Author Topic: the fruit trees are in at lidl  (Read 12554 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: the fruit trees are in at lidl
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 19:53:52 »
i went in today and i was like a kid in a toy store. they have a hundred and 1 rose bushes at 99p i think. they had loads of different types of flowering shrubs at 99p each...and some fruit bushes at 99p each. They also had the fruit trees. 2 types of pears, 2 types of apples and a cherry. all £3.99. And everything there looked really healthy. they were all bare rooted but were all full of strong thick branches and full of fresh looking buds.

i bought 5 flowering bushes lol.

shirlthegirl43

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 20:16:33 »
I bought 2 golden gage trees.  Wanted a Victoria plum but they didn't seem to have any.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 07:46:29 »
Ooooo I hope they have trees for me when i go this morning!

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 09:39:58 »
Tricia, I have a morello cherry tree in a pot and never had birds picking the fruits. You must have some hungry birds in your garden! :-\

I wanted a stella cherry but lidl had none. I saw only 3 kinds of apples, 2 kinds of pears and golden gage plum. I'm itching to go back to lidl today. ::)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 11:42:51 »
got myself some red currents and gooseberries but sadly no fruit trees yet - i'll keep checking though

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 22:48:57 »
I got 2 apple, 2 cherrie and 2 pears. :)

The pears are 2 different kinds - but are not self-pollinating. According to the labels I may have made a mistake because they mention different kinds for pollinating (which I don't have).

Will the pears still pollinate or is there no chance  :(?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 13:23:09 »
even I succumbed and I have masses of fruit - 4 pears, 2 each of Doyenne (can be difficult) and Beurre Hardy - both these are of different pollinating times but these times are only guides and you have to wait and see, hand pollinate with a paint brush if necessary and if this doesn't work then yes, you'll need a pollinator for each group

It brings a song to my heart that so many people are planting fruit trees and I really hope they work out well for all who have bought them - good luck to all  :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 21:47:19 »
Dan should start up a communual Lidl fruit bush and tree blog.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 15:49:13 »
Tricia, I have a morello cherry tree in a pot and never had birds picking the fruits. You must have some hungry birds in your garden! :-\

I have a morello cherry against a wall, and don't have a problem with the birds as the snails get there first..! Which I find very bizarre.

Does anyone know whether anywhere (Lidl/Netto/Aldi/Woolies/etc) is selling fruit trees on rootstocks that aren't completely dwarf? Wouldn't mind getting a mini-orchard going in the front garden, but they'd need to be nearer 12 feet high rather than about 8 feet..

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 17:43:03 »
Time to spend some more of Tony's money folks. we are off to Liddls tomorrow,pmsl. I have to fill my new plot with something don't I
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 20:28:17 »
I reckon Dan should try to get Lidl to pay the site commission, so many people have bought the trees etc after finding out about it from here :D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 09:37:47 »
The pears are 2 different kinds - but are not self-pollinating. According to the labels I may have made a mistake because they mention different kinds for pollinating (which I don't have). Will the pears still pollinate or is there no chance  :(?

Pears fall into pollination groups. Which varieties have you got RW?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 12:21:52 »
Even if they are in different groups, don't despair. One group will normally pollinate the two on eithe side of it (so Group 2 will pollinate Groups 1,2 and 3), and there may well be otehr trees in the area to provide pollen. If you're not sure of the groups, just give the varieties; it's easy to find out.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 17:29:54 »
Went to Lidll today and all they had was granny smith apples and a pear. had a look round and Tony bought a set of saws. Been sawing logs for the bonfire all afternoon
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 18:39:41 »
shame you don't live near wigan, still got greengages, granny smith apples, stella cherries, plus a pear, not sure of the type

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 22:01:10 »
I have a Pear Doyenne du Comice and a Pear Beurre Hardy. Will they pollinate?
Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 22:42:08 »
Beurre Hardy is Group B, and Comice Group C, so you should be OK. Beurre is strong growing and slow to fruit, and not necessarily reliable. It's supposed to be picked in mid-September and eaten in October, but I just pick pears when they're ready to drop. Comice is really good-tasting, but a light cropper and not always reliable. It's supposed to be picked in mid-October and eaten in November-December.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006, 09:10:29 »
I bought these 2 as well RW - see earlier post

time will tell when you see the blossom arrive and as long as one isn't early in group 2 and the other really late in group 3 then pollination should happen, do it by hand if necessary - if after a few years they are not 'marrying' then you will need pollinators

at £3.99 this is exciting whatever the outcome - I never read the small print does anyone know the source of these trees  :-\

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 17:13:06 »
it didn't have any small print apart from "EC plant passport UK/EW 11977 RP L0001" whatever that means.

???
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2006, 01:06:30 »
Thanks

Planted all 6 trees today. The cherries and apples have good roots. However most of the roots for both pear trees have been cut off and there is not much root left - hopefully they will grow ok.

Regards

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal