Author Topic: Thread Discipline  (Read 38238 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: Thread Discipline
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2006, 18:38:02 »
Ditto.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2006, 18:43:19 »
i find the chat room to fast cant keep up with it, plus it has loads of screen freeze,s on me , i love the shed has good friendly banter in it with lots of happy nice peeps  ;) ;) ;)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2006, 18:44:41 »
both have their advantages.

And you see people in the shed you dont in chat and vise versa.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2006, 18:47:24 »
No need for over-the-top type reactions here.  No knee jerking needed when all is being asked is to stay on topic in the relevant forums/threads  ;D

And I have to ask, Derek, if the only person you want to chat with on here out of the hundreds is Dan, then why are you still here?  Don't really get that one?  Pardon my ignorance. (not that Dan isn't a lovely fella I might add before I get jumped on!)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2006, 18:56:46 »
Yellow Petals

In a previous thread re christmas you attacked me publically, twisting my words to make your arguments appear to hold water.

You are doing it again.

The only person I  will discuss my views with is Dan, that is nothing to do with who I want to chat to.

Why you relish attacking me, I cannot fathom. You want me off this site? Shall we hold a vote?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just leave me alone eh?

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2006, 19:01:33 »
Oh eck.

I find it fascinating that the same few words can be taken in so many different ways by so many people.

Let me make a few things clear,

I do not want or expect (or have indicated I would like) an apology from anyone.

I locked the thread discipline thread as my reading of it was people were just continuing the thread for the sake of it - I will reopen it, merge it with this one, and allow you all to continue.

I don't think what I have asked is out of order, if you feel it is, contact me and let me know, I have only received positive messages about the request.

Now,

GO  ;D

Yellow Petals

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2006, 19:05:17 »
Yellow Petals

In a previous thread re christmas you attacked me publically, twisting my words to make your arguments appear to hold water.

You are doing it again.

The only person I  will discuss my views with is Dan, that is nothing to do with who I want to chat to.

Why you relish attacking me, I cannot fathom. You want me off this site? Shall we hold a vote?

Apologies if you feel I have twisted what you said, but I can assure I do not think I have.  My post was not out of spite - I asked you a civil question to a point you raised yourself.  You said you only felt you wanted to discuss matters with the administrator of the board so I asked you why you still used the board if you were not interested in talking with any of the other members.  I dont see that as rude or unreasonable?

And as far as attacking you personally?  I left the playground a long time ago, suggest you do too.

Dont expect any response from me in the few hours - am off out with my beau :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2006, 19:09:40 »
Scuse me, a min....Dan...it was a wry Hmmmm wasn't it? It's bugging me now... :-\
Have a lovely time, Sam!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2006, 19:12:09 »
Yellow Petals

You are doing it again.

Apologies if you feel I have twisted what you said, but I can assure I do not think I have.  My post was not out of spite - I asked you a civil question to a point you raised yourself.  You said you only felt you wanted to discuss matters with the administrator of the board so I asked you why you still used the board if you were not interested in talking with any of the other members.  I dont see that as rude or unreasonable?

And as far as attacking you personally?  I left the playground a long time ago, suggest you do too.

Dont expect any response from me in the few hours - am off out with my beau :)

No further comment

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2006, 19:19:46 »
my new book.

a day in the life of an A4A poster.

Packed with gossip, controversy and scandel!! all you will ever want to read.  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2006, 19:21:40 »
Stick to topic  in book though Adam... ;D  sorry, I'm not doing very well am I... :-\

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2006, 19:23:22 »
Like your 3184 posts Derek?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2006, 19:23:41 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2006, 19:28:07 »
Another board I'm on has a special section where threads of permanent interest go (it's quite easy for a moderator to move them from one board to another) and where banter isn't allowed. Other threads are eventually deleted, and anyone can ask for a thread to be put on the permanent board, with the banter, if any, deleted. Something like that might answer the concerns about threads disappearing.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2006, 19:30:19 »
What about those posts telboy  :) It is not the number of posts, it is my rate which is less now, that is all that has changed.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2006, 19:58:26 »
If this, or any other thread deteriorates into personal abuse then it will be locked and deleted.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2006, 19:59:11 »
oh crikey not another thread of arguments!  :-[

Why do all long term areas of communication ultimately end in discord and the manager of the site end up piggy in the middle?

My own theory is that without body language, tone of voice and being able to see the twinkle in someones eye (or glare!) that the context or tone in which something is written is only as relevant as the mood or current thoughts of the reader.

Is that relevant here?  I think so because that is what leads to misunderstanding and mistrust.  Can also result in very long drawn out 'banter'.

This forum seems to have lasted very well so Dan can't have being a doing a bad job and probably hasn't changed that.  That only leaves us lot to have changed.......and after all, presumably the forum is managed for us as much as anything else.   So if anything has to change it needs to be us!    Dan I expect is only bowing to wishes or hopefully the common good.

.....and as a joker and side conversationalist none of that is not directed at anyone specific as it includes me!  So shall try to abide by the wishes to avoid to much side banter and jocularity in the 'serious' threads.

Iain  please can we all have a HAPPY New Year... ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2006, 20:06:40 »
This forum seems to have lasted very well so Dan can't have being a doing a bad job
You don't think this could be down to a few "bores"
I wonder if they know who they are?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2006, 20:19:43 »
Dan was pointing out the need for thread discipline, which we have  probably  all been guilty of one time or the other, but for people to deliberately disregard his topic and seemingly wander off in a variety of unrelated chatter seems a bit of a slap in the face to him.  I think he has been very patient but let's not test it too much.  busy_lizzie

You hit the nail right on the head Busy Lizzie.
Nothing wrong with 'aimless wandering' (to use Terrace Max's words) in the Shed but why not start a thread of general banter or aimless wanderings. Why go way off topic on someone elses thread and not only that but wander aimlessly, on a thread that has a clear topic? Start your own thread but don't sabotage other people's, it's disrespectful.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2006, 20:27:16 »
i do agree with you Ina it is very disrespectful , bit some times one thing is said and it leads to another and before you know it the thread has completey disappeared , i don't think or believe that any body would sabotage someones theard , i am a banter and gone off of loads of threads , but have never done it on purpose , so i will behave in future and just keep my banter to the shed , and see if Dan could move lottie laughters files to the shed  as it is an old flame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal