Author Topic: Manure vs Compost  (Read 1649 times)

sweetbelle

• Not So New ...
Manure vs Compost
« on: January 12, 2006, 09:42:44 »
I am new to allotmenteering and my soil is quite heavy. Is it best to incorporate manure or compost? I've been told sand would also be helpful but in what quantities?

Help!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Manure vs Compost
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:00:16 »
If you have heavy soil then get your hands on as much compost or well rotted manure as you can. I add a barrow load of horse manure to roughly each 1-2 square metres of ground, the amount you want to add depends how heavy your soil is. Sand will also help to lighten it but is not absolutely necessary if you can dig in lots of manure. There will be some crops you don't want too rich a soil for (like carrots) and others that like a very rich soil (like pumpkins) so have an idea of where everything is going to grow this year before you start.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:03:25 »
If your soil is heavy then it may be improved by adding humus, simple rotted organic matter which will break the soil and make it more friable, thus easier to work with. Either manure or compost will also add nutrients, manure being more concentrated. If you intend to add manure, it should be allowed to stand, or 'rest' for a few months before exposure to plants, as otherwise it can be too strong and burn the plants. A thin covering over the surface should be enough to improve the soil.

I cannot comment on the sand issue.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:58:48 »
heavy soil (clay i presume?) is not all bad. true, it's difficult to dig and sometimes you have clay bricks that just wont break up. but despair not!
i have the very same on my plot. compost or manure will add nutrients, but clay is normally a good soil, holds water well. i hardly watered all summer - the top looks bone dry but one or two inches down it's nice and moist :)
you will have really trouble raking the soil to a fine tilth. i sowed a lot of my really small plants (celery, celeriac, herbs etc) inside in pots, and planted them out when they were big enough and didnt mind being planted amongst huge lumps of clay :)
another trick is to make a line, fill it with compost and sow directly into that. this way you also see exactly where you have sowed and what comes up should be almost 100% weed free. i have done lettuces this way. it also means that the soil/compost above that seed row will be easy to break through for the seedlings - clay soil forms a hard crust under wet-dry conditions which might make it diffuclt for little plants.

carrots and parsnips - i have chosen a small carrot variety - round carrot, that doesnt need to go down very far. for parsnips, i dont grow that many so i station sow them into dibbed holes filled with fine crumbs/compost. again this is to do with helping the seedlings along, and providing a deep stone free area (hence the dibber hole) - i have hardly had any forked 'snips :)

work with what you have. and don't despir. once the plot is underway and the plants are growing, the soil will come into its own! and by the end of the season, it does look very managable and lovely - i covered a lot of my beds with water-permeable plastic so that the soil structure wont get too damamged and compacted over winter (heavy rain etc)

as to your sand question: you can add sand but it wont make your soil better. just a little less claggy. and you would probably need a lot.
lay out some paths between your beds, dont step on the soil and it's as good as it gets, i think

hth
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 21:47:35 »
Don't add sand, grit or gravel is good but sand will only make matters worse

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 21:57:08 »
@Svea, most helpful.

Esp:
another trick is to make a line, fill it with compost and sow directly into that

Thank you.  :)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 23:08:09 »
i forgot to mention, the previous advice is of course very good. i have dug in a couple of beds of compost when i got my hands on some - as well as making plant holes when i was transplanting my tomatoes, cucs and squashes. for those i dug out some soil, added some rotted manure and heape the soil back on. gave the plants a resevoir of nutrients
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 19:45:16 »
Agree, Svea's advice is excellent dotCompost (love the handle!)
If you don't fancy digging in compost all over the plot, what about experimenting with the Lazy Sod method of making useable veg beds without digging. This should enrich your heavy soil naturally, but give you the advantage of growing on rich soil this season.

Several peeps have reported good results from Lazy Sod (also known as the Lasagne Method!), and here it is:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=13515.0
Good luck taming the soil, hope you have a happy season ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal