Author Topic: My Country Hope you Like It  (Read 7498 times)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
Re: My Country Hope you Like It
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 22:18:32 »
Ruud ;)
Many Thanks with the Help of your Great Pictures.......Im sure they will be enjoyed.....Bedankt Ruud

Ruud perhaps you would like to tell our Friends where you live in Holland...
could you do that!!

mike
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2006, 10:13:52 »
Around this Time of the Year.....Febuary.....Have we the Carnival here in Noord Brabant.....And also Around Maastricht [ Limburg ]

Annual Holiday for One week.....Fully of Floats [ Optocht]...Children Activities
Sing Dancing and Music.....Later in the Evenings for the Adults....this goes Official for Five Days.

I,ve done it Once....its Fantastic and very very Busy.

You book into your Favourite [Cafe]  Like a Pub...you buy your pass before the Carnival begins....then you Purchase the Tokens..[ Munt] before the Carnival....this is to avoid any Robberies taking place....you use only a small amount of Money for the Purchasing of you food....This is always Outside your Local cafe......THe Adults go althrough the Night until the Morning

There are a... credit to everyone... a few Minor Incidents every year But [ Touch Wood ] nothing serious.

Its something Special to Brabant and Limburg only.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 14:48:40 by TULIP-23 »

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2006, 14:24:05 »
Mike you forget the hangover,but you can always start the next morning with the breath of the dog that bite you last night.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2006, 14:51:14 »
Ruud ;D ;D ;D

Absoluut zeker[ Absolute Certain ].........

Mike

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006, 16:13:16 »
Okee everybody i am living in heemskerk,that is a village of 40.000 people.Heemskerk is situated in the duns 3 kilometers of the coast in the provence noord-holland,haarlem is 20 kilometers away and amsterdam 30 kilometers,almost 50% of the working people is working at a big steelplant called corus,well known in britain,because it is now a part of british steel.There is also a lot of greenhouses in the neighbourhood were they grow vegetables and flowers.Ouwer village is about 1000 years old as far as there were people settled here.We have two castles in ouwer village and a very classic almost a cathedraal liked church.Two ameture soccer clubs who both are in the highest ameture division,till last year i was playing soccer for one of the soccerclub.People born and bread heemskerk have a nickname they are called donkeys and in the village center there is a statue of a donkey we are very proud to be donkeys.After this i will post some picture some are mine and some are from the net.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2006, 16:13:47 »
One of the Cities I,ve Visited is DELFT:

A little of the History of this Beautiful City....if you come to our Country
Well worth a visit:

Facts:
Before the seperation in 1585 of the Low Countries [or Netherlands ] in the Prostestant North now [ Holland ]................and a Catholic South now Belguim.
Delft was a Typical town of this Area of Europe. In the Middle-Ages, Delft was a City of weavers and brewers, with numerous convents and Monasteries.
     During the religious troubles of the low countries in the Middle of the 16th Century, Delft became more important when [ William of Orange ]
who spearheaded the revolt against the Catholic Spanish Domination of the Netherlands....choose the City as his Military Headquarters.
He took up Residence in the PRINCEHOF, a former Monastry. It was here in the same building that he was killed in 1584 by ...BALTHASER GERARD, a Fanatical Catholic. William of Orange lies buried in the Splendid late-Renaissance mausleum in Delft,s "Nieuwe Kerk"[ New Church].

One third of this Beautiful City  was destroyed in October 1654, when a Gunpower Store hidden in the Garden of a Convent Exploded....During
the catastrophy 200 people were killed.

The important medieval harbour [ Delftshaven ] lies close to Delft.
This is the reason why the City becomes...the Six seats of the "Oostindische Compagnie-VOC '' [ East India Company ] in 1631. This results in frequent contact with the orient, and the traders bring from their travels a "New Product": Chinese Porcelien.
Delft starts to copy this beaautifully decorative art form and is Now Famous for its own version:............Blue Delftware.

After the Goldenage of the 17th and the early 18th Centuries, Delft enters the 19th Century with much less prosperity,since the trade, the delft-ware potteries and weaveries have mostly diappeared.
     In 1842, however, King William 1 Founded the "Royal Academy of Engineering of Delft" In 1876, the only remaining Delft Ware Factory "De Porcelyne Fles"[ THe Porcelien Bottle ] is Re-animated and remains, until today, the most important [ certainly the most oldest ] representative of this typical Delft Industry.

Should you Visit Delft....I hope that some day you may ...Take the Time to Explore this really Beautiful City.....With its Magnificent Plein [ Square] the
Shops surroundng it.......the Street Markets.....You will need Two/Three Days if you visit to See it in all its Glory.....I really hope you do I know you will enjoy it.
                                       Mike.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 19:00:26 by TULIP-23 »

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 16:21:07 »
Ruud  ;)
              Many Thanks Ruud  Found that very Interesting....Incidentally
I dont know if its Still een Herberg  But the Photo of the Castle Stayed there myself have visited  Heemskerk......so we do have something in Common!!

I will have to look up ons Vakatie Foto,s [ Holiday Photo's ] of our time in Heemskerk.....Toured with my Motor.

Fantastic Ruud Many Thanks for Your Help.       Mike

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 16:23:32 »
Here are some pictures of my village.

ouwer flag

my job

the coast guard
town hall
famous pastime

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2006, 16:41:36 »
Ruud ;)

That was Brilliant my Friend.....Thank you for helping make this Thread ....More Interesting....with your efforts....Hartelijk Bedankt [ Many Thanks]
                                             Mike

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2006, 17:44:43 »
mike,dy croeso and hir oes for the carnival.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2006, 18:05:45 »
Ruud ;)

Cheers ;D ;D ;D

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2006, 20:58:05 »
Hey! I enjoyed that bit of Dutch history banter, and the Photos? ;D

The wife was born in the county/province of Hengelo, Drenthe.
She has hasn't been back in 40 yrs, but there's a chance she may be over this year with one of her sister's, as their auntie has just moved back there from Canada.
I shan't be going as it's mainly visiting relatives and not much touring which is what I would want to do.
But I shall get there one day soon I hope? ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2006, 08:36:20 »
HI Glyn..Good Morning to you and your Good Lady from a very Snowy
Noord Brabant this morning.

Many thanks for your Input....Hengelo....Drenthe....the list is Growing
with new Place Names and Provinces.

Hope your OH enjoy,s her Visit.....Hope that you,ll come over One Day Glyn.

IM sure your OH will give you all the Info you Require.

Incidently I hope there will be Lots more Snips of Dutch History and Informative  to come if our friends would like that..............Mike

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2006, 09:44:52 »
Well here we go as promised a little information over Leiden.

A short History over Leiden University:
Leidens Deliverance in the Year 1574 [ 3 October ]

Leiden university is the Oldest university in the Netherlands. [Oldest Technical University in the Netherlands is to be found in Delft ]
It was a gift from by thr Prince of Holland William of Orange to reward the citizens of Leiden for their courageous defense of the City during the Spanish occupation in the 16th century.

In the 16th Century the Dutch Rebelled against the Authority of Spain.
Most of the fighting took part if the South of the Neterlands; the northern part could consider itself liberated towards the end of the 16th Century.

Before that,though, battles took place and the [ Siege of Leiden ] was an important event. Leiden was beseiged for nearly a year in 1574. The Dutch Army, led by, William of Orange [ nicknamed the Silent ], deliberately flooded the fields around Leiden, breaking the Dikes, to force the Spanish Armies to raise their seige. The Spanish tried to lure the citizens into surrender with a promises, but the people of Leiden decided to stick it out in spite of terrible shortages of Food which brought the People of Leiden to virtual Starvation.  Finally......the Spanish Armies withdrew and the Seige ended on OCTOBER THE 3rd, 1574.......The Dutch Army entered the City with food: Bread with Cheeese and HERRING. The date on which the seige ended, the third of October [ Leidens Ontzet or Leiden,s Deliverance ] is still celebrated every year with a Large scale festivities, and.....with bread and HERRINGS.

BIRTH OF LEIDEN UNIVERSITY, BASTION OF LIBERTY: FEBUARY 8 

Leiden University was Founded in 1575, as an unexpected gift to the City.
In 1574, Prince William of Orange took the first steps to establishing the University, when he wrote a letter to the STATES OF HOLLND. In the letter he proposed that as a Reward for the Town,s brave  resistance against the Spanish invaders a University be founded which would serve as a "staunch'support and maintenance of the freedom and good lawful goverment of the country". On Febuary 8, 1575 the University was FOUNDED, and was later granted the Motto:
PRAESIDIUM LIBERTATIS. or, BASTION OF LIBERTY.............................

so there you are a very short Piece on the Foundation of a Great Dutch Instituation  Leiden University.....hope you enjoyed it as much as I did Researching and Posting  Mike.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 14:38:27 by TULIP-23 »

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2006, 17:39:11 »
Found a few links you might like to explore yourselves....if your interested

Click on the Following:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nldnh/volendam_hist_nl.htm

http://www.archiefalkmaar.nl/engels.htm

The First link unfortunately is not translated into English...but Im sure you,ll find your way around
                               Go on take a look!!  Mike
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 17:44:15 by TULIP-23 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal