Author Topic: water basins  (Read 1468 times)

Cinnamon

• Not So New ...
  • The death of weeds
water basins
« on: April 07, 2004, 16:50:08 »
Hiyas,

at the bottom of my allotment, there is a water supply, complete with something that looks like a bathtub, but doesn't seem to have an outlet.

Well, its pretty muddy in there, and its full and I've no idea what purpose this thing serves (other than look pretty icky and it'll probably smell too in the Summer, eek).  

However, no-one drags about 20 of them onto an allotment for want of something to do, so, the tubs must have a reason to be, but what is it?

Cinnamon

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re:water basins
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 17:25:30 »
..perhaps just water storage tanks?
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 19:21:59 »
We'd an old bath at the end of the plot - full of foetid green water and mud.  Eventually got round to emptying it, turning it upside down for the accumulated mud and gunge to dry and drop out.

Only to get an earful the next weekend - a couple of the other lads had been using it for years to wash their veg before they took them home :o :o  Yuk.

Some day, when I've the time, I'll sink it in a hole and make a pond, I reckon.

All best, Gavin

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 20:08:02 »
If they have a permanant supply they were proberly used in conjunction with a ball thingy. Better than a tap as the water flow is switched off automaticly and you fill your cans from the tub. One idea

Len

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 12:27:14 »
On our old family plot in Surrey there used to be several metal water tanks dotted around the site.  There were no taps.  These tanks were filled by a ballco*k kinda thing.  We did use to clean them out once in a blue moon as they did get pretty yucky after a summer of using them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal