Author Topic: This years best non gardening achievement  (Read 7597 times)

petemason

• Half Acre
This years best non gardening achievement
« on: December 01, 2005, 12:16:56 »
I know we all have lots to be proud of down the lottie but what has been your best non gardening achievement this year?
I'll kick off with mine which is that at 49, I finally learnt to swim courtesy of some very patient instructors at the local sports centre.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: This years best non gardening achievement
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:36:31 »
Along similar lines, learning to ice skate ...

Derekthefox :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:13 »
I'm learning web design using Dreamweaver.  Have another lesson on Friday morning (I'm 48 by the way)

Made a cake yesterday without burning it  ;D

Me and some others peeps have formed an action group to stop a former
works being turned into the biggest waste disposal site in Europe.  Round
one to us  :)  I even went on telly.  Don't know what I sounded like as I
never got to see it  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51:55 »
For me, I think it would be finally getting my little business off the ground, and sorting out the school gardening club.  Though I have to say, it was a major achievement getting out of the shed I managed to get locked in this morning.. ::) Had to phone best friend's OH to go knock on client's door to say his gardener was locked in the shed..... ;D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 13:18:58 »
Carefull with the iceskating Derek -the other half took my daughter and a friend in the summer -and I got to go to casualty to pick them up. She's still not able to drive and I'm utterly sick of Broomfield hospital.

Not sure it's really been a year of achievements for me, more a case of grinding through it -roll on Xmas :)

Didn't we have Xmas smileys last year?

Jeremy

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 13:31:44 »
Good question Pete, and congratulations on learning to swim. :)

The Best thing I've done this year is recognising that I was suffering from depression, getting help, and overcoming it.
Also, getting an allotment!
And surviving a year with a toddler (and having him survive!)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 13:52:05 »
I think mine are all to do with riding. I've always been a bit nervous, but this year my confidence has really grown. One of the horses I ride regularly now is always doing a rather good impression of a bucking bronco. Mostly now I just laugh it off. A year ago, or even six months ago, I would've probably dismounted and refused to get back on!
gone to pot :D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 14:10:41 »
Mine is work related - went to Tokyo in Feb and nailed a presentation to some stupidly senior people in my traditional japanese company. Was the only woman there, youngest by about 25 years and at 6ft 2 in heels, the tallest by about 6 inches!

Most terrifying hour of my life. Made diving with sharks seem like catching a bus.

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 14:16:45 »
Holidays again after never going far I went to Lake Garda. Also celebrating my daughter's 21st, mom's 80th and my 50th all  within two weeks of each other at end of July. I so enjoyed. ;D
Marigold

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 14:20:02 »
hmmmmmm...a hard one.........I guess it would be taking both of our lovely, happy, healthy kids to school in September.  Watching them grow is amazing, and I catch myself looking at them and thinking wow, they came from me, I made them, they are living breathing little people!  Sorry if that is corny or cheesy, but there you have it!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 14:38:26 »
I have taken a few falls Jeremy, but nothing nasty, except landing on my coccyx was unpleasantly painful! The falls are not so common now, as my balance is adjusting ...

The Christmas smilies are in your profile, under Look and Layout Preferences

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 14:42:27 »
Emma, there is nothing corny or cheesy about being proud of watching your children grow up. It is one pleasure most of us can identify with, I certainly have.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 14:42:53 »
Well done with all your varied achievements. Mine?? Still managing to grow older gracefully if a little mad ;D

Pete. Would love to achieve being able to swim. I keep saying I will go for lesseons so that I can swim with Joshua when we go on holiday. 71 too old??

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 14:51:25 »
Nah Lorna.  Be good for you too as it's good exercise which doesn't put any strain on your muscles etc.  I think you would get in the pool with your arm bands on (or whatever) and the teacher would show you what to do and you'd be doing it straight away Lorna.  Much easier than say learning to drive.  It's like learning to walk I suppose.  Go on Lorna do it  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 14:57:19 »
I agree Wardy, swimming is wonderful exercise.

Lorna, age is not an issue, if I can take up ice skating at 50! Just take the plunge (pun intended !!!) and enjoy yourself !

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 14:59:01 »
Wardy I think you have convinced me ;D Josh's Dad paid for him to have lessons, he is still at learning stage but Tuesday he did a width without any floats etc. I took him the other Tuesday and it was really grand to see these young children learning. There was one little girl about 6yrs old and boy was she good. Since losing Charlie Lorna insists I go on holiday with them, Josh always shares a room with me and he loves it, well you all know I am mad. Anyhow to be able to swim with him would be icing on the cake.

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 15:41:16 »
I have looked and layed out and all I have got is written Smiley Wink etc.
Where is th echristmas thingys then I pressed dpwn for them to.
Swimming is great. I was 25 when I swam thought I would before the kids beat me to it. Mind you the parents had tried to dtown me several times before that. Knew some one who was 85 so years to go yet to catch up with that one.
Marigold

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 15:43:50 »
 :o  ::)  :-*  :'(
just trying
Marigold

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 15:44:38 »
That was no use then
Marigold

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 15:57:10 »
Wardy I think you have convinced me ;D Josh's Dad paid for him to have lessons, he is still at learning stage but Tuesday he did a width without any floats etc. I took him the other Tuesday and it was really grand to see these young children learning. There was one little girl about 6yrs old and boy was she good. Since losing Charlie Lorna insists I go on holiday with them, Josh always shares a room with me and he loves it, well you all know I am mad. Anyhow to be able to swim with him would be icing on the cake.

Nip down to your local swimming baths and see what they have to offer. When I began, I didn't know what to expect but the instructors are fantastic. At 49 I am one of the youngest there and without doubt one of the main reasons for people learning to swim is so that they can join their grandkids in the pool on holiday.
I really don't regret going, even if I had to be prised away from the side in the 3ft end!
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal