Author Topic: Some one has got to pay the vets salary!!!!!!  (Read 3881 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Some one has got to pay the vets salary!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 20:30:27 »
Dawn. You hear so many terrible stories about vets..The last bill for Elsa was around £380 which the Insurance people paid. I didn't have to pay the excess as it was an ongoing thing from the previous treatment. On that occasion I did have to pay for the teeth extractions as dental is not covered.. For the £380 they also did a biopsy on her throat whilst she was under . There seem to be so many odds and bobs that make the amount horrendous. Injections, tablets etc etc.
Hope all is well with your labs, Oh  I do love labs!! Had them for years but thought they would be a bit too boisterous as the husband was disabled and I was frightened  a lab would knock him over. Having said that Elsa. King Charles.. is a real pest but I love her!!

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 16:31:58 »
We've got good insurance. friendlypets.com.  we have two lurcher x's one aged 8 other aged 3, and a moggie aged 11. all insured on silver level (medium) for £21.99 a month, and they pay for ongoing treatment! thought i'd better have insurance as my eldest dog (on the left) has cost me a fortune so far, cut feet, poisoning, ripped claw..... i could go on. and we only took out insurance a couple of months ago, good insurance when you think of 2 of their ages.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 17:50:10 »
Do they pay out on pre-existing and/or chronic conditions?

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 18:45:40 »
grawc, no, not existing conditions but they pay for medication and stuff for ongoing unlike most insurances stop at a year

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 09:44:46 »
sorry folks, gave you wrong info, our insurance was from healthy-pets.co.uk. sorry was nearly right ???

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 17:39:13 »
I've found everyone's remarks both fascinating and alarming.   I re-call that when I had a Pet Shop, one of my Customers decided that the monthly contribution they would make for Pet Insurance, they would pay into a special bank account.   If Vet's fees had to be paid out, they came out of the special bank account (interest earning of course).   
In the early days of the dog's life, more went into the account than came out, so that funds were quite substantial by the time the pet needed treatment at an older age.
Personally, I thought that they were taking a considerable risk in the event that the cost of treatment was very high.    However, they had been doing it for several pets over many years and it worked for them.
I'm not quite sure how they covered the eventuality of third party claims, unless they somehow covered it on their Home Insurance.
Thought you might find this interesting.
Every best wish, Colin.

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 17:44:34 »
I haven't been able to find a home insurance which does 3rd party insurance for dogs, Colin.
But, I am a member of the Dogs Trust - and it comes free with membership.
 :)

I had a friend who was a dog groomer, and some of her clients had bank accounts set up to pay for their dogs grooming charges.
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 19:46:13 »
The main reason I have pet insurance is for the eventuality of third party claims. That said, the cost of veterinary bills is getting ever higher, given that vets are using exactly the same technology and drugs (albeit at different strengths) as doctors. At £25 a month for both dogs I pay £300 a year, however I might well have vet's bills for more than £1000 depending on the condition treated. Whatever you do it's a gamble. If it weren't profitable the insurance compnaies wouldn't be doing it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal