Author Topic: Starting off leeks  (Read 10084 times)

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
Starting off leeks
« on: March 18, 2006, 15:32:26 »
As this is our first year with an allotment, and growing veg at all have been reading lots on here, thanks.

We have started some leeks in the conservatory, most have germinated but to me they look like longish blades of grass, is this how they should look?

I know they have a long growing season but don't know how to tell if they are healthy or should be planting some more later?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Starting off leeks
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 15:58:01 »
;D

Hi marjrie! Yup. baby leeks look just like grass at first, they come up like shepherds crooks and "unbend" then sit there looking like they are doing nothing. Gradually they will get thicker, and they are planted out when they are pencil thickness. It's my first proper year too...exciting isn't it?!!

;)

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 16:05:08 »
Allotment newbie too.

Could I ask when you planted your leeks. Mine have been sat in their cells for two weeks now and diddly squat seems to be happening?! How long should they take to appear? ???
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 16:09:14 »
Just had a quick look, sowed mine in pots on February 17th and they are now about 3inches tall, no idea if this is normal, but they look ok. Sowed celeriac at roughly the same time and thay have taken ages to do anything!! Patience is the key...or at least, that's what proper grown up allotmenteers keep telling me!!!!

;)

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 18:32:29 »
I shall cease panicing then! Every thing else coming up including melons and chilis. Cheers for the response :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 18:36:02 »
How I love to see enthusiasm!!  ;D

You chaps have beaten me off the mark!!  Only done toms inside so far.

One thing I have determined to do this year is to keep a log of when sown, when germinated, when put outside to harden off, and when planted out etc etc etc   ;)

Then next year I won't fee so impatient  :o

...  well that's the theory anyway  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 13:54:01 »
Thanks for that, at least I know my blades of grass will eventually become thicker.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 20:15:06 »
Sowed mine on Feb 13th and they are only just showing their little hoops - but are in my cold frame  on my balcony and boy it's been cold out there (but not frozen). Think like most things it  depends on temperature, they will take their own good time and be fine.

Helenclare

• Not So New ...
  • lovely, it's raining and no longer cold
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 20:34:57 »
Hi, I'm a newby too and my leeks are just beginning to poke through the soil and they are in an unheated greenhouse and some are outside on the patio in on of those portable plastic covered shelving racks. They are only in small modules though and I'm a bit worried they will outgrow their present home before being ready to out on the plot, will they be okay? 
Helen

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 20:59:12 »
don't worry helenclare,  the leeks will be happy in there for a very long time.  they won't outgrow the space....they grow bigger when they get more room, ie when you plant them out.  wait till they're pencil thickness, harden them off, then bung 'em in and they'll shoot off.
It'll be better next year

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 21:56:13 »
This will be my first attempt at growing leeks so I think I will get some seeds in this week.  I have an unheated greenhouse where I can grow them until pencil thickness but what size pot should I start them off in please?  I imagine a seed tray could be too hollow so should I use 4inch pots and if so, how many seeds should I put in each one.  Will I need to transplant into further pots before putting them outside?  Your help with this dilemma is much appreciated. 
Pauline

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 22:05:31 »
I just sprinkle a packet of seeds per seed tray or find a piece of spare ground of this size and sprinkle your seeds there.  The leeks have been happy with no problems up till June, that's when I transplant them to their final position

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 08:45:37 »
i use multi-cell trays...the smallest size.  4inch pots sounds rather extravagant
It'll be better next year

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 11:42:31 »
I've used ice cream cartons and a few plastic mushroom containers with holes in the bottom, they are nice and deep.

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 16:12:15 »
I started mine off in a seed tray last year but was warned that it might be difficult to separate the tangle of roots when it came to transplanting them.

I eventually used a dibber to make holes in the ground, separated the roots by dipping them in a bucket of water, trimmed the roots after reading of the method on here (although I had my doubts) and they all grew into fine specimens. I have to say however that I have no intention of doing a thing round here till the weather warms up!
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 16:39:03 »
I tend to hold back a bit and plant mine in the soil in about another three weeks. If I don't do this I find they get too big before I have got their final growing space cleared of new potatoes.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 18:46:38 »
I chucked three seed packets (Mussleburgh, Carentan and Poristo) into three washing up bowls a third filled with compost and then put 1cm of compost over the top.  They are currently sitting inside plastic bags on top of my garden shed.  I read the thing about them getting tangled as well but as you can cut of the roots of leeks with no ill effect, do not think it will matter too much.

Sown yesterday btw.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 11:06:07 »
Perhaps this is a bit late to say but here goes ...

there are THREE types of leek.  :o   Earlies, mid-season and lates.

The earlies are those that you can grow as minis or pencil thins, using varieties such as Zermatt or Jolant. Harverst July onwards, they can also be planted out in the usual manner for a longer season.

Mid season seem to be more the F1 varieties such as Prizewinner for obvious reasons  ;D  Harvest Aug to Oct.

The lates include the Scottish Musselburgh that storm through the winter and will harvest Nov through to Feb.

... think I have just convinced my self to grow at least two varieties, cos the family likes leeks  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 13:58:25 »
I've planted 4 varieties (always prone to excess! ;D) St Victor, Colossal, Poristo and Musselburgh. The Musselburgh are proving by far the slowest to germinate - I assume as they are late and therefore slower growing. Either that or old seed - feel the packet has been lurking in my box for some time!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 14:33:39 »
Hooray I do believe we are nearly all in acton at last. What a cold miserable spell. Am about to sow my leeks.
Marigold

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal