Author Topic: Wireless Broadband Router  (Read 7550 times)

TEL

• Hectare
Wireless Broadband Router
« on: November 06, 2005, 11:28:52 »
I'm a bit slow when it comes to this type of thing .
If you can help what i need to know is what do i need & can i run two PC of the same Broadband line & is it safe from hackers.
All advice most welcome Thanks. :-\

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Wireless Broadband Router
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 13:55:33 »
Three ways you can go. The wireless one you mentioned needs software, transmitter and reciever.
Hard-wired by 'jumping from your host computer. The second one would then be the 'slave'. You would need the host one turned on and connected for the slave to access the internet. (Can be got round but not sure how.)
Lastly, hard-wired again but to the modem with a direct and additional link to your provider.
The safest and less hassle way is the last one but it also means additional cost 'cos you would need to pay the provider for the extra connection. The second method mentioned above is the most popular I guess.
If you just want to transfere files then wireless or the second option without internet connection would be good enough.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 20:05:19 »
Wow Ken ! Your knowledge is endless !

Do you know the best way to run the internet from a laptop run from offshore (from the water)??

Thanks for any assistance.

;D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

pixelated

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 21:27:15 »
TEL, the cheapest and easiest way to connect your second pc for internet, file and printer sharing is to use a cat5 crossover cable with 2 network cards. Most modern PC's have a network card as part of the motherboard, it looks like a larger phone type socket "RJ45" if thats the case all you need is the crossover cable, plus with win xp there's a network setup wizard that will do it in minutes for you. Once setup you can share music files, documents, printer and even play network games against each other. If you don't want 1 cable from the first PC to the second the next best way is wireless, but that takes alittle more setting up with ssid "Service Set Identifier" this acts like a password, then wep "Wired Equivalent Privacy" which encrypts your data packets... The good thing is win xp with service pack 2 give you wireless network wizard to help you out. I use the good old fashioned cat5 cable which has served me for the last 6 years without fail, i have a mate who went wireless and his other PC's sometimes drop data due to signal strength problems, but thing have improved since then.

As for safety nothing is safe on the www, even the best systems like the us gov website has been defaced. BUT EVERY LITTLE THING HELPS TO KEEP SCRIPT KIDDIES OUT!

There are a few free programs i use every day to help keep my systems clean from viruses, trojans, worms, spywareand adware etc...

AVG Anti-Virus (free) http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
Spybot (free) http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Crap Cleaner (free) http://www.ccleaner.com/

As for a firewall, all i use is the built in firewall that comes with win xp with no problems on all computer i have on the network and those programs listed above.

:-\  Hope this helps...

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 20:45:25 »
Thanks all i will look in to all of those & see what i can do.
as a novice i may have to come back to you all hope that OK with you TA

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 08:35:17 »
I run 5 PCs via my LINKSYS cable/dsl router, which is linked to my cable supplier's modem.
Interestingly there is no legal reason why you should pay for the additional PCs, but when things go wrong and you call their help desk, remember to make sure that only one pooter is connected, and direst to their modem, or sometimes they get arsey. The signal strength gives you away otherwise, and that's one of the first things they check!
Also, using the cheapest routers can cause trouble. They work well to start with but can fold up and die. My last SoHo one did just that.
A hard wire system is probably best for us non tekkies as we can track down some problems with human logic!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:34:41 »
PC World have got this offer on at the moment.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/757871

It's the setup I've got. I use Netgear. I find them very good incl phone support to get you going.

btw order on-line and collect at your nearest store - it works out cheaper, don't ask me why..!!

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 20:49:02 »
Hi DC is that all you need to run 2 PC of the same line or do i need to by any wire free cards to put in to the PC to.
Sorry to seem vague but i do get lost on some of these things
TA

Mac49

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 23:29:51 »
In Windows XP click Start, click Help & Support, click Networking & the Web & select what you want from the dropdown list, it's in graphics as well if you want it.
Mac.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:13:33 »
Hi DC is that all you need to run 2 PC of the same line or do i need to by any wire free cards to put in to the PC to.
Sorry to seem vague but i do get lost on some of these things
TA
In a word Yep.
My telewest modem plugs into the router, the router plugs into the PC. You need to use posh blue ethernet cables (not USB), but that's straightforward.

I got the downstairs PC up and running, then plugged the usb adapter into the PC upstairs ran the wizard thingy and now I have two PC's running off the one broadband line.

It's all a bit scary I know, but Neatgear are very good. They came highly recommended to me. I didn't use any win xp wizards though. All done using Neatgear wizards. It worked for me, I think it will work for you too.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 23:44:35 »
Hi Tel.  Just gone down this route myself when teenage son's desire for laptop with internet access became essential for school work.  I bought a Belkin wireless router/modem and went to buy Belkin USB adaptor for my desktop but shops were sold out so instead bought a Belkin wireless network card which fitted into a spare PCI slot in my tower.  The accompanying software from Belkin enabled me to switch on, set up a password and encryption.  Now son spends all his time on MSN and is a happy chappie (homework, what's that?) and I don't have to share my PC any more ;D

One thing that was said to me was if buying an adapter and router/modem, stick to the same make just in case there are any compatability issues.  Have fun.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 06:13:14 »
Thanks all have got the fun of going shopping Saturday.
If it rains sunday ill fit it all up. ;D

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 10:32:56 »
Hi all
Went shopping & got a belkin wireless router stater kit.
When i tried to install it the first time i cocked up everthing.
So this morning i started again then phoned the help line after 40 or so Min's it was up & running a happy littel me ;D Have just linked my other PC to the system from which I'm typing this"o joy"
So once again thanks for all your help & addvice. ;D ;D ;D

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 11:36:10 »
Well Done TEL  :D

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 13:07:49 »
Tel

just make sure you forward the required ports also ! etc etc
if you need the ports ill try and find the ones you need to forward and what to disable but ill need to know what modem you bought

i bought the belkin access point and pci card and the pcamca card for laptop asewll and although the reccption isnt the best in the world it works noicely for me down stairs (wireless aces point is up stairs next to my router

carl

oww before i forget sometime you need to activate the firewall on the router it doesnt necessarily come already working !!! check !!!
another member of i forgot my password

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 14:10:01 »
Hi carloso
How do you turn the firewall on if thats what i need to do to stop peeps parking outside my houser & running of my broadband as Ive been informed can happen

TA

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 19:48:10 »
Firewall nothing to do with people logging in from outside as such !
this you need to set up WEP OR WPA or blah blah blah from page 16 in your manual presuming its the same book as mine i bought the card (pci) and PCMCA Card and access point to and all came with the same book

im lucky at the min as i dont live close and its a quite little village so i havent bothered with it but just make sure you write down any codes it shows you as your other computer requires it also to take to each other !!!

ill have a word as i know one of the lads at work has the same set up and uses the 128 bit wep

carl
another member of i forgot my password

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 01:04:51 »
Agree with most of the above, I still use an old fashioned hub for all my "pooters" straight forward RJ45 cables and software firewall on each machine. Mind you, I just love seeing all those cables snaking round the house !     ;D
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 20:56:13 »
cheers waiting in anticipation. ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 20:58:31 by TEL »

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 11:29:42 »
just make sure you forward the required ports also ! etc etc
if you need the ports ill try and find the ones you need to forward and what to disable but ill need to know what modem you bought
Hello carloso, what's this about "forwarding ports". Maybe you can guide me here. I have a Telewest Blueyonder set up with a Motorola SB4200 modem. I'm using Neatgear wireless router on main downstairs PC and a Netgear usb adapter on the upstairs PC.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal