Author Topic: Whats in Your Shed  (Read 6917 times)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Re: Whats in Your Shed
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 12:36:15 »
For the time being, I'm going to stick with my bucket of wood chip combined with sage leaves  ;).  Only 2 of us work on the lottie.  All the other plot holders either live next to their plots and are men.  And I can imagine where they aim straight for when they have the call of nature - the compost bin :o  :o. 

Each plot is very private, so anything can happen and not sure if you would be seen.  But us ladies are more genteel, and a bucket in the shed is much more civilised. ;D I've even put a curtain up at the window, just to add to the privacy. :)

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2005, 13:01:00 »
When I told a colleague at work about the bucket and that I emptied it on the compost, she said 'Oh I'm not eating anything from your allotment then'  I had to restrain myself from telling her about all the chemical 'gumph' (not sure what that means but it seemed an appropriate word  ;D) that goes into all the stuff that she buys from the supermarket.  I also mentioned that is is possible to recycle Number 2's  :-[, she shut up after that. ;D  ;D

People and allotments, what is it about us all. ;D  ;D  ;D

Lily

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2005, 13:20:15 »
A friend of mine won't buy any dirty veg and once returned celery because the base of stems were covered in muck - God help us!!!  and she thinks I'm crackers. ::)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005, 13:30:10 »
It's people like that, that contribute to the supply and demand of the produce we see in the shops today.  I've seen fruit (Lemons) in the supermarket that say ' Not great lookers but great juicers' they were dead cheap.  People are buying with their eyes.  How fruit and veg looks on the outside, is not necessarily what it looks like on the inside.

I'll put my 'soap box' away now.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Lily

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 13:49:35 »
It's funny how I've got less fussy about dirty/damaged veg since growing my own. I now happily eat chard leaves that the slugs have also been enjoying and don't cut all the blemishes off tomatoes, etc. I just can't bear to waste anything after all that work! And I'd rather eat a bit of mud than chemicals!

Anyway - back on topic. My shed contains: all the usual gardening stuff, two bikes, envelopes (for collecting seed, which I keep forgetting to do), lots of loose compost and mud, a chest of drawers full of string, left-hand gloves and old plant labels, several friendly spiders, a leak in the roof, bags of bags, bags of polysteryne, an old lantern (but no candles), bottles of water, um... oh and since I tidied up in there - room to move!
gone to pot :D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 18:03:48 »
Gawd help us.
A friend of mine won't buy any dirty veg and once returned celery because the base of stems were covered in muck - God help us!!!  and she thinks I'm crackers.  ::)
When I told a colleague at work about the bucket and that I emptied it on the compost, she said 'Oh I'm not eating anything from your allotment then'

I don't think I can say anything more appropriate than Wardy's
Oh some people are just dead stupid!  Don't waste your breath on em   :-X
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2005, 20:58:25 »
Just don't mention sheds to me. Haven't got what I call a PROPER shed BUT. The sunroom still has bird cages all along back wall that husband built when he bred canaries, also got hundreds of plant pots in there which I keep meaning to throw out!! also some trough type things which Charlie thought would be good for growing toms in (you put grow bag in each trough and a wick is inserted so toms never get dry.) also still has his table saw in there!! The ex pigeon loft I keep most of the "digging tools"in" Charlies workshed (outhouse ouside back door) I keep things like strimmers, hedgecutters etc in (would have to break through two doors to steal them) The garage is fortunately quite big 20ft  x 10ft so car goes in there but I keep finding things that Charlie had in there. There is a water filter (glazed type thing) which still has original charcoal in it. I know we have had it for 33years when we bought the filling station and the old boy had the garage for 40 years so God knows how old that is. Have also found about half hundred weight of galvanised nails which he used when he supplied and made fencing.. I thought I had given all his tools (cross cut saw, metal cutting machine etc etc) to my son and son-in-laws but still finding things. I kept his drills, cordless screwdriver etc as I can handle them!!!!
He really loved tools, you name it he had it!! If he saw something advertised he would say "Get that for me please" When I pointed out that as he was badly disabled he wouldn't be able to use it. His answer was "I know but probably the kids would like to borrow it!!!!" I wonder if he put a pot of gold anywhere ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal