Author Topic: My first lottie  (Read 1723 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
My first lottie
« on: May 21, 2006, 21:21:07 »
Here is my new lottie. The red circle highlights the top of the plot (if you have very good eyesight you might just see the post up there!) and the arrow shows the left hand edge (marked by some green twine). The picture is taken from the adjacent single lane dirt track that runs through the plot. Not a very good view, but it was hard to get a decent shot without trampling all over the plots on the other side of the track!!

I only signed up for it last week so havent managed to do much yet. This weekend we marked out the edges (as they really weren't that obvious as the plot to the left is also vacant), measured it (for more of my planning ;)) & started clearing some rubbish from an old bonfire. We really wanted to strim the whole plot but were rained off yesterday & today we couldnt get the strimmer started >:(.

Saz

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: My first lottie
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 21:39:54 »
Let's hope the rain stops so that you can get strimming. Lot of hard work ahead so take it easy. Good luck and don't forget to update pics when you can
Lorna

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 21:41:09 »
Wow - it has potential ;)

Marking out the boundaries then strimming it all back will give you an opportunity to see where you are and then decide where you are going to start digging.  Dig one bed at a time, then plant it up - then you can do some weeding when you want a break from the digging ;D just teasing ::)

Remember to enjoy what you do

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 22:01:37 »
Its going to take an awful lot of hard work ;D As well as being covered in couch there are great patches of dock, a few bits of bindweed and a huge section in  the middle with old plastic sheeting and carpets that have all been there so long they are all disintergrating and the couch has grown thu them >:(. We have found a few bricks amongst these after a quick look so I'm hoping to find a few more - always useful!

One of chaps ducking in & out from the rain today said that it hadnt been worked for a quite a few years so hopefully the soil has had a good rest. I spied one worm today when digging around the bonfire section at the front & I understand nettles mean the soil is fairly fertile - here's hoping  :)

I want to be completely organic, much to the horror of everyone I have met at the site so far ;D. Lots of vacant stares, & comments about "you want to get some roundup on there" & "only getting organic weeds out of it"  ::) But I am determined to clear it carefully & slowly, one bed at a time. It will probably take a few years to do completely - but it will be worth it in the end & my little one (22 month son) can at least help with all aspects of the plot without me worrying about what he eats!

The aim for the next couple of weeks is to strim the entire plot to stop the couch going to seed for the moment, then clear the bottom 4ft for a compost/manure area and dig over "bed1" which will have tatties in it. I'll keep you all posted how we get on.  ;)

Saz

Ps - I did wonder about taking on the plot to the left as well so I would have plenty of room for everything we want to grow & be as self sufficient as possible.... but dh walked off when I suggested it :-\...not sure he's as keen ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:44:17 »
Well done for getting your plot Saz, your plans sound good, remember to take lots of photos for before and after comparison :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:30:35 »
well looks like you have your work cut out there but it sounds like you are well up to the task. your plan sounds good and i think you are very wise to see this as a long term project. Take it one step and a time and you will get there in the end. good luck with it.  Dont worry too much about what others say about you taking the organic route. There will be as many opinions about how to do things as there are people on your site, take the advice that seems to make sense and apply to you. looking forward to pics.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:33:52 »
Good luck with your plot, I'm sure all the hard work will pay off.

Our plot had been vacant for at least 3 years and untouched so I know exactly what you'll be going through trying to clear it. We're finally getting somewhere now after a month of work, although I do admit to letting the goat onto it before we started clearing lol

We managed to get the final fences up yesterday so hopefully Bill the goat won't be able to get in now and we'll have a chance to get things growing.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 19:32:38 »
I don't dig saz, and am always impressed by those who do. Just wondered, if you want to crop in the undug parts of your lottie, and don't want to use roundup, would you consider 'extreme mulching' using cardboard? I've tried it for the first time this year and have been pleased with the result :)

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 19:50:19 »
... would you consider 'extreme mulching' using cardboard? I've tried it for the first time this year and have been pleased with the result :)

What would that involve?

Ta

Saz

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 19:56:16 »
1. mark out the bed
2. strim the area
(optional step - cut off the turves and lay them upside down)
3. lay down a layer of cardboard (or two) or loads of newspaper
4. wet the cardboard or newspaper thoroughly
4. cover with compost, grass clippings, leaf mould, spent hops, well rotted manure, whatever you have as a growing medium
5. plant seedlings into holes filled with compost, through the cardboard

Plants like squash family will do well in these conditions, the cardboard/newspaper will suppress the weeds, and if you continue mulching during the season you'll continue to suppress annual weeds. The cardboard/newspaper will eventually rot away :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal