Author Topic: how do design a garden?  (Read 1227 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
how do design a garden?
« on: August 28, 2006, 00:34:27 »
Hi!

ok so it's my first year of gardening. i started a bit late (end of may) so most things that needed sowing were late. my glads and sunflowers should just start flowering in the next few weeks so they're late as they are.

i just get so over whelmed with all this designing stuff. i have lots of tsuff prepared for next year. i've got my biannuals in the ground...i've already got some of next years glads in there...i have some begonias ready...i have hundreds of bulbs (crocuses, daffs, glads, tulips, different alliums, bluebells) and just countless different types of seeds.

i'm just scratching my head as to where i should put everything. i know the sort of theory that tallest at the back, shortest at the front. but i've seen a lady down the road who's done that but even then her garden looks like alice in wonderland! it's packed full of random plants everywhere without any sense.

what do you put next to what? and the biggest problem i have is that i want to plant bulbs and perennials and annuals and evergreens in the same border. but i can never figure out when something's going to sprout, flower and die. do you see what i mean?

like say if i put daffs in a patch and on top of that i put in rudbeckia...does that mean the daffs will sprout up...do their things....die back and then the rudbeckia can do it's thing in late summer? is it wise to plant 2 things in one space?

i'm asking this because i don't like to see people's gardens that have empty spaces in them where something's just finished flowering and nothing's going to happen in that patch till next year.

thanks for the help :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: how do design a garden?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 00:46:53 »
Get them in, and if it doesn't work, move them. There aren't many plants that really object to being moved if it's done carefully. If you want something that doesn't look haphazard, stick to having lots each of relatively few flowers. Too many different types will always look a bit messy.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: how do design a garden?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 00:48:23 »
oh....right...haha. ok...does that mean i can move my lupins? i've stupidly planted them in shade....is it best to move now or spring?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal