Author Topic: Nostalgia?  (Read 20006 times)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
Re: Nostalgia?
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2006, 23:02:16 »
Oh yeah the Twink perm with those pink plastic curlers it never worked even if they said it would  ::)
Does any one remember hula hoops I practiced no end to keep it going  8)
And those net underskirts that Mam used to put in sugar water to keep em stiff   :D
I am going back now what about whip and tops they always flew off and clouted some one on the back of the head   ;)
What about those woollen hats with an Alice band and a straggly pony tail was really upset cos Mam wouldn't buy me one, I'm in therapy because of that  ;D
This has been great, how did it start radio programmes  ???

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2006, 23:13:10 »
Lishka I LOVED the Pullein-Thompson books - totally engrossed from an early age. And Pat Smythe too - and she was a real show jumper. Was staying with friends recently and they have a signed copy of 'Jump for Joy' - I was impressed!

Katy - keep talking, and I'll keep squeaking 'yes'!

CLx

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2006, 23:17:49 »
.....and in non pony-mad moments....any one else a fan of the Chalet School books! Delish! 'Eustacia goes to chalet school' and so on....Fab! CLx

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2006, 23:31:21 »
mmmmm, great thread......those Pullen-whatsit sisters? cos I'm sure there were about 3 of them  writing horsey books for little girls - I've tried googling, too & come up with zilch....got the Pullen right, I'm sure, AND the hyphen 8) but think the last name's wrong?....funny tho, heard one of the sisters talking on Radio4 just a few months back

Oh, those 'frou-frou' underskirts & starching them with sugar&water IN THE SUMMER and getting attacked by wasps round me nether-regions ;D

Howzabout 50s mobile phones = 2 cocoa tins & string? Brill they were, and we learned semophore so that we could talk to our friends in the houses over the way when we were all supposed to be in bed asleep at 7.30pm on a summer's night ::)

And Friday night Amami Night? How could anyone forget?! It was years and years later that I realized the true pronounciation & what it meant.....

And Choc....if you think you've got problems being in therapy an'all, just think of me IN TRACTION trying to keep one of those hoops up! And did you know? They're selling them at our Pound Shop now! But times change....when I saw them I thought....ooo yes! a TopTip!! a Hoola-hoop cut in half.....what a SPLENDID frame for a cloche ;D ;D ;D

(aha........PullEin-Thompson......thanks SO much CL... I can now go to bed) :)

No I can't -  not yet. Who were the twins at the chalet school? One did boring domestic science stuff and got told off cos her potato peelings were too thick, and the other got to do more interesting stuff (but can't quite remember what it was....car mechanics perhaps?)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2006, 23:49:30 »
What a good idea using the hula hoops for cloches will have to send sister up for some
And Lisha what does Amani Night stand for I'm a bit thick ???
Any one remember Milly Molly Mandy she lived in a thatched cottage and had adventures  :D
Secret Severn, Famous Five,The Brontes did we read more than the kids today it seems like it   ::)
Mam sending me to the library every Saturday ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2006, 00:23:25 »
.Any one remember Milly Molly Mandy she lived in a thatched cottage and had adventures  :D

OOh yes and she lived wiv Muvver and Farver..... ;D

Give me Billy Bunter any day. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2006, 07:21:41 »
Ah, now we're talking childhood.  Enid Blyton! (not terribly PC these days though). Eldest g'daughter (13) was given a set of the Malory Towers books by mum-in-law.  I thought she might find them a bit boring (although I'd be quite happy to re-read them), but she loves 'em.  I always thought I'd had a deprived childhood coz I didn't go to boarding school or have adventures like Malory Towers, Famous Five, Chalet School et al. 

Talking of nostalgia, re-met an old friend through Friends Reunited, and we hadn't seen each other for over 30 years.  She came over to Blackpool for the weekend and we had a great time.  Anyway, I digress, what I was going to say was, the thing I remember most about her is her grandma's house still had gas lights (like those horrid smelly caravan ones). 

Ah, there's another memory, caravan holidays......................

I'll shut up now, before I bore you all................

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2006, 10:45:48 »
 ;D ;D

Vesta Beef Curry! In a packet, loaded with E numbers probably! Seemed the height of sophistication when I was 11!

8)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2006, 10:56:20 »
Snap again Katy! I remember my mother getting those occcasionally - as a treat?! Hideous!

For Chalet School girls, look at this ......
http://www.newchaletclub.co.uk/

And Angela Brazil? 'The nicest girl in the school'  and so on......

Reading then (including the Brontes, didn't like Dickens), and still reading now....CLx

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2006, 11:16:42 »
I've been sitting on my hands trying not to get pulled in, but....

Vesta Curry -YES! YES! YES!  Sooooo exotic, and those chewy bits of reconstituted chichen or prawn.  Luxury.

Telly switching off during the day and coming on again for Children's TV when I got in from school, Little Nose, Noggin the Nog ( sadly now illegal) Fanny & Johhny ( definitely illegal) "Get Down Shep",  Secret Seven, doing your times tables, knitted socks with elastic rings to keep them up, warm school milk in bottles, getting snowed in EVERY winter, potted hough, The Tomorrow People.

Enough, I gotta go and refocus back into the real world, I'm a grown up now don't you know.   :-\
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2006, 21:53:57 »
What about COD LIVER OIL & MALT at school or COD LIVER OIL CAPSULES, just before we had our milk at playtime

The school NIT nurse Hehehehehe!! :o  ahhhhh!! those were the days.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2006, 22:05:19 »
Rose Hip syrup anyone?......Teaspoon every night along with the cod liver oil! Mils at school? Loathsome! Luckily someone would always take mine.....CLx (who still does not drink milk except in tea or coffee!)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2006, 22:20:31 »
And that glass bottle of free concentrated orange juice for youngsters and babies to get that vitamin 'C' ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2006, 23:18:05 »
And of course NATIONAL DRIED MILK our 3 children thrived on it and the orange juice.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2006, 23:33:53 »
If I started to look a bit 'peely wally' my mum gave me a dose of 'Syrup of figs' on a Friday night to clean me out over the weeknd.   Now that was cruel.  I remember all the other memories of years ago.  My Ma in law was the Nit Nurse as part of her job.  I had Nits twice and managed to pass them onto my Mum and Dad. 

::) ::) ::) ::)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2006, 00:00:48 »
What about listening to  the comedies on the "wireless" - Up The Pole (Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warriss) and ITMA were my favourites - remember being really upset hearing Tommy Handley had died (I was in hospital at the time and all of 9 years old :'()  Childrens Hour with Uncle Mac and Auntie Kathleen were the most proper I expect but used to love get really scared listening "The Black Museum" !

MY Mum and Dad were real film goers and being the youngest I was always taken along whether suitable or not - drooled over Michael Wilding in The Courtneys of Courzon Street whe I was far too young!!

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2006, 08:21:21 »
Then there was “Much binding in the marsh” with Kenneth Horne and Richard Murdoch. ;D
http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/mbitm.wav

In Town Tonight  ;D
http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/intowntonight.wav
http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/ittending.wav

Dick Barton Special Agent ;D
http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2006, 09:04:27 »
Remember Childrens Newsreel?

Smile, it confuses people.

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2006, 11:11:04 »
Talking about gas lights in the house, granddad wouldn't have them taken out as he said electric was bad for you  ???
They lived in a long terraced street and even till his 90s granddad used to light the streets gas lamps and knock folk up for work at the same time. Thats only 50 odd yrs ago but it seems an eternity. ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2006, 11:27:30 »
I remember some friends of mine moving iinto a bungalow which was apparently the first house in Whitemoor to have electric, way back between the wars. At the time they'd said 'We'll never get electric in Whitemoor'!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal