Author Topic: Thinking about keeping chickens  (Read 6561 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Thinking about keeping chickens
« on: May 25, 2006, 14:53:57 »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of turning a quarter of my plot over to keeping chickens (for eggs only) but not sure whether or how to start.

Firstly would I have to visit them every day? I'd hope to be able to but work and social stuff sometimes gets in the way. If I wasn't able to I'd hope to make a fox proof run and use feeders to keep them happy.

Speaking of foxes there are plenty about as the allotment site backs onto woodland and a golf course, the plot owners next door moved their chickens to another site and I expect this was one of the reasons. Would the chickens be able to cope with the smell and sight of foxes or would their poor nerves be shredded?

Lastly as I guess chickens are warm-blooded they have some hardiness in winter but do you need a miniumum amount of chooks to stop them freezing?
The site is also quite exposed and although I'm tucked into a corner the wind can be quite strong and cold at times.

All thoughts are welcome!

Jon

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
Re: Thinking about keeping chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 20:57:44 »
As with all animals they would need checked and fed every day, maybe not ideal for you if you can't be sure you'll get there daily.

I'd say twice daily is preferable for chooks as I think they need closed up for the night.

How about trying to sort out an exchange of produce for some eggs from another plot holder that has chickens? I used to get a dozen fabulous eggs from a guy I knew in exchange for running an odd small errand for him.

British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 22:38:58 »
I usually visit my 7 hens on the allotment everyday but can leave them easily for 3 days without a visit as long as they have enough food and water. I have a reasonable fox proof run and the hatches of the coops are always open.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:51 »
Hmmmm...another dampener is that I caught two lads breaking through the fence into the site last night  - I don't think they expected to meet me with shovel in paw though!

It's not the foxes I'm worried about now, think I'll leave the idea alone until I get a larger garden.

Jon

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 09:32:27 »
Hmmmm...another dampener is that I caught two lads breaking through the fence into the site last night  - I don't think they expected to meet me with shovel in paw though!

It's not the foxes I'm worried about now, think I'll leave the idea alone until I get a larger garden.

Jon

We have that problem at times too, just last week a local 12 yr old boy was caught running off with someone's chicken. Hopefully he won't do it again
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:40:36 »
Hi there

We have a small concrete town garden - very urban and have 3 chickens in a large ark.  They are soooo easy to keep at home!

If you want them on a lotty i would say the best thing to do would be to keep them in a lockable shed with fox proof run attached - dont forget foxes can dig!  that way they will be secure from thieves and from foxes!

I personally feel they need checking at least once a day if not twice. Mine make such a mess of their feeder and rain clogs the feed up too so it needs to be out of the house but covered over so as not to get wet... also hanging it up a few incehs off the ground helps to stop them scratching muck into the feeder! Water too - they drink alot more than you realise!

As for cold, as long as their house is draught free then they will be fine.  Its more teh heat that they fnid it hard to cope with.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 16:00:40 »
I had three chickens at home in an ark but wouldn't say they were so easy. I cleaned them out everyday and washed the ark every weekend. Mine I let run around the garden which I wouldn't do again cause of there mess and they ate everything. You would have to visit at least once a day if they can come in and out of their house to check and top up there food and water. You would have to make sure there house is on concrete as the foxes and other animals would be able to bury up underneath. Good luck and they are great if you choose to get some.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:11:05 »
dont forget foxes can dig! 

and they can climb  :(

I would have liked to have kept chickens on my lottie but I was more worried by the 2 legged foe than the 4 legged to be honest

MM

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:43:52 »
I had one stolen from my small back garden so if you tend to get break ins at the lottie it is definately something to think about.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 14:53:05 »
My new lotty has geese and many chickens and cockerals on site - so my plan is to run on my chicks down their once they are off heat.  its a pretty secure lotty, hardly anyone knows its there.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 17:43:52 »
Just confirmed my fears with my lottie neighbour, she used to keep chickens but  their shed got broken into. Chickens were ok but they moved them to another site just in case.

Also I've read that they lay a certain amount of eggs once the magic number is reached that's it. I know I'd get very attached to the beasties and would hate to give them the chop afterwards!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 18:07:54 »
certain number of eggs??? thats rubbish - the number you saw is the number per year they lay - in the case of hybrids that amount would be per year for the first 3 years, after that they decline, but its not unusal to have 12yo chooks still laying.  Pure breds lay less per year but lay for more years.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 12:28:32 »
Ah, many thanks Olive... shows that I know nought  ;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:45:23 »
go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn get some chooks!!!!!!!!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 08:53:17 »
LOL... lot's of reading up to be done first I think!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 20:29:53 »
Jonny how many you thinking of getting?

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 14:03:59 »
Probably about three at most.

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 20:50:22 »
That's what you think now, but once you're hooked........... ;D ;D

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 15:27:12 »
Where are you based and what kind do you plan on keeping? We have a few growers that we are planning to sell on soon.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 12:22:47 »
I'm thinking of getting some more now, as I have missed them. Just thinking do I want the extra work as before I wasn't working full time. They would be kept in our back garden at home though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal