Author Topic: Collared Doves  (Read 4579 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Collared Doves
« on: April 04, 2006, 22:26:16 »
These two are regular visitors to my garden.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 22:30:32 by Paulines7 »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Collared Doves
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 23:48:32 »
Nice pictures Pauline.  They are pretty birds.   

Do you ever have Nuthatch visit your garden?   I have just asked Eric. 

:D :D :D

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 00:03:42 »
Two Nuthatches have visited the feeders in the garden every day for months. They take whole peanuts and sunflower hearts rather than eat them in the garden.
Last year a pair used a nest box I put up, but although it was cleaned out I don't think they will use it again this year.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 00:09:52 »
Lucky you TS.  One day I am sure I will get them.  They ahve been absent from this area until recent years and now they are spreading north.

Apologies to Pauline for changing the subject.   

;) ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:57:10 »
Lovely - but we can't sleep after 5am for all their different & foghorny calls!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:52:16 »
I have never seen any nuthatches here and we don't seem to have tree creepers either.  There were were both where we used to live on the edge of the New Forest.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 07:43:11 »
I've got a couple of collared doves which do make me laugh trying to access the hanging bird table.  they sit and consider their flight path for a few few minutes before taking a deepth breath, jumpng on the roof, another deep breath, jump, hovver, and lurch into the table.

then sit right in the middle of what they're eating.  comical.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 10:06:16 »
Mine have been attempting to get on the peanut feeder. ;D ;D ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 19:23:45 »
Aah they are so pretty Pauline  :)  Have two that are regular visitors to the garden ...

problem is we also have a nearly resident 'sky rat' who chases them off whenever he thinks that he will loose any grub  >:(
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 22:09:28 »
Please excuse my ignorance flowerlady but what is a "sky rat"?   :o

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 22:23:23 »
flying vermin, rat with wings,  ......... common old garden pigeon.  the bully of the table that sh{ts everywhere.

i'm trying to learn to like them but i'm finding it hard.  i've had to stop putting seed on the static table as i was encouraging more and more of the things into the garden.

now they just peck around the floor taking all the scraps from the feeders.

still one of god's creatures but not one of my faves.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 22:30:37 »
Thanks for that info MrsKP.  When you say the common old garden pigeon, are you talking wood pigeons or the type that are found in towns and cities?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 08:32:10 »
i get both, but the feral ones (just looked it up  ;D) are the worst offenders.  i'm hoping once i've reduced their food supply a bit that they'll forget where i am and move  next door.

but flowerlady's "rats" might mean something totally different to her  ;D

magpies are also in abundance around here and can be a bit bullyish but don't often come into the garden and rarely go to the tables.  there have been two regular visitors lately however who have been hopping around the ground pulling wee bits of grass and stuff, presumably for nests.  they are quite fun to watch.

;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:38:12 by MrsKP »

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 08:46:05 »
Mrs KP I get both too and the magpies.

The self appointed resident is the gigest fatest garden pigeon that ever was.   >:(  He now roosts inside the little feed house  >:(  Think I will have to stop putting food there for a while.

I also put food on the ground at the end of the garden for the magpies,(and for him!!)  bright critters they are, if the food gets too hard they take it to the bird bath and dunk it  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 08:53:51 »
i wouldn't mind if only they'd "share".  the feral pigeons just gorge themselves stupid as if it will be their last meal on earth (pass the gun  :P).

and it has been known for me to be jumping up and down like a maddie, waving my arms and anything else i pick up trying to shoo them off, and they just sit and stare at me as if i'm daft.  as you say, they're not silly lol.

;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 14:53:50 »
I don't know how I missed this before Pauline - what a lovely pic.   ;D  I've never had collared doves in my garden, just a couple of wood pigeons.  You are very lucky.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 15:25:34 »
Hi Pauline, :D

Thanks for the pic. Now I have been able to positively identify the pair of birds that have taken to sitting on my satellite TV dish and Freeview Ariel (the outside of my kitchen looks like Jodrell Bank). We are four floors up and a pair of doves have taken to sunning themselves in the morning. I`m trying to get a good picture and Hailey (the cat) is helping!

They may try to nest and as long as they don`t interfer with my TV reception I`ll let them as birds are getting a bad press at the moment and need all the tolerance they can get.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 15:26:14 »
We have a pair of collared doves nesting in a conifer at the bottom of our garden and they regularly visit our bird table - there are also wood pigeons nesting in the same conifer - but the collared doves are the 'bosses' and they chase the wood pigeons off the bird table.
We've also got a pair of blackbirds nesting in the ivy - the young have hatched and the parents are busy all day long in feeding them.  Just hope the Magpies don't discover the nest, as they did last year when the blackies nested in the conifer hedge, and they lost all their 'almost ready to fly' chicks within minutes.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 21:28:50 »
Pauline. I have collared doves!! Didn't know what they were until I saw your pic (sshh..don't tell anybody) I also looked them up on British Birds site. AND today I am 99% certain that I had a female greenfinch . Seemed a bit slimmer than the sparrows and didn't have those markings on its back which a sparrow have. Certainly had a greenish front. By the time I got the binoculars she(?) was gone.
My blackbirds, especially MR are getting quite tame, they fly away when I walk up the path to the greenhouse but once I am in the greenhouse back they come.
Things are looking up ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 22:18:13 »
All good news Lorna.   ;D ;D   I hope it was a greenfinch that visited and that you get many more.  Sometimes they don't stay long enough for an identification.  I have binoculars on the coffee table in my lounge but by the time I focus them, the bird has often flown. 

I had a visitor today that I couldn't identify.  I believe it was a finch because of its beak, but it had a pale lemon chest and a light coloured stripe above the eyes.  It was bigger than a siskin and definitely different.  I only had 30 seconds to look at it and then it flew away.  I waited another 15 minutes but it didn't come back so had to return to my task for the day which was to finish digging one of the plots.  Perhaps I will see it again tomorrow.   :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal