Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 21684 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2007, 16:17:50 »
Gosh I found this topic whilst searching for something else. I wonder...did you all get your reading done? What was your favourite read of the past year?

I still haven't read Moby Dick. I found a brand new hard back edition in a bric a brac shop for 3 quid. snapped it up and started reading it straight away....it got usurped by some other quicker reads and it is still sat waiting for me to pick it up again. Strange thing is, is that I was enjoying it even though I found it a bit of a trawl  haha!

I bought and listened to all of the Harry Potter books on audio cd and thoroughly enjoyed them.

The main book event for me has to be finally aquiring some shelves which enabled me to pick all the piles of books off the floor. For a while I didn't have to climb over anything to get into bed...that's been replaced now by boxes of shoes,clothes and hair doing implements.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2007, 18:40:27 »
Heldi. Too many to list but as I really enjoy biography's and autobiography's they have been my main reads. Recently Eamonn Holmes, just finished Amanda Barrie. Now reading Cilla Black and next will be Claire Rayner. Last week Lorna bought from her charity shop. Eric Morecambe.Unseen. The lost diaries, jokes and photographs. All books have been birthday or Christmas presents. Family always buy me biography's. More shelves needed. Have also read several fictional books when short of reading material.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2007, 18:58:32 »
just found this post ... reading

Concurrent Systems
An integrated approach to Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and Databases by J Bacon

as you can probably guess its a course book and, shock horror, its not as interesting as it sounds

G

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2007, 19:03:53 »
~mostly murders and seed catalogues

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2007, 19:08:21 »
Never read a book when I was small (had problems with reading) then only started reading recipe books when I was about 25 (1977)
Different story now enjoy all sorts
Just finished Martin Cole - The Graft

Had two books for Chrissy - The allotment hand book  Caroline Foley ongoing reading
and the Story of 'O' - Banned in the UK for years quite erotic read in 2 days !! ::)

Just started OH's book The Sound of Laughter Peter Kay

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2007, 19:24:52 »
Oh dear! For someone who loves reading I am in a sad situation....here goes,with apologies to 'The Fast Show'..

Today I am reading Law Books!

Love CLx

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2007, 19:44:37 »
I am reading Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, currently on the third one, The Waste Lands.

I find SK patchy - at his best he is a superb writer, but he has also written some awful stuff.  So far so good with the DT - it's not really what I expected.  I was afraid it was going to be another wannabe Tolkien effort, but it's quite different.

Anyone else read it?

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2007, 19:55:34 »
The posts on A4A ( Sorry could not resist it )
                    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2007, 20:28:44 »
I'm reading, not necessarily in order, Elizabeth Peters, all her Egyptology mysteries,
Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith, all my gardening books and, as Richard says, all these posts  ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2007, 21:14:43 »
Moby Dick's like most novels of the time; it rambles. There's some superb factual stuff about whaling, but it's mostly incidental to the plot. Very well worth the effort though.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2007, 21:33:36 »
Polished off the Wintersmith got for Xmas... couple of Lottie books including Foley.. and just to scare myself "Frozen in time" about three terrible winters in the 20thC two of which I lived through!
 8)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2007, 13:09:34 »
I noticed mention of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" further back.  Great story, although Pullman's worlds don't have the depth and consistency of Tolkien's (but then, whose could?).

The first part of the trilogy is currently being filmed as "The Golden Compass" with an excellent cast headed by Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig.  Lots of pics on the website, looks as though it will be really good.

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2007, 13:37:12 »
I loved the Faraway Tree books (way back at the beginning of the thread!) and the Silver Brumby books as a kid too. I'm currently reading my xmas presents:

Grow your own veg, Joy Larkcom
Buried, Mark Billingham (just finished)
Triptych, Karin Slaughter (just started)

then I've got the 4th instalment of Clive James's autobiography, North Face of Soho, and Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid to look forward to.

a couple of books I remember being read when to us when I was at school are by BB: The Little Grey Men and Down The Bright Stream (from amazon):

"The last four gnomes in Britain live by a Warwickshire brook. But when one of them decides to go and explore and doesn't return, it's up to the remaining three to build a boat and set out to find him. This is the story of the gnome's epic journey in search of Cloudberry and is set against the background of the English countryside, beginning in spring, continuing through summer, and concluding in autumn, when the first frosts are starting to arrive. First published in 1942, this book is still fondly remembered and well-loved by readers everywhere. This edition includes the original black and white illustrations by the author."

ooh, that's made me all nostalgic...!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2007, 16:25:29 »
Reading at present..Earthly Joys by Philipa Gregory, (looking promising) and next up is A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka.....can't wait for that one, read a few pages on a journey-and whetted my appetite.
Loved the Far Away Tree and Harry Potter and Charlottes Web.
My favourite so far is The Time Travellers Wife, couldn't stop thinking about it after I finished it. Moving stuff.
Used to enjoy Lynn Reid Banks, especially An End To Running.
Looking at my bookcase now, there are soooo many books I have read and loved, I could go on forever. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2007, 17:33:22 »
I'm about to start reading a book called Blood, Sweat & Tea, author Tom Reynolds.

The synopsis on Amazon:

Have you ever wondered what's going on inside that ambulance you see screaming past with its sirens on and blue lights flashing? Does it contain a heart attack victim fighting for their life, while trained medical professionals administer emergency treatment? Or have you considered that it might be yet another 'maternataxi' ordered by a woman who can't be bothered to book a real cab and who then complains she can't smoke on the way to hospital? Meet Tom Reynolds. Tom is an Emergency Medical Technician who works for the London Ambulance Service in East London. He has kept a diary of his daily working life since 2003, first as a website called Random Acts of Reality and now for the first time as a no-punches-pulled book. His award-winning writing is, by turn, moving, cynical, funny, heart-rending and compassionate. From the tragic to the hilarious, from the heart warming to the terrifying, the stories Tom tells give a fascinating - and at times alarming - picture of life in inner-city Britain, and the people who are paid to mop up after it.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2007, 17:48:37 »
Is this the 'Blogger' interviewed on R4 ? If so, you are in for a good read YP.
Smile, it confuses people.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2007, 17:52:25 »
It is indeed EM.  I've been reading some of the blog today, it's great stuff.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2007, 20:02:22 »
Made a note of that one Sam.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2007, 20:04:40 »
I got Wintersmith for my birthday on Sun.... finished it last night! (i feel I have too much time on my hands now that I have hidden all the ironing  ;D).

Emaggie - my bookgroup read The Time Traveller's Wife - we all love it. I cried buckets!

Love the Andy Cleveley book - my favourite bit is the picture on pg 22 of the lady standing in front of her shed. It's so lovely and neat inside! Mine will look like that one day!

Waiting for "The Gardener's Pocket Bible" to arrive from amazon and am considering "Your Allotment:The-Down-to-Earth Guide to Plot Paradise" from them as it looks quite good

Next on the list is To Kill a Mockingbird - read it at school but it's our "Classic Title" for bookgroup, and I'll definitely be giving that Tom Reynolds book a  try - it sounds amazing

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2007, 21:14:56 »
I got Wintersmith for Christmas, haven't started it yet though.
Mr Pratchett must be worth a fortune going by his popularity on here alone

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal