Author Topic: Some one has got to pay the vets salary!!!!!!  (Read 3882 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Some one has got to pay the vets salary!!!!!!
« on: January 13, 2006, 20:33:38 »
As some of you know my daughters GSD Sharne has been under the vet for a few weeks (another visit yesterday) With  a bit of luck collar can be removed next week. Then arrange Xrays,
Previous to Sharnes troubles Vickie has spent a lot of money on youngest daughters ferret, kept getting abscess in the throat area and had to have it drained I think it has reoccurred about three times.
Yesterday when Vickie and Paul were down feeding the horse they got an urgent phone call from daughter, something wrong with Casper (the cat) he can't stand up. They rushed home called the vet. They said bring him up straight away, They kept him in. Asked if there was any poison about. (No) Today they have been told he has had a stroke. Back home now, has got to have tablets I think it is for next 12 days. Reducing quantity every four days. They will then know if he has improved.
I did have to smile when the reception asked Paul "Weren't you up here yesterday?" Paul answered "Yes, and I suggest you widen your doors, the only pet that hasn't been up here is the flipping horse!!!"
Poor Paul can see his wallet getting thinner each week.

joji

• Hectare
Re: Some one has got to pay the vets salary!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 14:55:32 »
Oh no Lorna they are really going through it. :'(

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 17:42:18 »
Oh, the poor souls - I do hope that they are all soon fit and well again.

With the previous vet I had, it seemed that after every time we had finished a course of treatment on one of our dogs - he used to go off on holiday!!!!
 ::)
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 18:01:32 »
Whippet. That made me smile!!! My son-in-law would probably say "I don't mind paying for his holiday, but didn't want to pay for the whole family".At the end of the day if you have pets then you have got to do everything you can for them. My daughter is a real animal lover and their oldest (or should that be eldest) daughter tells me off for killing  snails and slugs!! :) Paul is a real dog lover.He often says "Flipping horse" but Vickie finds him giving Phoebe treats on the sly and talking to her
Lorna.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:05:31 »
I agree with you Lorna.  When you take a pet on they should be one of the family.  Sounds like Casper is on steroids of some kind.  Hope that all the beasties are soon fit and well. (and the wallet fills up again ;) ;D )
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 17:40:37 »
Some people say you should have pet insurance out.
 ::)
Been there, done that - and the flipping dog never ailed a thing!!!!!
Anyway, usually, the cost for a vet isn't much over the excess you have to pay on the insurance, if even that  - plus the insurance itself is a lot to pay out every year.
And . . I don't know if it has changed these days, but years ago, if an animal had treatment on the insurance, you couldn't claim again if it reoccurred at a later date.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 17:59:31 »
Whippet. I have insurance for Elsa, glad I did , my excess to pay is £40. The last lot of treatment I didn't have to pay excess as it was an ongoing thing. They will pay up to £4000 in the year for an ongoing  thing. They have paid just over £500 to my vet in the past year, I agree I have only got the cheap insurance. For instance if there was a condition that kept going for years I would not be able to claim. I pay £10per month
Unfortunately for Vickie (you won't believe this) Sharne is 9yrs old and until a few months ago Vickie had her insured, never made a claim. anyhow they sold a house and was sorting out bank accounts to put money in investments. Informed the Insurance Co to take payments from different account, Insurance Co messed up and Vickie said "Oh to hell with it, she is never ill"    Bad mistake!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 12:45:11 »
There was a pretty comprehensive article in Saturday's Daily Telegraph about pet insurance & might be worth looking at it on-line (if it's accessible). Otherwise, I don't think I've shredded it for me new bean trench, yet, & I could look to post re: what diff. insurers offer, if anyone likes?

Insuring dogs, tho. My sis once had a Border Collie that would sometimes take off to go herd something ??? For them, the insurance was as much about liability in case of an accident caused by him, as anything else.

Vets, tho...do seem to coin it in, don't they? And particularly for the pills they prescribe?

Lishka

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 18:02:36 »
We get tiny tubes of eye ointment that cost £38 for dry eye in Suzy (cocker spaniel). I'm insured but because it's a recurring/ permanent condition can't claim on insurance.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 18:10:20 »
grawrc. A friend of ours had a King Charles Cavalier (same as Elsa) he had to have drops for his dogs eyes, he found out that you could get the same drops in Boots for half the price.
In fairness to our vet  I took Elsa to the vets last year as she kept scratching, he said it was an allergy and to go to chemist  and buy Piriton. He said he could supply something but would be far more expensive!!!! Not often you get that.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 18:10:51 »
We took Sophie to the vet because she was screaming  with pain periodically. Steroids prescribed. Diagnosis:probably a slipped disk and spinal problems. Two weeks later no improvement so more steroids. Said he wouldn't be there next appointment (getting a new kitchen fitted). His assistant gave her a general anaesthetic and xrayed her spine. Slight signs of ageing but no major wear and tear. However! :o ::) they did find an ingrown toenail which they removed! Two weeks of antiobiotcs and good as new. Total cost: £417 :o :o

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 18:12:26 »
Thanks for that advice Lorna. I'll go and see.  :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 16:19:52 »
Some one has got to pay the vets salary!!!!!!
That's true. How about this for earning a salary....

My daughter took in a rescue dog with a huge mental problem. She'd had it about a year when it chewed its way out of it's indoor area and was hit by a car. My daughter rushed her to the 'on-duty vet' who was 35 miles away.

The vet wouldn't even look at the dog until he'd got my daughters credit card details. She didn't have a thing with her due to the trauma and emotion of what had happened. She had to travel back home then back again before the vet would make a start!
He examined the dog, ex-rays, no treatment, then eventually put it to sleep. The bill was £690....!

My daughter asked for a break-down of costs. The charges were rediculous. They even charged her £100 to move the dog from one trolley on to another one.
I hope she follows my advice and takes legal action. If she loses, at least the treatment of her and her dog will be made public.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 17:22:07 »
Kenkew. The title of my original post was done with tongue in cheek, but when you hear stories of what happened to your daughter it is no wonder that sometimes animals are not always taken to the vet. My daughter was really expecting a bill for £600/£700 but was pleasantly surprised when they gave her a bill for £320. She will of course have another bill when they do the x-rays but not often the amount is far less than you expected.
The amount your daughter was charged was way over the top IMHO

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 18:00:07 »
kenkew. I know of a similar event.
A dog got out, ran into the road, and was run over by a bus.
They rushed him to the vet, who wouldn't do a thing till they went back with money.
The poor dog was screaming in agony.
It died.

Vets like that should be struck off - no compassion.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 20:45:45 »
I have a great Vet here. When we exrayed my border collies hips there were tears in his eyes at how bad her joints were. That was 4 years ago, between us we are giving her a normal life. In fact 3 weeks ago I was herding sheep with her. Well, only 6 but it was great to watch her working and doing what she loved. I walk about 25 miles a week with her and she loves to go in the local wood and to the plot where she can have a swim.
     This first pic is of her after she cut her foot. I made her a 'shoe' and put her to bed. She loved the attention.
The second pic is her relaxing at the plot in the sunshine.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 20:47:55 by kenkew »

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 21:16:21 »
Oh Ken, she is beautiful and so well looked after with her shiny coat.   :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 22:24:40 »
Can only agree with Pauline... she is so beautiful. Lucky lady to have such a caring owner and vet.

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 18:02:05 »
Isn't she beautiful.
And she looks so content.

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 18:24:02 »
don't get me started on vet fees !!
Mia one of my labs did her cruchit ligamet in her back leg and it was £657 for the op to put it right !!!!
Had to have a C section on Jasmin (Mias mum) £587 and that was because they dragged it out till the evening and then it was a higher rate and then they nearly killed all the pups by using the wrong anaethetic and just dumped the puppys on me, hubby and luckly my friend was their and showed us how to resus them  >:(
I take the view if i can't afford the vet bill i shouldn't have the animal but they should be limits set for their charges !!!
Lovely collie  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal