Author Topic: ladies, is it just me ?  (Read 5889 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
ladies, is it just me ?
« on: October 29, 2006, 15:51:27 »
we've just come back from the plot, please try to read this with a thick, in both terms, lancashire accent
"ee it makes a change to see a woman who knows the difference between a vegetable and a weed "
I'm 54, been growing veg all my life and this condescending idiot quite upset me, even though i know better
I ignored him but feel I should ve said something, he's only about 10 years older than me, for goodness sake !!! :-\

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: ladies, is it just me ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 16:27:00 »
Tell him to get on to the Internet to A4All (bet he doesn't even know how to surf ;)) - he'll soon see how many of us know quite a bit about gardening and that we're not afraid to get our hands dirty either ::) ::) ::). I just hate sexist talk - of any kind >:(.

Tricia

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 19:01:15 »
 ;D ;D ;D >:(

I know! My experience is that loads of men don't know the difference between weeds and other things too!

I just smile and let the plot do the talking, unfortunately at the moment it says..

"Idle git here, not a clue what she is doing!"

There is always next year...

;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 19:08:09 »
I just smile and let the plot do the talking

good one katy 8)
had to do a lot of grinning the first year, not so much the second ;)
give it time scousers ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 19:45:23 »
we've been on the plots for 11 years, just didn't have much to do with the bowling club, in our 'lets be nice to everone'mood, we've started giving them a cuppa when we have one, it means we get the lot, some are funny, some try to shock, like kids, and a couple of them talk to ray and not me, I thought I'd got over it all but it still bugs me, learning a lot about myself and my ability to bite my tongue :-X

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 23:19:21 »
ALWAYS having 'advice' about what I should be doing instead of what I am doing........I smile sweetly and just get on in my own way.The latest was overheard recently after erecting my invertibrate habitat (which I am quite proud of) "what the b****y hell is she up to now?" Don't care, though, my plot is still colourful with marigolds and dahlias + veg and I love it.

Smile, it confuses people.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:59:32 »
you know maggie, if we swopped neighbours for a day we probably wouldn't notice the difference lol

typical convo (re cluster sown onions this time)

tony: you really want to separate them onions
me: oh this is experimental tony, you can say I told you so next year (maidenly laugh)
tony: (deep sigh) it's a waste of onion seed
me: shall I mulch them some more then you won't have to see them ::)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:16:55 by supersprout »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 21:27:04 »
Just tell the knockers that most of  the third world would starve if it wasn't for the 'ladies' getting their hands dirty.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 23:15:26 »
What a bloody cheek to say that, you should have aimed a spud at him right on target.  M C P that he is. >:(

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 06:36:01 »
He's obviously forgotten about the 'Land Girls'.  Who did he think was looking after the veggies when the men were off to war! ::)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:50:53 »
Reading your post ManicScouser, he could actually be giving you a complement.  Men of his generation have a way of putting things across which is tied to how they were brought up as children in the 30's/40's.  and probably reflect the attitudes of their parents.

My dad (would have been in his 70's) genuinely believed women couldn't handle financial affairs, it was too difficult.  It was what his dad taught him.  The irony is that he only had a daughter who got a degree in engineering and since his death, has unravelled the details of his financials from a load of bits of paper in a tin box.

He, and some of his cronies often came out with odd statements that were actually intended as complements as they were genuinely aware that women are capable, it just wasn't what they were brought up to think.  Bit like finding out the world isn't t flat.  At least your chap was prepared to acknowlege your skill however ineptly rather than refusing to change long held beliefs.

I was the allotments secretary for a while, loads of old giffers, won 'em round slowly, but did have to learn to see their world through their eyes first.  As I get older I'm beginning to feel sympathy as I struggle to understand "yoof" culture.  takes all sorts.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 10:49:00 »
it was the way he slagged his wife off after that, I tried to explain that he probably got clean, ironed clothes and a nicely ran house but he still had a go at her, in the end I just said she must have something or he wouldn't still be with her, I rather think it's the other way round  ;)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 11:05:57 »
"ee it makes a change to see a woman who knows the difference between a vegetable and a weed "

I wonder how many times his ma served him Sunday roast with dock roots and ground elder?

(As you do, of course, if you're the regular kind of woman that manicscousers' plot neighbour seems to know?)

;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 11:18:29 »
that's brilliant, thanks, made me laugh !!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 13:32:53 »
we've just come back from the plot, please try to read this with a thick, in both terms, lancashire accent
I'm 54, been growing veg all my life and this condescending idiot quite upset me, even though i know better
I ignored him but feel I should ve said something, he's only about 10 years older than me, for goodness sake !!! :-\

and you say "yes, it is a great asset to be able to tell the difference, would you like me to say which one you are sir?"  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 14:00:34 »
roflmao triffid and calendula, why can't I ever think up a good retort like that at the time? >:( ;D

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 17:28:06 »
Although I'm a male, and coming up 30 :( a few of the older plot holders at my site are also a little " you don't wanna do it like that" but you just have to smile and say "yes I was going to try that, maybe i shall have a go next year" It always seems to cheers them up! Guess they are just trying to be helpful.
no need for them to be quite so rude to you though.

Regards

Matt

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 18:16:25 »
Old Jacks line to me is......'not wanting to teach you how to suck egss, but the way I do it is.....'  I don't mind at all, he is a love and I just blow raspberries and we laugh.  A few of the oldies were suprised by the amount of work I do on the plot and the quantity and quality of the fruit and veg I produced as our site is suffering from a lot of 'seemed like a good idea at the time' - dig some, sow a few seeds, don't weed, seedlings die, they give up.  Now some of the buggers ask me advice!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 20:15:52 »
Leading by example is always the best way.... we are getting a much better (more active) class of gardener these last few years and yes a lot of them are women...good on them I say!
 8)
Saddad (Male aged 45!)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 21:07:06 »
luckily everyone else is fine and this man's not actually on the allotments, he's from the bowling green, we've started giving them cuppas and having a good laugh with them, he's not there all the time so i'm just evading him when I can  :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 21:35:28 by manicscousers »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal