Author Topic: seed swap idea anyone fancy a go  (Read 10105 times)

chappers

• Not So New ...
seed swap idea anyone fancy a go
« on: November 01, 2006, 23:16:27 »
Anyone fancy a go at this.

Basically it starts off with someone sending a parcel of unwanted/surplus/harvested seeds to someone else they then take a few of what they want and then put in/ top up with some of their own and pass the parcel on to the next one on the list and so on.
You can take what you want and put in what you want veg or flowers whole/part packets or harvested seeds.

I would be willing to co-ordinate and get it started off if anyone was interested.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: seed swap idea anyone fancy a go
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:27:18 »
hm...how big would this parcel get? i mean if there's a lot of people involved the postage could cost a lot.

and also....say if i'm after a certain set of seeds, and i've already had my go and not found what i was looking for....what happens then?

i think it sounds a bit messy.....where as it's much easier for someone to post on here what they have...or what they want...and then the relevent people can contact them.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 16:34:11 »
does sound like quite a good idea, like the idea of a bit of a lucky dip...... my dad used to have a similar thing with his stamp club

.... but wahaj does have a point - if it ain't broke and all that. the swop shop works quite well as it is.... could end up at the end of the list with more than you bargained for.

chappers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 19:23:32 »
Its a bit of fun more than anything, been doing it on river cottage for a couple of years now, keep the postage to under a fiver, it's quite exciting when the package gets to you, to see wahat random delights there may be inside.
By all means keep swapping seed as usual, this is an addition rather than a replacement as to be honest the parcel only gets round once or maybe twice before the spring anyway.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 20:47:59 »
Its a bit of fun more than anything, been doing it on river cottage for a couple of years now, keep the postage to under a fiver, it's quite exciting when the package gets to you, to see wahat random delights there may be inside.
By all means keep swapping seed as usual, this is an addition rather than a replacement as to be honest the parcel only gets round once or maybe twice before the spring anyway.

well...if i wanted a surprises in my garden i'd just buy some dodgy compost from my recycling centre. this time i ended up with corn and sunflower seeds randomly germinating everywhere.

i do think it's a nice idea and will work for some people who are out to try different things etc....but personally i like very specific things in my garden....and i see plant inspiration online and on programs and on other people's gardens. if i like something...i try and look for it. because there are a lot of plants out there that i just dont like.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 21:56:12 »
I can see the fun in this idea and I'd be more than happy to participate.  So if you are looking for the first recipient count me in.  :D

G x
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 22:08:01 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 15:23:13 »
I'll play !! :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

chappers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 15:40:51 »
ok I will put a post on the main board directing people here, as I said its a bit of fun your not obliged to take anything nor put anything in and can always carry on swapping in the usual way too.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 16:35:55 »
count me in too - like I said sounds like a interesting idea, all for trying something new!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 17:55:35 »
Me Prink and SS had a massive swap the other week - took us over an hour...

Unfortunately you may find some greedy @:@@@ might swipe the lot!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 18:00:19 »
It's a risk we have to take I guess, Olive Oil.  I'd like to think everyone here would would play in the spirit intended, though.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 15:40:45 »
Hi

yeh I would be up for that too

if they steal the seeds u got their address

maybe when the parcel gets too big the person who has it could
split it in two and double the chain

peter
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 21:23:26 »
Can I join in please? Sounds as though it could be interesting. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 22:39:09 »
me too.

chappers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 19:00:26 »
ok folks I have posted something in the main forum to see if it drums up any more interest.
In the meantime if anyone who wants to participate PMs me their address then I will get the list and parcel together and post it to the first recipient on the list.
Will give it another week to give anyone else a chance and post it a week Monday.
If anyone  wants to join after the parcel is on its way I'm sure we could track down the parcels whereabouts and add you to the list .

Best wishes

Gareth

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 19:28:03 »
Count me in too!! Sounds like fun and I've got lots of spare seeds to add in.

ted72

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 18:58:15 »
Yes this round robin sounds like a fun idea, love suprises.

Will pm my address.

trina
never drive faster than angels can fly

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 14:36:34 »
Ooh, go on then, I'll join in.. :)

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 17:20:03 »