Author Topic: Addictive Allotmenteering  (Read 16009 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Addictive Allotmenteering
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 21:29:56 »
Ha ha , when I said tramp look, I was referring to myself  ;D ;D ;D

Derekthefox :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2005, 19:16:05 »
Whew, thank goodness that is cleared up, it seems so easy to offend people on here without even intending to.  :D

boris

• Quarter Acre
  • Hhmmm, let me think
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2005, 19:20:15 »
Sarah Raven or Rachel de Thame?
I'd go for the scruffy one every time.
Still thinking

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2005, 20:08:48 »
Wardy I used to take the Bank Manager a tray of eggs and a side of pork to butter him up.. In fairness I only would give them to him after he agreed to my request (in case he thought I was trying to bribe him ;D)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2005, 21:02:19 »
Of course you would Boris  ;)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2005, 02:22:58 »
Addicted? Yes. Want to be cured? No.
Marvellous to hear phrases like these which I recognise:
..felt like scraping em off on the rail under his desk..How could people not want to be out in the fresh air...I struggle to find any going out clothes...Since becoming addicted I have become less enthusiatic about work... in supermarkets tutting at vegetables...

For me, the best bit is the quiet. I don't have to THINK when I'm on the allotment, the hard work just clears all the busy stuff, the hassle, everything, out of your head.  Peace on the allotment has a very civilising influence on me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 02:40:50 by jennym »

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2005, 11:34:46 »
Wardy, it just goes to show that with lots of TLC and home grown veg, the world can be a better place.  Good on ya.  ;)

I'm sure your niece will be well on the road to recovery with those lovely soups.  Which of them has been her favourite.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2005, 11:50:37 »
I didn't grow any pumpkins this year, don't ask me why, I just forgot  ::).  Anyway, I grew them last year and made pumpkin soup for the first time.  It was so yummy. I found a packet of seeds in my trusty seed tin from last year. I'll remember to sow them next year, they are ( Squash - Uchiki Kuri)  They're suppost to be quite small and have lots of taste.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2005, 14:53:26 »
What an excellent observation Jen! I get the same calming effect, all those yabbering voices in my head just cease when I get to my allotment. And all the physical exercise gives me a healthy appetite, and the chance for a good night's rest...

Just watch out for the 'scruffy' look, Jen !!!

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2005, 14:14:38 »
I'm the same as the earlier posts. If you'd of said to me a couple of years ago that I'd enjoy digging a plot of land with my flat cap on (I have got one!) I'd of said you were mad. Now my back is better I really enjoy going and doing a bit. It may well never win best kept allotment but I don't care and I do enjoy it.
The only thing I miss is a bit of support from the family.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2005, 15:26:10 »
Hi Crash.  Don't work that back too hard will you  :)  Sorry not much support from the family as it would be so much more fun if you could involve them.  Even my old man is involved despite his initial scorn.  He sort of became interested as he likes big, noisy machines so he can play at Rambo  ;D  Now all the graft is nearly done he chills out up there and potters.  he has nowt whatever to do with growing - that's my bit - but he loves it up there as much as me.  My brother has a plot and his family don't support him, other than me that is  :)
My nieces are my best supporters - 4 of them - and help me on the plot or by buying me stuff for the lotty, in return for food as they are all mad keen cooks  :) It makes me more enthusiastic to keep it going, even in this weather, when I have such appreciative supporters  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2005, 15:49:08 »
Wardy When my kids ask what I would like for a present I suggest.. Compost, vermiculte, seeds.need a couple of trellis frames. I can't see anything wrong with that but they poo hoo the idea.

Crash. Agree with Wardy, I suffer with back trouble which I got many years ago doing a stupid thing.... like trying to get a big old sow on her feet!! I take it very easy now

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2005, 20:48:40 »
This thread is hysterical ;D ;D ;D.  So many poor addicts and so many neglected OH's; what a rotten lot we are!  now where's that seed catalogue........
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2005, 09:32:11 »
My sister despairs at me.  I keep expecting her to get Susannah and Trinny round. Is there room for style on the lotty do you think. 

Of course there's room for style on the lottie  ;D I rekon T&S would say jeans and a t-shirt in the right shape for you would be the solution (ie for me bootlegs and a v-neck). I'm sure I'm a bit of a state sometimes bent over digging in my v-neck  :o

My lottie is 5 minutes drive from work, so I was always popping in after work to pick stuff. I'd just chuck on my wellies under my nice skirts/trousers and tops  :D Haven't been there in heels yet, but there's still time  ;D

PS: I've asked Santa for seeds this year  8)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2005, 09:46:09 »
You have it in a nutshell Andy !!! But all of these mad posts definitely help to keep me sane ...

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2005, 11:32:34 »
Wardy T & S would have something to say about a Kaftan!

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2005, 21:47:15 »
I never realised how thin my thatch was getting until working on the plot this summer  ;D

Now I am the proud owner of a beanie!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2005, 09:24:07 »
Same here Mothy, as if you can't tell !!! I tend to wear a hat almost all the time when on the plot now, warm hat in the witner, beanie in the summer, just those in between times when I can get away with nothing ...  :)

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2005, 11:35:01 »
i do most of the choosing, planting and sowing on our lottie.
vikkie does most of the eating! ::) (she's seventeen)
sophie makes most of the mess and chucks slugs on the pond to see how far they get along on the duckweed before plopping beneath the surface (she's three)
david makes path and fences and raised beds etc.
this year i want him to invent some kind of windpowered clever gadget like a birdscarer or automatic watering system.  ;D
i fancy being married to an inventor!
yep! my family are definately supporting my addiction  ;D ;D ;D
Tara xxx

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2005, 15:04:57 »
MikeB, have sent a P.M.    {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal