Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 8511 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Chicago
« on: January 01, 2006, 23:07:38 »
Watched Chicago on TV tonight and loved it!  But then I am a girl who figures all movies should be musicals.  So, your fave musical movies are.......?

I would go for Blues Brothers, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and probably Moonstruck, altho that isn't so much a musical, as a soppy film with lots of great music, and now of course, Chicago!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Chicago
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 23:19:11 »
That film was very good Emma, i love musicals, THE KING & I,SOUTH PACIFIC,AMONG LOTS OF OTHERS HELLO DOLLY, better stop or i shall be here all night long.   We saw the show Chicago a few years ago and dident like it very much, have heard it got better as it went along.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 23:36:59 »
Oooh, Emma, I love a musical - film or show!  Of the oldies my absolute fav was Showboat, even better than West Side Story for me - wept buckets at both of course.  Think I've seen just about every one since 1950  :D

Of the stage shows - it's a tie between Les Miserables and Blood Brothers so far (hankies at the ready again  :'()

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:16:19 »
For me it has to be a real classic - West Side Story, music by Bernstein and lyrics by Sondheim. There are many great musicals of course, and I could think of several, but this one seems the big daddy of them all.

If you were to force me away from this one, then I would probably choose the King and I ...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 11:53:38 »
I really can't stand musicals (don't know why but my general attitude is that they are short on plot and padded by a bunch of cheesy songs) but what I did see of Chicago last night looked impressive so I may have to watch it next time it is on.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 11:56:20 »
I love Oklahoma, Calamity Jane, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Carousel, West Side Story, and the Sound of Music and was a bit disappointed that they were a little thin on the ground on TV this Christmas Season.  I am quite happy to see them every year,  - in fact I could probably go on as I just love musicals full stop!  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Suru

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 12:11:40 »
My kids love Cats having performed it at school.Blood Brothers is brilliant too!But my two favourites have to be The King and I and South Pacific.Some Enchanted Evening is a beautiful song and never fails to bring a tear to the eye no matter how many times I've seen it!Usually to cries of 'Oh mum ,they're only acting!!!!!!! ::)
      All the best for 2006
       Sue

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 12:33:45 »
I saw The Producers on stage recently and have not laughed as much in years. I am definitely going to see the new film version.

Apart from that, Les Mis, Phantom, Lion King, Kiss me Kate are right up there. Watching my sister in the lead role singing love songs to Maria has slightly put me off West Side Story! She was a very good Pharoah in Joseph, though!!

I now how visions of EJ as 'a girl who can't say no!' Que sera sera ... perhaps, a sort of Calamity Jane down the allotment (couch grass away, couch grass away, couch grass AWAY) :)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 14:18:53 »
Sound of Music, King and I, White Christmas, singing in the Rain... The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 16:10:08 »
Course, there is me just thinking about movies....but of course there is the stage, altho I am not quite so cultured (or wealthy!!!!) ....can say I have seen Cats and phantom and of course the wonder Les Mis though. 

Ah, the king and I.....shall we dance...a 1,2,3 and...... and West side story...I want to be in Americah!  Fab.  LOVE MUSICALS!!!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 17:00:39 »
Bloody miffed that I couldn't tape 'Chicago' last night........found out much too late that TV/video link had been trashed (or something) during an elec. fault..and no time to Consult Manuals before I went out..

Was really looking forward to seeing it, too  :'(

Best Musical?? Well, at the time they were fresh and new, the sheer excitement of 'Tommy' - when a Pop Opera was quite mind-blowing, has got to be up there, and then 'West Side Story'........again, its raw breaking-out-of-the-mould energy that was the seller.......

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 17:26:30 »
I am daft about musicals and the one I like at the mo as my niece and I have been watching  is Guys and Dolls.  Love that bit in Singing in the rain when Donald O'Connor dances up the wall.  Wow!  Love the tap dancing on the table by Ann Miller in Kiss me Kate (my husband likes that particular bit too) 

I like the cheesiness Clang.  that's why folks like musicals  ;D  I missed Chicago the other night but would have loved to have seen it.  I shall be watching the old film version of the Producers though as have just got it on DVD  :)  I think to like musicals you have to like singing.  I have a crap voice but it doesn't matter to me  - I am that girl named Maria  ;D

I came, I saw, I composted

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 17:37:26 »
I liked Chicago :-)

Don't mind the Lion King, but really, really love Moulin Rouge! Who can resist Ewan McGregor singing?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 17:54:04 »
Yep. Another lover of musicals here. I loved The Sound of Music and amongst my presents was a DVD. I went with friend to see the film in London (left Charlie to mind the shop) I think that was mid sixties, correct me if I am wrong.
Haven't managed any stage versions but have so enjoyed all of them either in film or television version.

Did anyone see Julie Andrews on television recently? Wow doesn't she look great, what a pity  she had to stop singing.

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 18:23:13 »
WOW saw chicago too and loved it.. lot of talent.. first class

Fave musical tis a two way split.....

The King and I ........... Les Miserables

tis so tough to choose between the 2.. so aint gonna best ever musical was/is Les Miserables but only the one with Yul Bryner playing Val-Jean
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

ozzy

:-* :-* :-*

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 18:31:32 »
It has to be The Blues Brothers for me, but then The Rocky Horror Picture Show has a sing a long something which takes a lot of beating.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 18:38:59 »
John H you're talking my language, I'm not a HUGE fan of musicals but have to admit I loved both Blues Brothers and ofcourse the wonderful Rocky Horror ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 18:43:09 »
My Fair Lady, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The King and I...... I just love musicals!!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 18:54:34 »
Mean to get the Blues Bros out as have heard many good comments on it otherwise love anything. Did think one yeqr when we went to France and had only got a tape of Joseph that the kids played 24 hours that I would never want to hear one song from that again but it has passed.
Marigold

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 19:17:45 »
Blues brothers, Guy & Dolls and Jungle book.
All together now, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, I wanna be like you hooo hooo.
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal