Produce > Kept Animals

Quail

<< < (2/2)

glow777:
Just general stuff, ease of use, cage type, problems found and egg yield etc.

But more importantly general comments like too much trouble, don't bother, avoid like the plague or no problems or mine died when it got cold etc

Ian

agapanthus:
they were quite problem free.....obviously they need someone nice and snug...and they did lay prolifically....just good husbandry and common sense. Mine were in an ark...that could always be moved...and they had a few branches inside 'cos they are quite shy...fresh water and the appropriate feed and you should have no problems:)

fluffygrue:
I did a bit of research as we wanted to keep quail, and they seem mostly similar to keeping bantams. The main quirk is that they tend to fly straight up if frightened, so need a fairly low ceiling to their cage (as they can break their necks :(

As such, they want more ground space and less vertical space - a fair amount of Americans seem to keep them in large-ish fishtanks indoors.. not quite convinced they'd be happy there, though.

Melanie

Truffle:
Hi Ian,

Lottie had a thread about this a while back.. not sure if she eventually got the quails though.

I also really interested in keeping quail's in addition to our chickens, so I'll be following this with interest....

growmore:
I suspended a netting ceiling about 18 ins from shed one they were kept in ..They tend to lift straight up if startled,, cheers.. Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version