Poll

Do you feel that sparrows are depleting?

Yes
No
Slightly
Don't have a clue!

Author Topic: Sparrow Depletion  (Read 6149 times)

Dan 2

• Acre
Sparrow Depletion
« on: February 08, 2006, 19:17:16 »
What do you think, persoanlly we continue to have loads! Dan :-)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sparrow Depletion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 19:59:27 »
I don't think there's any doubt that there are fewer of them across the country, theough they're still numerous in many areas. One possible partial explanation (I don't think it's something that simple) is the removal or renovation of old buildings, leaving them with fewer potantial nest sites.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 19:59:39 »
I'm lucky to see a sparrow a week. Shame I can't say the same for pesky wood pigeons....

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 20:20:09 »
When we first moved here (SW London) 20+ years ago we used to get great flocks of sparrows. They gradually declined until we saw very few. I would now say that over the past 2-3 years or so they seem to be on the increase again which I am really pleased about as I've always liked them.

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 21:01:53 »
I'm quite sure that throughout the country sparrow numbers are going down, as the RSPB say they are, and I think they know what they're talking about!  However, we had no sparrows at all when we moved here - and after 5 years of gardening organically we now get them regularly, though not in very large numbers.   At first they only came in the summer, to eat the greenfly on our roses, but now we are starting to see them all year round.  This makes me think that perhaps one of the reasons numbers of sparrows are depleting is because humans are using more and more chemicals to kill pests instead of leaving it to nature.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 21:21:13 »
Their numbers are certainly dwindling here in north London.  I 'garden for wildlife' but these days, like others have said, I only get the odd one or two now.  It's sad.   :(

g xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 21:40:16 »
Some years ago, we had loads of sparrows, now we are lucky to see two or three on our feeders.  We seem to have been taken over by finches in our part of Hertfordshire.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 21:51:25 »
Sparrows declined when farmers started planting their cereal crops in the autumn, straight after the harvest.  Before that, the fields were left barren all winter and many birds including sparrows, could then feed on the grain left behind.  I have quite a community of sparrows in my garden and they feed on the grain that is put out for the chickens.  There are nest boxes on the market that cater for sparrows.  They are terraced as the birds like to be near each other.  Here is a picture of one.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 22:05:00 »
They used to be the commonest birds in our garden now we have tits, robins, greenfinches, blackbirds, wrens and many more but only rarely see sparrows.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 22:55:49 »
Depletion! they're breeding like rabbits in my roof - I tried putting chicken wire across the gaps after the last brood fledged to encourage them into my neighbours roof ahead of starting a loft conversion, but the blighters just hung onto the chicken wire and hauled it out again.  Then they added insult to injury by turfing out clods of insulation!.  They sit on the rone above my home office window and laugh at me, dance little dances to taunt me, cr@p on my washing, nibble the buds on my spring shrubs, and breed even more little sparrows.

( do I sound a bit manic??)

Sadly, they will have to be rehoused as the roof is getting "done" this month and the straw and assorted nesting stuff ( about a bin liner full) will have to go ( talk about a fire hazard), though being fair, their droppings are small beer compared to the horsehair plaster lining that's fallen off and 120 years of soot.

Like the terraced nesting box.  I already have a selection of ordinary ones for the roofers to put up while the scaffolding is there - will see if I can get one or two.  Cos actually, I'd miss them if they weren't around, and it is my fault for feeding them all year, even if they do intimidate me from the feeder table if I let it run out.  Hmm,  if there were hoodies for sparrows, this bunch would be wearing them.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 23:47:40 »
I have one of them Terraced nesting boxes.  They are OK  had one lot of sparrows nesting in there about 3 years ago.  I read somewhere that the Terraced nesting boxes havent been the success they thought they would be.  I do get the occasional House Sparrow feeding along with the Finches but I see them in great numbers in the village.  They will return to my garden at breeding time hopefully.  It is the TREE Sparrows which have reduced in great numbers, more than the House Sparrow, but they are certainly not as numerous as they were years ago.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 07:23:09 »
When we first moved here (SW London) 20+ years ago we used to get great flocks of sparrows. They gradually declined until we saw very few. I would now say that over the past 2-3 years or so they seem to be on the increase again which I am really pleased about as I've always liked them.

Same here, they are  on their way back.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 16:58:10 »
When we moved here there weren't many but now that I feed them all year we have a large colony.  They nest in the eaves of our roof, sliding in between the roof and the wall.  We've had to block off the corner of the roof triangle to give them privacy and security and stop babies fledging into our attic instead of out into the big wide world.

Here in Belgium numbers in both town and country have been declining for some years but I garden organically and the farmers are using fewer really nasty chemicals so around me both sparrows and raptors are doing well.   We have buzzards and sparrow hawks and I occasionally hear tawny owls hooting but I haven't seen any little owls for a few years.
Obxx - Vendée France

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 17:17:02 »
We always had lots of sparrows in our garden - right until last year. Now there are hardly any.
We are still overrun with starlings though.
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 17:59:08 »
I have quite a lot in my garden aswell as the old blackbirds, starlings e.t.c We get very few robins, blue tits e.t.c Never Mind! I will have to travel to see them then!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 18:42:50 »
in a busy hour, i've got up to 15 sparrows at one time, and although the sun was out today no tits at all and blue, great and coal usually turn up.  had a couple of starlings though which i don't often see.

daddy black bird hangs around all day and is usually accompanied by a "very smooth brown with no obvious markings and brown bill" bird - Mrs ?

when i lived in south london (up until a couple of years ago) , it was noticeably quiet - hardly any sparrows at all but i'm pleased as punch to have them in my garden now even though the dawn chorus can be deafening (which makes me wonder where all the others are hiding).
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 11:00:11 »
Oh oh

NO!!!!

Too much detail

o.

More sparrows on the way.

I'm gonna have to move my home office, I can't take this sort of thing before the 9pm watershed.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 21:19:31 »
Remember, don't confuse a sparrow with a dunnock!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 21:33:56 »
i think i have already  ??? ....... pictures and binoculars at the ready in the morning.

edited to include pic of Mr Dunnock (I think)  ::)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 07:29:20 by MrsKP »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 13:18:39 »
We have lots in our part of Essex, so many that at our local Asda, they nest and roost in the roof of the huge trolly bay. The lovely outcome of this is, they poop all over the trolleys!  Nice!!  They are great cleaners tho and tidy the carpark of all spilt food and the rubbish that the new McDonalds is creating.  We have them in the garden in great numbers, along with t*ts, wrens, robbins, starlings, thrushes, and most noticeably at the moment, lots of gorgeous blackbirds.  Nope, for me, there seem to be as many sparrows around here as ever.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal