Author Topic: seed swap idea anyone fancy a go  (Read 10106 times)

sarah

• Hectare
Re: seed swap idea anyone fancy a go
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 13:44:40 »
if ya do can i play?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 18:30:10 »
yes please count me in too !!! ;D

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 20:23:42 »
Shall we make some rules, and then find someone to host it.
If nobody else will host it I can do, but I am quite busy at the mo.
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 20:39:59 »
I think the key is to keep it simple.  How about calling it something like 'Pass the Seed Parcel'?

The host (anyone who has a few varieties of seed to spare and known as player number 1) calls for a certain number of members to participate - maybe 6-10 'players' - via the swap shop.

Once the number of players is reached the host sends the parcel to the first person who said they want to play and locks the thread.

That player (number 2) can take as many seed packets from the parcel as s/he wants but must replace the packets with an equal or larger number of seed packets and they pass it on to player number 3 and so on until the last player returns the parcel to player number 1 who gets to keep whatever is in it.

New Pass the Seed Parcel threads can be started at anytime.

That way, only one person will be revealing their address details to one other at any one time and we avoid any potential scams.

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 10:32:41 »
I've just taken part in a seed swap on another forum.  Each participant sent their name and address to the organiser at the start.  The parcel was started and as well as containing seeds it contained written instructions and a list of all participants names and addresses.  When you got it, you crossed your name and address off the list, did your swapsies, and sent it to the next person on the list.  It was stressed that the details were only to be used for the purpose of the swap (same really as if we PM our addresses to others for swapping on here).  You also PM'ed the organiser to let them know when the parcel had been passed on, so the parcel could be tracked and chased up if need be.  And you were asked to get it back in the post as soon as possible.  I think there were just over 20 people involved in the other swap.  If people got it back in the post in a day or so, it would work fairly quickly, ie you really don't want each person taking a week or so to pass it on.  (And with hindsight if I'd got my seeds ready to go in before the parcel arrived I could have got it back in the post a day earlier).

I was a little concerned how much I might be spending on postage (obviously it depends how big the parcel is).  In the end it was about £1.70 to post it on, and for the seeds I got to keep I felt that was worth it.  It wasn't large quantities of each seed, but the variety of different / unusual varietes that worked for me as I like to try a little of lots of different things.

You could take out as much or as little as you wanted, and put in as little or as much as you had.  It didn't work on a like for like basis numbers wise but I assume over the life of the parcel it all balances out. I know I put more in than I took out and I got just as much fun going through my seed box working out what I could put in, and what might be growing up and down the country for other people this coming year!

One thing I thought of afterwards was if it was just for edibles?  That's all that was in the other one, but I don't know if that was deliberate, or just how it turned out...

It was great fun and I would certainly take part in one again :)  So if we're doing one on here, can I add my name to the list please?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 11:04:59 »
I agree with the quick turn around rule in theory but in practice it might not be easy for some, so we might have to exercise a little patience.  I think a mix of edibles and non-edibles would be nice but I don't mind either way.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2007, 12:38:23 »
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound really strict.  Rather something to bear in mind and maybe aim for where possibe then? :)  I was just thinking that as there was quite a large number of participants in the previous swap I took part in, if everyone had kept the parcel for a week or so before sending it on it could have taken 6 months to complete the rounds!  That sounds a good reason for restricting the numbers as you suggested then - and if more want to take part a second one could always be started?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2007, 12:45:14 »
Hey, I wasn't suggesting you were being strict and I quite agree that we need a fairly quick turn around.   ;D

I'm still a bit sceptical about the host collecting addresses of those interested.  That's what Chappers did when he started this thread and now he seems to have disappeared.  I'm not suggesting for one moment that he is doing anything untowards with those addresses, but having raised expectations it's rather disappointing to find that months on, nothing has got off the ground.   :(

G x

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2007, 18:32:49 »
hi everyone

I've just come across this and would love to join in - is it still working and how do we join? I've got loads of seeds still in date and I think it sounds really fun.
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007, 20:34:19 »
Hi CJ.  No, it has all ground to a halt because no-one has volunteered to be the host.   :(  I'm afraid I can't volunteer as I have rather too much on at the moment.  Hopefully someone will come forward soon.

G x

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2007, 06:05:04 »
I'd be happy to host it - ie start if off and keep track of it...  as long as someone else can sort out:

1) the rules (ie does it have to be the same number of swaps, or can people take out / put in whatever you like).
2) the details of how addresses are exchanged, and
3) how many can take part (the more it is, the longer it will take to get round to everyone).

I've got to sort out some seeds for SS on Monday, so sort I could sort out a selection of spares to start it off...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:14:11 by CityChick »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2007, 19:29:22 »
That is very generous of you, CityChick.  I reckon as host you get to set the rules.  So just let us know what they are and count me in.   ;D

G x

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2007, 21:36:24 »
Me too, CC    :)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2007, 21:39:32 »
Made a spread sheet this weekend and i have 108 different varieties so i would be happy to join in. 

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2007, 21:52:56 »
Sounds great fun!

;D ;D ;D
Can I play?

cj :)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 07:31:15 »
okay then, I suggest, to keep it simple:

A list of names and addresses will go with the seeds.  When you get the parcel, do whatever swaps you want, cross your name out and then send the parcel on to the next person on the list.  Also if you can PM me when you've sent it on I can keep track of where it should be...

Seeds can be anything you might swap on here ie edibles, herbs or flowers, and bought or home saved seed.

If there is a large number of people interested we might split it into 2 parcels, so there is a good chance of the parcel getting round in time to grow things this year.

How's that sound?

If you want to play PM me your name and address by noon on Mon 12 Feb 2007.

By the end of today there will be a parcel made up here waiting for some players! ;D

Lisa :)

PS edited to add - suggest we should keep it UK based due to postage costs?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:35:03 by CityChick »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 15:28:21 »
That all sounds sensible, CityChick.  I'll PM you my details.   ;D

G x

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 15:55:41 »
have PMed you too, CityChick.
I'd love to play!!!

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 17:52:52 »
Sounds good to me Have sent you a PM

BB  :D

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2007, 22:01:12 »
Pm'd you citychick - bumping this up on to the front page again in case anyone else wants to join
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal