Author Topic: Collared Doves  (Read 4556 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: Collared Doves
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 08:36:15 »
Nice pictures Pauline.  They are pretty birds.   

Do you ever have Nuthatch visit your garden?   I have just asked Eric. 

:D :D :D

Iwas at Clumber Park yesterday with the kids, and there were lots of small birds flitting about in the treetops. One of them had a call sort of like one of the mid-80's telephone ringtones, you know the first ones after the original 'bell' ringer. I followed the noise until I found it (took a while) and lo and behold, a nuthatch! Quite a while since I've seen one. There were 2 or 3 of them about as well.
Not to mention the thirty-odd squirrels that were tame enough to feed. The kids were fascinated.

And I forgot the camera!!  >:( >:(
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 11:02:18 »
Starlings also imitate telephones but a different ring to the nuthatches.  The nuthatch trill can be heard on here.  http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/    ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 11:31:29 »
Pauline. I know I am off subject...collared doves BUT was just in the garden with a friend who is doing some gardening for young Lorna AND a greenfinch (thingy bird) arrived at the feeding station. Keith confirmed. Yipee....I am sure he thinks I am mad.. was so excited LOL.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 11:58:01 »
OMG. Shouldn't have put that.... should have put MALE bird

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 11:58:36 »
If anyone would like to set up a breeding colony of Collared doves,just let me know and i will pack up my 20+ birds and send them courtesy of Royal Mail.

As long as they are not like homing pigeons and come back again.................

I do love them really, just not QUITE so many all in one go......and still they breed, every year, all year, all of them.............. :-\
Margaret

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 12:13:38 »
Lorna, I am so pleased for you.  A female greenfinch yesterday and now the male.  I was trying to think what word you typed in that was changed to "thingy" then I realised you must have said c-o-c-k.  This forum never fails to amuse me especially when we use such innocent words such as k-n-o-b of butter etc.  It's just not the same when it gets altered to thingy of butter.   ;D

Did you get your coconut fat feeder and have you seen any blue tits yet?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 12:22:38 »
Pauline. Sorry for delay in replying. Have been gallivanting (oh what it is to be retired ;D) I didn't get the coconut until Monday (usual shop didn't have ) It is on the feeder so hopefully will get results. Haven't seen the green finches since but then again haven't been here much to stare out of kitchen window :)
Bestwishes Lorna.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2006, 09:36:16 »
fab pics P7 :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal