17:48:10 »
having now read the cherries are self-pollinating, i might take one back and swap it for a plum.

I'm sure they will survive in my giant pots until I get the lottie, just need to evaculate the holly and leeks first ! 

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 19:41:29 »
You were right manicscousers. They did have them. I bought 5 trees and am off in the morning to get fruit bushes which are due in then. Thanks again!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 20:03:32 »
thaks for that, i'll go back tomorrow, am looking for a redcurrant bush

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 17:13:49 »
They are also in the Derby branch, just picked up some fruit trees (sounds like the same varieties everywhere), also some black and redcurrant bushes, and raspberry canes for 99p each.

Now I've just got to work out exactly where to put them all....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 17:39:44 »
plums gone when i took my cherry back, so got a cox's orange pippen instead which helps pollinate the other two apparently, plus 2 goosgogs and 3 rasps.

all the trees are in, now to figure out where to put the bushes.

i have a plan.

;D

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 09:37:05 »
I bought a golden gage plum tree. :) Now after reading what everyone bought I feel like I should go back for some more! Problem is, I'm not allowed to plant a tree in my lottie ::)

I got a redcurrant bush from lidl this spring and it's doing really well. ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 14:29:29 »
Thanks Col - maybe we'll get enough goosegogs for a crumble 8).

I had to go across to Lidl, didn't I? :P - and came back with a Victoria plum which is self-pollinating and another Bramley. All the fruit bushes had gone already. I've just planted the plum in a large pot and will have to hope for the best as I have no other space in my small walled garden. Gordon is going to remove a morello cherry tree and replace it with the Bramley, which gives him four apple trees. He was so frustrated this year. The cherry fruited well for the first time and although we had draped the tree with fine netting, he went out one morning to find that every single cherry had gone >:(. That finished him as far as the cherry tree was concerned. It was a gift from his daughter and he needed an excuse to remove it ::). I think he might have kept if it had been an eating cherry though :).

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal