Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 21781 times)

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2007, 21:21:30 »
Bluebird...pass it on when you've finished!!!! ::) ::)

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2007, 21:22:39 »
I have no desire to read any Pratchett books despite my partner having all of them :-\ just finished the DA Vince code and prior to that sabriel by Garth nix  , before Pratchett fans get mad each to their own as they say  gonna take the fifth for present reading and say a4a ;D
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2007, 21:24:43 »
I'm currently reading "Vanity Fair" - what a wow and how relevant to now!! :o I'm also reading the Faraway Tree books and Roald Dahl with my grandchildren. Reading is so cool!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2007, 00:01:37 »
I got Wintersmith for Christmas, haven't started it yet though.
Mr Pratchett must be worth a fortune going by his popularity on here alone

Ummm, yes. You could say the man is worth a bob or two. A couple of years ago, I think his worldwide sales stood at around 40 million books...

Bought Wintersmith for OH for Christmas and managed to stave off the temptation to read it until he left it unattended on Christmas Night  ;D

I have a book in my hand much of the time at home, and there's usually more than one on the go at once... I often put one down at the bottom of the stairs when I go out, and pick it up again at bedtime. Meanwhile, there's another lurking in the kitchen (being read while prepping supper for the triffid tribe) and probably one in the bedclothes from when I fell asleep reading...

Current/recent stuff...   
The Egg and I (marvellous, funny old autobiography by an American writer, Betty MacDonald).

Men of Honour (Adam Nicolson's riveting book about Nelson and Trafalgar).

Just starting The Subtle Knife (Philip Pullman) having read Northern Lights back in autumn.

Just finished Tehanu, the fourth book of the Earthsea quartet, which I loved. I read Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books as a child, when they were still a trilogy; picked this one up in trepidation but it still has LeGuin's magic touch.

Plus a stack of online essays about the nature of light and the latest copy of The Week magazine.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:56 »

The Egg and I (marvellous, funny old autobiography by an American writer, Betty MacDonald).

Triffid - I love this book! No-one else I know has even heard of it! Have you read "The Plague and I"  by her as well? Funnily enough I just re-read it a month or so ago.

Tabby
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:25:53 by tabbycat »

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:17 »

Triffid - I love this book! No-one else I know has even heard of it! Have you read "The Plague and I"  by her as well? Funnily enough I just re-read it a month or so ago.

Tabby

No, Tabby, I haven't heard of that one. The only other book of hers that I've read (also wonderfully funny) is "Anyone Can Do Anything" .   It's the only humorous account I've ever come across of life during the American Depression of the 1930s.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:33 »
yay@triff & tabbycat - I've got all three, from charity shops, over the years :D Whenever I felt low about my choice of profession, I picked up Anyone can do Anything, soon put a smile back on my face. Have you come across Onions in the Stew by the same author?
if you can imagine it, Ruth Stout (Queen of Mulch) wrote her books in a very similar style ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:15:05 by supersprout »

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2007, 10:19:15 »
Just looked it up, SS --  :) Sounds the perfect cure for all life's little downs.

With Christmas over, I think I'll have to start a 'mummy would like this for her birthday' list  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2007, 11:05:09 »
How can anyone not have read Betty MacDonald??

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2007, 12:11:11 »
Just finished Samuel Pepys biography by Claire Tomalin;a fascinating book. Currently doing 'Olga da Polga' by Michael Bond as bedtime reading.

Thank you to whoever it was that mentioned BB and 'the little grey men' - remember loving those books as a child. Straight over to Amazon for me, I think.

Brendon Chase was one of his classics, too, wasn't it? Wonder what my kids will make of a story about children running away from home/school, taking a rifle with them and then living in the forest trapping and skinning wild animals, collecting  birds eggs and so on?

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2007, 12:31:59 »
How can anyone not have read Betty MacDonald??

When I've mentioned her elsewhere, no one else has ever heard of her, Tim!
I began to think that this was a UK-wide problem, and that we were only exempt because we have cousins in Seattle.
That may be why we had the books in the family in the first place (they're not exactly recent editions  ;D)

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2007, 12:36:06 »
"Anyone Can Do Anything" .   It's the only humorous account I've ever come across of life during the American Depression of the 1930s.

Am going to try and get hold of a copy of this one.

"The Plague and I" is about the author's stay in a TB sanatorium & all the people that she meets there. It's wonderfully funny and heartbreakingly sad at the same time. You can't imagine anyone around today going through it - they'd say their human rights were being well and truely violated! It's an odd subject to write about but it's fantastic. She's so good at seeing the funny side of really terrible situations.

Tabby

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2007, 01:22:04 »
The first book i remember i enjoyed reading  as teenager was Arthur C. Clarke's "Lost Worlds"and that was it been a Sci-fi fan ever since,the "Gormenghast trilogy"got me in to fantasy books which i think is as good if not better than "Lord of the rings". Robin Hobb,Fiona McIntosh,George R.R.Martin,&David Eddings are but a few of my favorite Aurthur's.Currently reading book two of the "Tamir Triad"by Lynn Flewelling.For some book bargins take a look at the Greenmetropolis.com i find them very good. :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2007, 06:09:26 »
great link froglegs, thank you :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2007, 00:36:34 »
Forgot to add Robinson crusoe.I wonder how many lottie holders would survive on a uninhabited island....think i would...if i had me shed....oh and that nice cob shop that does them nice bacon butty's i get on my way to the plot,...yea think would survive. ::)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2007, 12:46:53 »
Ooh, dangerous link frogslegs, could get carried away on there!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2009, 12:38:09 »
Resurrection!

So what's everybody reading these days (other than A4A threads!)  What's going on your Christmas list - it's only 2 months and 5 days away  :P ;D

I'm currently reading Spike Milligan's Rommel? Gunner Who?: A Confrontation in the Desert, the follow up to Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall.  They are very, very funny books.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2009, 12:43:06 »
Ah, good choice! I'm reading Mark Steel, "What's going on?", very thoughtful,  funny & well observed politics, family & breakdown based humour.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:22 »
Just finished "The Kite Runner", lovely book, wish I had read it when it came out.  I didn't want it to end.
The Tuscan Beaneater

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2009, 13:05:09 »
The last two books I have read have been From Here, You Can't See Paris (Michael S. Saunders), Serge Bastarde Ate My Baguette (John Drummer) and I am currently reading Happy Birthday (Christina Jones). After that, Paths of Glory (Jeffrey Archer) - I know he's not everybodys cup of tea......but I like his books.
twinkletoes

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal