Author Topic: The Hawk Conservancy near Andover  (Read 1880 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
The Hawk Conservancy near Andover
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:55:15 »
I went to the Hawk Sanctuary near Andover last week and took this picture of Danebury, a bald eagle.  During the afternoon, he is taken in a van a mile away and released.  He can be seen as a dot on the horizon as he begins his flight back to the sanctuary.  He crosses the main A303 road and finally enters the display arena to the music of the title track of Vangelis' album 1492 - Conquest of Paradise.  What a site it must be for travellers along the A303 to see a bald eagle flying across the road.  :o  :o

The Conservancy have also bred many red kites there and have released 7 of them in the Cholderton Valley.  One of them, although wild now, comes back and joins in the black kite display.   :D

I really recommend a visit to the sanctuary and suggest that a whole day is allowed for it as there are flying demonstrations at 12 noon, 2pm and 3.30 pm.  At 5.30 pm, herons, kites and other wild birds come down to be fed.  One word of advice though, it gets very cold there as the areas where the demonstrations take place are very exposed, so choose a warm sunny day!!   ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:57:06 by Paulines7 »

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Re: The Hawk Conservancy near Andover
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 13:25:52 »
What a handsome fella!

For anyone near/visiting Gloucestershire, the National Birds of Prey Centre at Newent is also brilliant.

http://www.nbpc.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 13:30:38 by CotswoldLass »

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 13:32:54 »
The wife & kids gave me a voucher for crimbo which entitles me to spend several hours with the magnificent creatures at the Hawk Conservancy....( its something I've always wanted to do) .....hope this bird flu business doesn't put the lid on it!!!! looking forward to getting up close to one of those!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 20:13:15 »
I can recommend it too, I Had passed it loads of times but never been then went on a school trip and wished I had been before!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal