Author Topic: re-using seed and potting on compost  (Read 1910 times)

rdak

re-using seed and potting on compost
« on: April 07, 2004, 16:32:01 »
what does everyone do with their compost used for seed germination and potting on? Once I have pricked out seedlings from a tray, I have been reusing the tray for other seeds-- is it adviseable to do this?
When I've finished with all my seedlings, should I just keep the seed compost for next year or chuck onto the general compost heap?

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:re-using seed and potting on compost
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 17:23:42 »
Providing it is not diseased I use mine in the bottom third of any containers I fill.

It saves on the new potting compost.

Plus my seed compost is 50-50 sand and compost so makes a reasonable drainage layer.

The Gardener

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 17:35:35 »
As Gardener says, providing it is clean, I use mine for potatoes early in the season (handy as you 'earth them up' as the potting compost becomes available!).  Later on, I us it for my toms in pots or for my annuals in tubs because I'm going to feed them all well anyway.

If I have it, I add a layer or two of chopped comfrey leaves into the pots as I fill them.

AC
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 18:07:50 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 18:04:58 »
I sling it on the garden-but I`m sure it could get used as mentioned-it`s just that I buy it by the pallet load so it does not cost me that much.

stephan

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 09:57:55 »
depends really on what I need. Sometimes it goes on the compost heap, sometimes I use it in pots like the gardener, other times as a mulch.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 12:22:58 »
Seed trays should be washed between uses (well, I know they should but do I...no!) and old compost gets slung into a bucket which I then use when filling my pots of summer things, or potting on last years baby perennials before they get out in the garden or I bung it on the garden, like a mulch I guess.  If it has vine weevils in it...gggrrr... then I pick through it carefully removing all the grubs, then bung it on my compost heap and hope the heat does the trick.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal