Author Topic: Thread Discipline  (Read 38300 times)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Thread Discipline
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2006, 22:00:13 »
dont know RC last time i looked i had strippy shirt on and onions round my next garlic coming out  of my ears and bread under my arm , and a beret on so i could be french  ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2006, 22:56:17 »
But Dibs....then you'd eat frogs legs... :'(   Pardon me, Dominique...

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2006, 23:47:32 »
Hmmm....

I think it may be time to lock this thread!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2006, 15:40:40 »
Seems that some folk are pushing Dan to the limit? Dangerous?

Maybe a second round of apologies is due??

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2006, 15:42:49 »
i dont understand why it was locked??

it was chit chat in the shed, just like he had asked.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2006, 16:00:21 »
Adam 04 ;)

I do believe Dan asked us all to Stay within the Topic ???
Did he not??

A little Banter or chit-chat not Saturation of a Topic!!
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Yellow Petals

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2006, 16:00:47 »
I have to say, I am in agreement with Tim on this.  I do my fair share of idle chit chat I know but at times it does get a little out of hand and my own little opinion re the Thread Discipline is that of Dan having the Pee taken out of him - albeit in a harmless, silly non offensive way (if that makes sense) but there has to be a place to draw the line?  

More and more threads are starting off as one thing and turning into another for no other reason but loose chit chat.  I'm thinking for the more garden/allotment minded amongst us (and I don't include myself in that .... yet ....) it must be completely infuriating.  

Before posting, maybe stop and think if it's relevant to the thread or not and if it's not, drag it somewhere else as was done with the Children and Work thread earlier this week?

Common courtesy is all.  

:)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2006, 16:11:50 »
Deviating from the thread inside the shed/watershed is OK isn't it? I thought deviating from the thread which was about deviating from the thread was just being ironic??

Can't see much to apologise for so far?

Noticed today the Crocus advert here. Presumably if Dan wants to fund this site he needs to demonstrate a certain membership and posting rate? Whatever you think of the content, the sheer volume of chit chat in the appropriate place must be a good thing if only to attract advertisers. Also indicative of healthy, happy site...??

Just guessing & not trying to be vexatious. Just won't apologise for reasons I don't understand...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Yellow Petals

« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2006, 16:15:59 »
  :)  Yep, yep, can't say I disagree with any of that TM.  Certainly appears to be what The Shed and Watershed are for and I myself am more than capable of inane drivel 24hrs a day, lol. 

Was referring to Dan's Thread Discipline thread if you see what I mean?  :)

And quite a few of the other targeted subjects suffered a similar fate, think that's why Dan posted what he did?   :)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2006, 16:33:54 »
yes i understand about the thread discipline on other parts of the board.

But i dont see how when he says chat only in the shed, not elsewhere and then we do, in the shed, all be it on that thread it gets locked.

To me, locking a topic is just doing the same as removing it from the board all together, and apparantly it isnt done very often (removing threads) but its being done regularly i see.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2006, 16:55:55 »
Was referring to Dan's Thread Discipline thread if you see what I mean? 

And quite a few of the other targeted subjects suffered a similar fate, think that's why Dan posted what he did? 

Hear what you say Petals. And you know as well as I do that none of the chatterers wants to disrespect Dan. I think he's got a sense of humour too?

I agree that targetted threads should be observed elsewhere. But equally I can't believe that any member with more than say 1000 posts has ALWAYS stuck to the point in every thread  ;D

I think people should say what they mean. If they don't like the people involved in the banter, in it's proper place, that's different from the banter itself being wrong.
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2006, 17:04:43 »
Dan locked the thread......................we got the message.........................why start it all up again

As far as I can see except for on one occasion banter was reserved to the Shed and Watershed and on the one occasion it wasn't all it took was a gentle prompt to remind us!

I have apologised once and never ever want to offend but surely as we get busier and spring rolls on the banter will naturally cease anyway won't it ............we'll all be too busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2006, 17:35:13 »
Have to say, I did see Dan's "Hmmmmm" as a wry one, with the corner of his mouth tilted up.....  :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2006, 17:35:51 »
Have to agree with Tim.  Dan was pointing out the need for thread discipline, which we have  probably  all been guilty of one time or the other, but for people to deliberately disregard his topic and seemingly wander off in a variety of unrelated chatter seems a bit of a slap in the face to him.  I think he has been very patient but let's not test it too much.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2006, 17:41:22 »
Please don't shoot me but I feel a lot of the chat that takes place should rather happen in the chat room. Remember that only a certain amount of space is available for storing all the threads, the more chat there is means the more older stuff has to drop off the edge into that black hole, some valuable information may be lost. I often go back 1 year to see what was being discussed as it's relevant to what's happening now, if there's too much chat there may come a point when you can't go back as far as a year, that would be a great shame. There is another forum where this has happened, a great loss in my opinion. I'm not sure if this is right but if the forum becomes loaded with too much chat does that mean Dan has to upgrade to a host that will carry the extra load, at an extra cost to Dan, I wouldn't want to contribute to more expense for him. And about the advertising, I think the advertisers work on number of hits through the links rather than how much posting is done on the forum, I have advertised here in the past and the reports I got through email were number of hits rather than how busy the site was.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

undercarriage plan

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2006, 17:44:38 »
I have been gulity in other threads and for that I hold my hands up and will bite my lip...promise....but as Wards said, and Dan himself, the shed is for Non allotment related chit chat, isn't it?...you're safe Jess, only have water pistol at min.. :)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2006, 18:22:08 »
i must hold my hands up to, very guilty of going off topics in other treads , think that i will properly be limited to the shed from now on till i can behave , god not been on-line for weeks and i have missed behaved allready  ;D ;D sorry if i have annoyed in anyway to peeps ,but we are all properly a little guilty  :( :( :(

undercarriage plan

« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2006, 18:25:07 »
I'm sooo sorry....I just can't not!! I've bit my lip and gagged and everything but...sigh....can't see anyone attempting that manoeuvre, Wards.. :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2006, 18:30:10 »
I have strong opinions about this, but I am keeping them to myself. I am enjoying the chat room and the people that are currently using it.

You may have noticed that I am not posting as much anymore. The fact that this thread exists at all should spell it out.

The only person I have any interest in discussing my views with is Dan.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2006, 18:35:15 »
Some enjoy the chatroom DTF.  Some enjoy the Shed. Each to their own perhaps? I'm still struggling to see a problem  ???

but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal