Author Topic: Link a Bord Raised Bed  (Read 2960 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Link a Bord Raised Bed
« on: November 16, 2005, 12:05:07 »
Just been told my new link a bord raised bed is ready for collection and I'm off to collect it now. Can't wait to get it to the plot and up and running

This is an extravagance but my husband is buying it for me ( I take back everything I ever said about him) ;D

I already have one big one and one small l.a.b. beds and I notice that the lettuces I planted in that are much bigger than the ones in open ground which were sown at exactly the same time .  The plastic is said to be a good insulator so it looks like it's true  :)

Aren't I lucky. It will cost £44. complete with support dowelling for fleece etc
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 22:34:01 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Re: Link a Bord Raised Bed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:13:44 »
I guess your just a little excited then Wardy and I don't blame you, like a sprog with a new toy,  is it an early Chrissy pressy then?
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 13:27:55 »
Glad OH knows how lucky he is to have all the fresh veg etc. He has certainly rewarded you for your hard work.  Good luck with your new aquisition!!! Lorna.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 01:21:51 »
wardy !  if you get any more raised beds, you could well be the first allotmenteer on the moon !  < .... wanders of to bed with strange images of wardy turning green cheese into compost for "Apollo" beans  ......   zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:50:20 »
Actually Wardy, that looks really good. I think it is a great investment, and so much easier and hardier than getting things together yourself.  Thats going to last and last and make life a lot easier for you. Well done your OH, for getting you something so worthwhile.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

monkey puzzle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 16:34:41 »
Love the new raised bed wardy.  Also envy your posh shed.  Bit upmarket for our neck of the woods I reckon.

:)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 09:09:09 »
We started to make our own, but the cost of new timber was prohibitive. No skips around here!

So, in the year, we've expanded into Linkabord. Very happy.

But do remember the considerable price difference between suppliers. I posted a comparison of 3 options a while ago.
This morning looks like this - coooooold!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 11:03:10 »
That pic made me shiver Tim.. 
You know how little I know so Wardy, Tim would you please tell me the benefits of raised beds?  I have a small area which I am going to use for  veg next year and I think a raised bed would be ideal. Would marine plywood be OK? I have quite a bit left in late husbands workshop. (I am a dab hand at swawing and drilling LOL)
Regards Lorna.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 11:04:55 »
Might be a good idea for me to use spellcheck ::)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 13:10:46 »
Just go back & correct it & no one will know!

Try this?

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,7566.0.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 13:13:39 by tim »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 13:50:57 »
Thanks for that link Tim. Interesting reading. Here in the Fens the soil is excellent, no drainage problems. However I think the area I have in mind a raise bed wiould be great (and must help the sciatica!!), Lorna.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 16:08:28 »
No drainage problems here, either.  I just like the un-trodden soil - no digging - and the fact that each bed is a finite task. But moisture retention is a problem.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal