Allotment Stuff > E-Buygumbay

Sheen X300 flame gun (not a brand new one)

<< < (2/5) > >>

supersprout:

--- Quote from: tabbycat on June 21, 2006, 21:12:11 ---It was bought by my non-gardening OH. He's alreday upset that he's spent his hard earned money on something I won't use.

--- End quote ---

Aww tabby, what about posting it on the ebuygumbay forum here? Woudl it re-sell it on eBay?
Your OH must be really considerate for thinking of you and your weeds and parting with hard earned cash, IMHO you are one lucky lady ;D
Roy/Busby, I use a flame gun like this for weeds in gravel/paved parking areas and paths, but don't incinerate them - just one pass, and they go flop and die in a few days. Hand weeding/hoeing only on the plot - straw mulch :o

Roy Bham UK:
Where do you draw the line? plants/weeds call them what you will are living until eaten or terminated, Busby I would be very interested to hear how you cope with pests in your garden as the organic methods I have heard about are just not working or are too time consuming for a busy house husband like me. ;D

For what it is worth I would not swat a wasp or tread on an insect purposely, but I would terminate the life of a slug with a size 8 boot without a second thought and a pigeon comes a close second. >:( ;D

djbrenton:
Size 10 are the minimum effective against pigeons.

dandelion:

--- Quote from: Busby on June 21, 2006, 21:36:44 ---I'm pretty sure Roy  that there are many things pretending to be organic.

An apparatus for burning insects to death and destroying humus can hardly be one of them - organic can basically only mean 'natural', and the only way for me personally to keep my weeds down is to hoe regularly and pluck them out.

Weeds are nature's way of covering and so protecting exposed soil, we only call them weeds, nature would call them plants.

--- End quote ---

I thought naturally occuring fires and the ensuing regeneration could actually enhance biodiversity in certain habitats.

djbrenton:
Used correctly, a flame wand probably causes less harm to insect life than hoeing. It also certainly doesn't destroy humus, in fact the potash resulting from correct use is beneficial.

There's a lot of misinformation about organic gardening and even more, a lot of people who don't know how flame guns should be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version