Author Topic: Gift for teachers  (Read 5235 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Gift for teachers
« on: July 20, 2006, 17:23:00 »
Well, tomorrow is the last day of the academic year for my two little urchins.  I can't believe that daughter number one will be heading into 'juniors' year 3 in September and son number one will be in year 1!  Honestly, this last year has whizzed by in a blur!  Anyhow, bad mother, what with new job, allotment, house, etc, I have neglected to get the teachers a thank you gift.  We don't normally doooo those sorts of gifts - don't tend to follow trends, but the children are bigger, and they have asked if they could give something to their teachers.  What do you reakon to a veg box?  I am going to the plot tomoz, there will be beans, cucumbers, lettuce, courgettes and other bits and bobs.  I have some nice boxes which I could get the kids to decorate later when they are playing before bed, then I could stick a little jar of jam in, and the veg.  Good idea?? or a little sad??  Would they prefer a bottle of cheap red??

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Gift for teachers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 17:24:59 »
Wine or beer anyday ;D

Nearly always get a mug or socks though :(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 17:36:20 »
Well I suppose I could do 4 little bottles of sloe gin to go with....

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 17:40:31 »
EJ I think your veg box is a wonderful idea.

I help in school and have never seen that given.  One of the best things I have received was a bunch of flowers from someone's garden, they were lovely.  Mugs are the most popular present - I hadn't realised and have been guilty of adding to a few teachers' collections!  My son's last teacher has a couple of mug trees sitting on top of her cupboard to display them, I imagine in the hope that people will realise she has enough - mine is on there!

And your children will enjoy decorating the boxes, yes I think it would be great, and different from the usual gifts.

T.

PS He He yes, they would enjoy that...

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 17:54:26 »
Sorry EJ - my reply was a general tongue in cheek one from experience and I am sure that  a veg box would be an excellent personal gift.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 17:57:12 »
I know RC - but as you are in the trade, you would be a good indication of whats what.  ;D  So far, a little jar of jam in each - well, mint jelly in one, and a little bottle of sloe gin in each. ;D

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 18:01:48 »
Nobody has ever bought me a box of home grown veg but the bits and bobs I get from fellow members of staff chuff me to bits.  I think a box of veg would give me a huge grin ;D like that.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 18:06:43 »
My wife works in a school, last day of the term today and as I look at all the chocolates and wine she has brought back all I can say is .... what a marvelous tradition!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 18:40:39 »
snap EJ, my two boys are about to go up to year 3 and year 1 aswell . youre right about time flying etc etc.
i have to admit i dont like the tinge of competition that surrounds these end of year/easter/christmas gifts.  my kids finished today and they both took a small card and a  bunch of allotment flowers and thats that.  i think your idea of homemade produce is lovely but i would be more inclined to go with just one small thing, bottle of sloe gin or some preserve perhaps with pretty ribbon.  my only real reason for saying that is that if you go the whole hog now you are going to have to do it every time. ;D  thats just my opinion though, i wouldnt dream of telling you what to do - i am sure the teachers will love a veg box.  :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 22:01:11 »
Poooh! I have avoided this pressie giving lark like the plague,no way are that lot getting owt off me,they get paid dont they?! And... they get the pleasure of teaching my sprog,what more do they need ?!!  :D      Year 4 for him next term and The Toot starts nursery. Boo hoo I don't want her to go,they can't have her!!!

Think your pressie is just way TOO good EJ!  A lovely pot of jam or your sloe gin would be a treat enough in my opinion. It would have to be minature if I was giving it away an all,or maybe just a whiff of it in an envelope,yep that'd do,heehee!

Teachers...huh! What are they like!   (My dad was one haha!)

Hey Ady what year do you teach?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 22:13:41 »
What's happened to the good old fashioned "Apple"? ;D We were teaching them to eat healthily in those days, needed to as well, as they leaned over you smelling of nicotine, snuff and ‘B’ ‘O’ :P ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 22:37:22 »
Heldi, I couldn't agree more.  You are already paying teachers out of your taxes, so why this stupidity of 'paying twice'.

I was educated in the 'good old bad old days', when some teachers were nothing more than sadists.  The thought of thanking them is an anathema.

I presume this is another of the stupid American imports.

Teachers are more than adequately paid for their few weeks work, are probably in a better, more protected pension scheme than most parents (especially after Gordon Brown raided their schemes).

Oh dear, I think I shall have to go and lie down in a darkened room!!!

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 22:48:22 »
Aargh! Why all this venom against us teachers? Sure, some were sadists, and I could name a few (Homo and Smoke for starters), but that sort wouldn't last five minutes in the profession now. Those who think we have an easy time should try teaching 30 resentful, bottom-ability Year 11's for an hour!

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 22:48:46 »
Heldi, I couldn't agree more.  You are already paying teachers out of your taxes, so why this stupidity of 'paying twice'.

I was educated in the 'good old bad old days', when some teachers were nothing more than sadists.  The thought of thanking them is an anathema.

I presume this is another of the stupid American imports.

Teachers are more than adequately paid for their few weeks work, are probably in a better, more protected pension scheme than most parents (especially after Gordon Brown raided their schemes).

Oh dear, I think I shall have to go and lie down in a darkened room!!!

valmarg

No comment.  Any other teachers want to comment on what a load of old rubbish this is. >:(  Do you vote Tory and read the Daily Hate (sorry Mail) by any chance?

Year 3-4 Heldi but planning on moving during the next year.  Everybody tells my my current boss is very bad for my health.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 22:56:38 »
Would also like to know what your and your partner's (if you have one) jobs and work coinditions are.  What sort of house you live and what sort of car you drive.  You obviously have absolutely no idea about the hours that teachers work in term time when you talk about the few weeks we work and if you think that the holidays we get are all holiday, you are a joke.  You are ignorant and should not spout such crud. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :-X

Got my hackles up that one ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 23:06:03 by redclanger »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 23:01:17 »
Ooooer.  Okay, yes, teachers get paid for what they do - but so do hairdressers, cab drivers, waiting staff, milkmen, etc....do you tip them?  I am not suggesting this gift is a tip - but our village school is great, and the kids love it, and their teachers have been excellent.   They deal with number one daughters allergies superbly, and number one son who wasn't able to go to regular pre-school because of his speech problems has come on so fast thanks to his great teachers.  We don't normally do the whole gift thing - some parents buy very extravagent gifts and it can become competitive, however, my children asked if they could give their teachers something, and as I have an abundance of courgettes and beans at the moment, why not?  I would probably have given the veg to neighbours anyhow, and daughters teacher is a neighbour!

Sounds like you had a sad time at school valmarg.  I loved school - the 'hard' teachers were a challenge, the good teachers were amazing.  I am one of those people who says that my school years were the best years of my life (well, up until I met my love and had my little darlings).

Didn't want to cause any shouty posts, just wondered what you thought.  Now I know.  Thanks Tulippa, Sarah and RC.  And Glow, enjoy the chocs!  :)

Oh, and when the paperboy, milko or dusty knocks in December time to wish you a merry Christmas, don't slam the door too hard.

Stan0406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 23:09:53 »
Just read the comments....  I too work in a school, and if on the last day of term I was presented with a box of home grown, home- made things I would be CHUFFED to bits.
What a fantastic original idea - go for it, and let the kids enjoy giving it to their teacher.  Good for you. 
I hear alot of people saying teaching is a doddle, long hols, short days etc etc.... Let me say that teaching is a doddle - but only in August - the rest of the year it is HARD work, and exhausting.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 23:33:40 »
EJ.I think that is a good idea and will be appreciated. Charlie's niece and her husband have been teachers all their working lives (they both retire today) Yes I think they get reasonable salary but then so do most professions. I know that teachers don't just work in term time, they have an awful lot of work outside of school hours.. Joshua, my grandson left junior school today and the teachers have been marvelous all the time he has been in Junior school.(see shed pic dressed up for Junior proms ;D) They have been kindness itself he has often had to come home due to bad migraine. So just to say thank you Lorna sent in little presents for them.
Lorna

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 23:37:58 »
After my rant - thanks to all those that appreciate us.  I know it is not the worst job in the world - I wouldn't do it otherwise.  It is just the 9-3 and long holidays brigade that get my goat (and that of most other teachers)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 00:05:23 »
I have a sister-in-law that works on the administrative side at a school and doesn't get the long holidays that the teachers get and on the run up to this time of year she gets very tired of hearing the teachers doing a countdown on  how many days, minutes etc: they have left to work, this includes Bank holidays too! I feel for her as it must get very boring and come across as a little childish ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal