Author Topic: ladies, is it just me ?  (Read 5925 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: ladies, is it just me ?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 21:34:05 »
Ground Elder is definitely edible Triffid... not that I'd want to put it to the test!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 07:46:47 »
the Romans (curse them!) are supposed to have introduced it as a vegetable.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 12:01:32 »
After reading this I was curious to see how the "old boys" would be towards me but I have to say that everyone I've met so far has been friendly, helpful and ready to offer advice. I've also had a big bag of beetroot and "a coupla of leeks for your dinner" two weeks running! But it's early days and I haven't grown anything yet...

So far I'm grateful for any advice and as most of it's coming from someone who's had his plot for 45 years I'm listening to every word!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 12:07:58 »
his name's not eric, is it, he's the one we all turn to, been there for 40 years and waits to be asked, he's brilliant !

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 01:29:42 »
Think EJ has got it right - never let them think you are "bothered" ;)  Mind you 20+ years ago it was worse and it was Mr W who got the sarcy comments about "having to bring the wife along" which he totally ignored. They were nearer the truth than they knew tho as it really was a case of if you can't beat them join them. But now that there are so many women on the site they wouldn't dare say a word as our plots speak for themselves!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 20:10:47 »
when i first got my plot I know the old boys said 'another two week wonder' ::)

now 7 years on they ask me for advise,smiling sweetly all these years seems to have done the trick ;D

if i had a pound for every time an old boy says 'you grow a lot of flowers,you can't eat them'(oh yes you can :P) i would be a very rich woman,i don't have a lot of pests on my plot because the flowers bring the good bugs in.

women garden differently to men, you can always spot a woman's allotment,its almost always pretty ;D ;D/shades x
grow your own way

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 20:17:54 »
Bless hey! Being of sound mind etc. when I stupidly asked a bloke if his wife ever came to the lottie I guess I deseved the answer. "Ladies dont come here" Oh well another one bites the dust!!!!!
Marigold

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 09:59:05 »
Too right Angleshades, mine had a low hedge at the front of hebe which had lovely little flowers, even though I clipped it to keep it neat.  I grew sweet peas amongst my runner beans and Rainbow chard.

The chard was the subject of much discussion, being a new fangled food crop.

Of course, you can spot a man's plot by the obsessively straight lines and total absence of weeds between crops.

Having dropped that grenade, I shall retreat to a tele conference
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 00:44:57 »
Ground Elder is definitely edible Triffid... not that I'd want to put it to the test!
 ;D

;D

Never said it wasn't edible, Saddad   ;) ...
but to quote the immortal lines from Crocodile Dundee (about bush tucker):

'Can you really eat that?'
'You can live on it... but it tastes like s**t.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 07:58:43 »
" Needs Garlic!"
 ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 15:26:43 »
Well - i've had nothing but friendliness shown to me so far!

One chap came over to me on Thursday and said "I hear the hinges on your shed are dodgy - would you like me to fix them?" - and he promptly did!   What a gent! - he'd bought all his stuff along with him just in case I was about! :)

...mind you - I think my no-dig organic beds might raide the odd eyebrow!

But nothing but welcomes so far!

Louisewomble

Grow yer bugger grow!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 17:45:41 »
the 'oldies on the plot are brill, it's the only one of the others from the fringes( the bowling green) that's the problem, found out, he's everybody's problem, men and women, feel better  :D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 18:16:02 »
I LOVE being a woman allotment holder and it was even MORE enjoyable when I was the Secretary of the Allotment Association!

My neighbours and long-term lottie holders (upwards of 70yrs and of all species and international denominations) took a while to be convinced that someone with t*ts can possibly know how to grow sweetcorn and borlottii beans.

I haven't managed to convince them that a trench next to my shed could possibly grow watercress next year ... but hey ho! Dario is bringing me a bottle of damson wine tomorrow - no doubt to make up for me being a 'spinster'!!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal