Author Topic: Well - bang goes my well planned 'continuity'.  (Read 6555 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Well - bang goes my well planned 'continuity'.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 16:31:21 »
Nice slap in the face. Please give me an example, Roy??

Jumping to Roy's defence I can see where he's coming from with "as your titles tell us novices little of what you are talking about, so consequently we can’t join in." an example would be
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,72/topic,20725.0

meant nothing to me

but I'm the guy that Tim called "borin boring boring glow" because I dared to ask about planting Aubs in March

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 16:45:03 »
Alright - I could have said 'because all ours are self-seeded'. But one can always ask, if interested? And I could show you 100 titles by others which give no lead whatsoever into the subject.

So, Ian, please PM me with that Aub link - can't trace it - so that I can give a full apology if it was intended as an insult. It's obviously been wrankling?

PS - later - Obscure titles? Did you open the 'why buy' one? Don't we all try to tempt a view??
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 17:53:38 by tim »

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 16:53:14 »
what the dickens are you taking offence at roy and glow? :)

is it the heat? ::)
we all give and take allsorts of things on here-and just click at random-if it still doesnt make sense then ask.....i've seen allsorts of weird and wacky titles on here-it adds to the fun of it-blimey-if everything was spelled out in coloured bricks it'd be blinking borin'....

in cyberspace ,not only can no-one hear you scream but you dont hear the tone of voice...i doubt very much wether anyone..especially tim,would be out and out rude glow-maybe he was refering to the activity of trying aubs in march...
and even on hand cranked dial up..like me...it takes but a second to click on a post-see if its relevant or not and take part or move on...
 ::)
now stop getting all touchy or i shall be round to sort you out! ;D ;D
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 17:04:22 »
Time to cool off and back to basics, everyone? Succession sowing of lettuces (and radishes, come to that)......how is it achieved?  We've all got prior knowledge of Tim's 'x' years of growing stuff, so we can assume his plants not stressed by overcrowding? But still they''ve grown lanky to the point of bolt,  & not hearted up. So what's the solution, please?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 17:15:51 »
buy one from tescos.........

okay -so it wasnt a very funny joke..but its hot...and i'm melting....and i broke me blinkin drill today and i still have aone more raised bed left to do...and i'm hungry....

and theres no joy in eating chocolate in this heat even if its straight from the  fridge..
*sigh*
and they think they have it tough in lebanon..

okay-that wasnt funny either..
before anyone rushes to post-no-one-but NO-ONE has more sympathy for the lebanese than me....it was a throwaway joke..see? :-[
its gone... :-\

seriously-i think next year i will get the lettuces  in before july and what works will stay wha doesnt goes to the chickens...they dont care!
and i shall sow some seed again when its cooler if possible.....
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 17:29:16 »
Very generous thought, Lishka! Close, but not crowded - for a Gem type.

I blame the raised bed. The Tin Tin & Little Gem in the other bed were much further advanced before they ran out of moisture?

As to the 'discussion', I'm all for clearing the air. Even if it's hot air!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 17:31:38 »
"Buying one from Tescos".......and I've been wondering......is it possible  to supply a home market with salad stuff, given our disasters with succession sowed lettuce & radish? Looking at Tim's pix & knowing the man (in a cyber-sort of way, I hasten to add ;)), if an experienced amateur grower like Tim can't come up with the goods.....how can we?

What on earth is the secret of me, in the Midlands, in a near-drought, producing fresh salad leaves & radishes, etc. for my ladies -  I really really want to know, please?

Before I started doing this, I'd NO idea how hard, ie downright impossible, it seems  to do without specialized conditions/equipment.

btw Kits....... ;D ;D ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 17:32:37 »
I blame the raised bed. The Tin Tin & Little Gem in the other bed were much further advanced before they ran out of moisture?

'Raised bed' is no substitute for 'deep bed' IMHO  ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 17:37:56 by supersprout »

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 17:46:17 »
I have come up with a small scale solution to the "too hot for lettuce" problem, I have a bucket with some cut and come again growing in my greenhouse, it is shaded and well watered and as not dared to bolt yet but the ones in the garden are turning into christmas tree's as we speak.  Maybe I am just lucky?

Helen

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 17:47:00 »
Oh, Sprouty, IYHO eh?? Try bending over my stomach from my height & not overbalance?

I LOVE raised beds. Given everything else equal. Like the weather? And the ban?

And one of the plus things for them was that they were all fresh soil & rot free for alliums.

But I made the mistake of using JIC rather than soil - you can pour cans of water on it & it makes like a Burberry.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 18:17:37 »
Hi Tim,

The word that seems to be missed in your title is ' continuity '.
To me this means sowing seeds say every two weeks to get a continuous run of crops during the season.  Do I take it from your photo that not only are your lettuces about to bolt ( which personally I put down to the heat and lack of rain ), but that they have caught up with each other? The second point, the catching up, I honestly have no idea. In a shady area of my veg patch I have some salad lettuce growing which I water every night, this seems to be growing ' normally ' , whereas the lettuce in direct sunlight, like yours appears to be about to bolt.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 18:43:26 »
Mike - like the Little Gem in the other photo, they were well spaced in time. But 3 sowings have all been ready at the same time. Very unusual. And VERY annoying!

And, yes, 2 weeks is typical. But, for early sowings, I would make that 3-4?

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 21:04:49 »
I'm new to growing veg . I find Tims posts very helpful and always look for them

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 21:19:26 »
I made the mistake of using JIC rather than soil - you can pour cans of water on it & it makes like a Burberry.

oo I am going to plant soft fruit this autumn tim, will look out for it ::) ;)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 00:05:48 »
Nice slap in the face. Please give me an example, Roy??

I just speak my mind.

I speak mine too and it does get me into trouble sometimes, ::)  it wasn’t intended as a “Nice slap in the face” Tim, just a point of view,  ??? as you’ve asked for an example I have added a couple of your links as I couldn’t wade through all of your posts over the last month
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/smf/index.php/topic,22671.msg224069.html#msg224069
No comment.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg221311.html#msg221311
I thought they were butternut squash.

A bit harsh there Roy. This is called "Allotments for All", not "Allotments for Beginners". If you don't like someone's threads, don't read them.
Tim - I like your threads.

What a silly thing to say Ollie ???  if I don’t read them how am I going to find out if I like them or not? ???  I also like Tim’s threads but if I can’t continue to enjoy them then I will say so rather than not read them ::)  in the hope it will help the novices like me, I see no point in just addressing experienced gardeners that can guess what’s going on, we will finish up with a clique club. 8)

now stop getting all touchy or i shall be round to sort you out! ;D ;D
kitty
xx

Kitty ;)  you can sort me out any time, I am in desperate need of it… :o (sorting out that is). ;D

Rant over, I assume the lettuces were consumed Tim and not wasted? I have been eating thinned out lettuce of cos and enjoying them. 8)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 06:43:32 »
Roy, you've lost me. Your links:

1. Curly beans are obviously difficult to deal with? Not amused? Oh, well!

2. Squash? The next post said exactly what they were?

No matter. I'll trundle on in my own sweet way, hoping not to provoke.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 09:08:25 »
Straying further off topic to reply to Roy's original off-topic point...

Sorry for any confusion caused. I should have said "If, in general, you don't like someone's threads, don't read them".

I hope this clarifies things for you Roy.

Also, if people are going to tell others how to post, they should expect feedback themselves on how they post. Calling other posts "silly" really is rather odd as I'm sure you must have known what I meant.

Can't take it? Don't give it! Simple!!!  ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 09:26:26 »
Dan has laid guidelines for behaviour down in the Shed ...

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/smf/index.php/topic,15810.0.html

We should perhaps remember these before we rush to post ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 17:19:42 »
Kitty   you can sort me out any time, I am in desperate need of it…  (sorting out that is).

expect me about 7-ish roy! ;D ;D ;D ;)lol!

right-stop it now-everyone back to work-theres veg to thin and plant-string to save and tie,raised beds to trip over-i went 'a' over' t 'AGAIN!must wear me spex.....mutter mutter... ::)

this thread is officially-and officiously ,closed any complaints please address them care of 'the kitster',lincolnshire-or start another thread! ;D
'k?
k.
luv
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2006, 00:23:54 »
Straying further off topic to reply to Roy's original off-topic point...

Sorry for any confusion caused. I should have said "If, in general, you don't like someone's threads, don't read them".

I hope this clarifies things for you Roy.

Also, if people are going to tell others how to post, they should expect feedback themselves on how they post. Calling other posts "silly" really is rather odd as I'm sure you must have known what I meant.
Can't take it? Don't give it! Simple!!!  ;)

Oh dear that’s another fine mess you’ve got me into, clear as mud Ollie, ::)  “In general I do like Tim’s threads” he is a nice bloke I like him OK?, I expressed a view, am I not allowed? ::) ???

“Expect feed back”? ???  I assume you mean criticism? ???  I can take it or leave it, depending on how it is delivered. ::)

Oh! And I can take whatever you have to give…winter cabbage? Onions? Sprouts? ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal