Author Topic: Setting up a compost bin at school...  (Read 1031 times)

Conker

• Not So New ...
Setting up a compost bin at school...
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:38:23 »
After our successful day of planting bulbs in about 20 tubs on Thursday, my boss wants us to continue the good work with a compost bin in the grounds of school.  (We can work towards an award called Eco Schools, which encourages the children to think more carefully about re-using, recycling and reducing rubbish amongst other  things.)  We have been given a dalek-type one which is currently sitting on some waste ground near to my classroom and has some of the 'rubbish' from Thursday already at the bottom.

Anyway, if we collect compostable waste from the kids' lunchboxes (apple cores, orange peel, etc) will it compost over winter of we add it every day?  Are we better leaving things till the spring?  Would it be better to add things to the bin just once a week?

We also seem to have lost the vertical door to the gap at the bottom.  I take it that a piece of wood or some such thing would do just as well?

If anyone could offer me some advice on how to set this up well, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want it to fall on it's back before we've started, or the kids won't want to be interested at all, although there is an arguement for them having to come up with some problem solving of their own!

Cheers

Bob
If you bring it upon yourself, take it on the chin like an adult.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Setting up a compost bin at school...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 15:11:47 »
We have a compost bin at our school and we put things in it on a daily basis right through the year.  The compost process does slow down but does not stop all together - frost actually makes it easier for some things to break down.

Ours is a pallet one (I use only daleks on the lotty) that was built for us by a charritable firm that does a lot of recylcig for schools and voluntary groups - anything that can be is reused by schools for subjects such as art.  I will try to find out if they have a website and will edit later.  You can then see if you have anything similar in your area.

That didn't take long:
http://www.seagull-recycling.org.uk/
Most of the site is still under construction though ::)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 15:13:55 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 17:32:19 »
Successful composting in a dalek-type bin can be achieved in about six months given the right conditions and a suitable mix of 'ingredients'. Make sure you stand it on soil in the sunniest position available.  Keep the lid on and block up the door hole with some thick cardboard on the inside (which will eventually compost down too.  In terms of the ingredients, you need a good mix of 'green' and 'brown' waste.  Apple cores and fruit peelings are fine - the smaller you can chop them up the better - but mix these with drier stuff like dried out plant material, shredded paper and cardboard.  You will also need an activator.  Grass clippings are ideal or failing that, urine.  (I am not suggesting you mention the latter to the kids!   ;))

There is lots of sensible advice on composting on the Garden Organic site - see the link below.  All the best,  I think what you are doing for your pupils is highly commendable.   ;D  G x

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/index.php
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:31:03 »
Brilliant that you're setting up a compost at a school! I love the idea and hope it goes well. I think its important that kids can learn about growing things.

Well done you!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal