Author Topic: bad food?  (Read 1851 times)

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
bad food?
« on: June 12, 2006, 22:32:18 »
what is it about pedigree chum dried food.
 my Bella eats James wellbeloved dried food ,with either a tin of sardines or pedigree chum mixed in, though on a couple of occasions have brought ped chum dried, Bella seems to go mad over it like its a drug .shes always starving and drinks sooooo much water, wakes us in the middle of the night to go out to the loo and drink more water.
she seems to really enjoy the stuff, yet it cant be any good with the 'side effects' she gets.
has anybody els known of this

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: bad food?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 23:49:25 »
Some dried compleat dog food does make a dog drink a lot, have you tried pooring boiling water over it and letting it cool down and then feeding it to her.
I had something like that years ago for my dogs and they would not eat it unless I soaked it first.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 16:48:06 »
hate to say this, but I think (my opinion only) pedigree is the dog equivalent of mcdonalds.

My dog's now on JWB and the change is amazing, so much calmer / not as hyper
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

welsummerman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 12:12:40 »
processed dog food in the biscuit form is made as a dough extruded out of pipes and cut off in small pieces then it is baked dry .,as it does this it shrinks to the form you see in the bags .if you take a couple of the biscuits and put them in a saucer add an egg cup of water they wil swell to three times there size before they become soft  and digestable , this means therefore your dog /cat/ferret/etc has to have access to large amounts of fresh clean water  if you think your dog is deydrated you can check by dragging its skin up on its neck if it takes a while to flatten back you need to get the dog water in some cases the dog may need a visit to the vet urgently

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 20:09:41 »
I feed our new puppy Nutro Choice as that's what she was feed by the breeder. She told me in no uncertain terms that dried dog food should always be soaked first to make it swell up.

That way the dog digests it easily as it doesn't swell in their stomach and they also drink less water (which is important when you're house training them!)

I would go along with advice of everyone below - if Pedigree makes her hyper it can't be good for her.

Tabbycat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal