Author Topic: BBC news  (Read 3161 times)

madmum

• Half Acre
BBC news
« on: August 31, 2005, 14:12:02 »
If you go to the bbc news homepage and search under
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4199086.stm

it will show you what they are doing to lotties in our area!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: BBC news
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 15:11:28 »
Very interesting.  However,  has anyone looked into the old law that if you can prove you cultivated land for 20 years (I think but needs definately needs checking) then it can be claimed as your own.

I know of at least one occasion when this has stood in court so you never know.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 15:52:13 »
I think it may be 12 years, Icy. Dad had to charge someone £1 a year once for putting goat on meadow, suddenly realized they'd been doing it for about 10 years and ownership would have gone to them .... I think. ...But good plan, and agree def needs checking. Lottie  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 16:41:40 »
UC I think you are right about it being 12years. When we had a bit of land with a lot of buildings we had to stop the man from growing his strawberries right up to the back of the buildings.We didnt really mind about the 3ft or so but if he had managed to make an ownership claim we would have been unable to do maintenance on the buildings. Lorna

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 18:00:09 »
hi all
those are our allotments. We've had to vacate today. you can read more about em on www.savetheplot.co.uk - there's also another thread on The basics: email campaign to save our lotties, last updated about a week ago I think.
Very sad day for us in Bicester.
I will finish it, one day

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 18:34:06 »
Sorry to hear about that Larry - unfortunately it always seems to be the same.  The powerful organisations with powerful friends always trample all over the little guy.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 19:57:50 »
You need to do something about the letters you reproduce on that page; perhaps link to other pages showing only the letters in a larger size. It's not easy to read any of them.

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 20:02:27 »
HI Larry
I am in Bicester too
Used to have a lottie on Leach Rd site but got vandalised too many times so gave it up.
Do you have a lottie anywhere else or just the church one?

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 20:21:54 »
Not sure how much help this is but half of our garden used to be an allotment.  Council agreed to sell it to the previous owners some time ago after they claimed under this rule.  They had been in the house and tended the allotments from1950s to 1990s so not sure on qualifying period.  There are fairly major covenants written into what we can do with the land.
Other people on the row have been refused - perhaps the loophole has been closed?

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 22:33:48 »
Sizing the letters is a pain. Sorry, will try to think of a way to make them more legible, nobody else has complained for a while so thought it was ok.
my ex-allotment is the only one I have, though I am fifth on the list for one at Ansons Way, which is about a mile away.
I've updated the website again tonight, so though I haven't changed the pix, anyone in Bicester might be able to object more easily, thanks to other supporters who told me how it can be done online!

slug_hunter

• Not So New ...
    • Chris Howe Allotment Farmer and Self Sufficiency
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 07:23:32 »
Can't believe that they could do that to your allotment site :(

I hope you manage to find a way out of it!  Ive only had my plots a couple of months and with the hard work that goes into it when they are over grown I would not be pleased if I had to leave!!!

Slug Hunter
Check out the blog :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 18:57:55 »
Sizing the letters is a pain. Sorry, will try to think of a way to make them more legible, nobody else has complained for a while so thought it was ok.
my ex-allotment is the only one I have, though I am fifth on the list for one at Ansons Way, which is about a mile away.
I've updated the website again tonight, so though I haven't changed the pix, anyone in Bicester might be able to object more easily, thanks to other supporters who told me how it can be done online!

If you scan them full size and and then resize them using your web software rather than picture imaging so that they fit on your page you can hyperlink the picture to its location on the server so when clicked they then appear full size on a page on their own.  Takes longer for them to download but it is a way of showing them full size without it spoiling the appearance of your page.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 09:45:12 »
district council voted unanimously to reject church plan for our lotties. Still doesn't mean the church will change its mind though. www.savetheplot.co.uk has an update, apologies about dodgy letter sizing, no longer have web software to resize pix ... it's all html for me now, after we bust bandwith and had to endure loads of ads before you could get into the website.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal