Author Topic: Finally - a bargain at Wyvale!!  (Read 6066 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Finally - a bargain at Wyvale!!
« on: August 27, 2006, 17:07:12 »
Gotta be first in living memory, this..just got this email from a friend...this is our local Wyvale, but worth checking out yours?

Dunno if of any interest to you but I went to Wyvale this morning - spent 99p (phew!) and got a voucher for a free 2.5 litre bag of spring bulbs - to collect between 11th and 30th September.

They were giving them away at the till with receipts.

Can't be a minimum spend. 

I'll be going on the 11th to get my freebies!

And I'll be checking out tomorrow if it was just a one-off and also if I get a voucher each time I buy things there? Dunno what my friend bought for 99p, but I bet I need quite a few of them - unless they're kneepads ;D

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Finally - a bargain at Wyvale!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 17:17:02 »
They have got to get a customer somehow. I would never use them. Robin killers, :'( timber from illegal foresting,  :o treat their workers like sh!t, I bet there is a catch with the bulbs.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 07:01:33 »
good job i haven't got one then.   :'( :'( :'(
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 12:22:25 »
They were doing remaindered seeds at 25p a packet, last weekend... spent £20, not all the seeds were remaindered but they were still in date, sow by 08... and from three diff cats. T+M, Suttons and Carters... got two vouchers as well for free bulbs...
 ;D

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 12:30:38 »
I swooped on the seeds, too  :)  but didn't get any vouchers ...  :(

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:50:45 »
They have got to get a customer somehow. I would never use them. Robin killers, :'( timber from illegal foresting,  :o treat their workers like sh!t, I bet there is a catch with the bulbs.
What do they do to robins??
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 13:03:09 »
Who killed thingy Robin? Actually, it was a garden centre conspiracy
(Filed: 23/05/2004)

And it wasn't just the adult bird who died: two chicks were dealt the same fate. Elizabeth Day investigates a 'crime' that has caused outrage

It seemed an unlikely crime scene, but lurking among the lush foliage, piles of compost bags and ornamental plant pots, was a cold-blooded killer.

Last week, at Wyevale Garden Centre in Thornbury, Gloucestershire, three robins were assassinated by pest control operatives. Their crime? Allegedly causing a public health risk by flying around the centre's cafeteria.

They shot them.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 13:35:18 »
 >:(

Ace! Is this true? They shot them?

Is there a campaign to register how appalled I am? If so, why not and how do I start one?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 14:11:24 »
It was a couple of years ago, last year they got caught out selling garden furniture made from illegal logging. There is a campaign, Just stop using their garden centres.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 14:14:11 »
Were Wyvales not bought out recently? :-\

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 14:20:36 »
 :-\

Think it might be a mainly southern outfit, don't know of any round here, so I will definitely be boycotting them!

;)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 15:58:59 »
I thought that Wyevale's was a franchised business.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 16:06:43 »
Spent 15.00, would have cost 118.39, whose a happy boy then?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 16:23:43 »
me, spent 75p, got free voucher for bulbs 8)...will be back tomorrow when I've trawled through my seeds - another free voucher ;D...

Wy(e)vale....is a plc, originated in Hereford in the 30s & Head Office still there. I've had some business dealings with them recently (hence my thought that they'd sold out - was certainly on the cards some months back)

Interesting, their published stance on environmental/ethical issues? (nothing about shooting robins, tho >:()....here it is:-

http://www.wyevale.co.uk/pressreleases.asp

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 19:02:36 »
It doesn't say they won't shoot robins either. there's a massive official report here http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/vertebrates/reports/robins-report.pdf which amply confirms the story.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 19:54:41 »
Look up the greenpeace papers on wyevale garden furniture which involves illegal logging and support of a military dictatorship.

Their table  puts good old B&Q as being one of the best in sourcing their furniture  timber.

Also their grounds maintenance company put in very low tenders when they apply to take over council grounds work. Then they pay their workers very low wages and the worker then has to apply for social payments and tax rebates. This means that the tax payers are subsidising their workforce.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 19:59:24 by ACE »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 20:02:01 »
I had better get off my soap box. Blimey Lish you started something with your free bulbs I hope you enjoy them. ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 20:12:31 »
I'm glad I haven't got one near me!

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 20:18:06 »
I had better get off my soap box. Blimey Lish you started something with your free bulbs I hope you enjoy them. ;D

ACE I;m just glad I DID post it.....surprising what creeps out of the woodwork, eh?  Carry on mate  8)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 20:23:23 »
I can see you next time you're in there Lish, snarling and growling "Robin killers " out the side of your mouth.
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal