Author Topic: cold calling  (Read 10030 times)

ACE

• Hectare
cold calling
« on: September 14, 2005, 14:24:41 »
I have to tell you about a naughty way with dealing with these phone pests. When they ask to speak to Mr. ?????  I tell them to wait while I go and get him. Then I just put the phone down and carry on with what  I  am  doing. They usually hang up after a couple of minutes.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: cold calling
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 14:40:24 »
I have done that too, it makes me feel better anyway ...

Derekthefox :D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 15:56:19 »
Hi Heritage and Derek,

If you register with the Telephone Preference Service this puts your number on a list which blocks most of the cold calling from the UK (not overseas unfortunately). A few months ago it got to the stage where I refused to answer the phone after 6pm, then a friend told me about TPS and now I hardly get any!

Cheers,
Rob :)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 16:01:05 »
We registered, but still get calls, same with junk mail.  My darling Ava does exactly that Heritage, or starts asking them lots of questions....normally does the trick!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 16:12:34 »
I would certainly recommend registering with the telephone & mail preference services, our cold calling & junk mail has been cut down to virtually nil. I think all we get are those recorded messages saying we've won a cruise or some such - not much point leaving them on hold!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 16:38:04 »
;D ;D

I live in a first floor flat. Guy phoned a while ago offering an amazing deal on conservatories. I asked lots of questions and was very enthusiastic. Made the appointment for the "surveyor" to come round, and then the poor chap asked (sounding somewhat shocked) why I was so positive about the whole thing, he said most people hang up on him.........
Well, I said, I am desperate to see how you will fix this conservatory to my first floor flat. He hung up!!

Also have been known to tell double glazing peeps that I am an undischarged bankrupt!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 17:14:32 »
Excellent!! Tend to deal with the problem the same as Emmma's OH! Get them to explain the "absolutely no cost to yourself bit....", Have been known to ask to speak to manager, for full explanation, end up with both us being confused, them needing lay down and retraining, me, shrug of shoulders and pootling on my way.... ;)Lottie  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 17:36:24 »
I thank you all for the advice about TPS I registered last friday, but I understand it takes about a month to start working.

I did not realise how bad it had got with the phone until last week when I had to have a few days off due to a slight accident with half a ton of metal fencing falling on me. The phone never seemed to stop ringing. Surely these people can be stopped? I for one will never be sold anything on the phone.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 17:45:18 »
Hi Heri.,...you can also ask the Post Office to stop delivering there own junk mail. Your address gets flagged at the sorting office, but when I requested this service, my real mail got delayed, so no can win.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 18:26:22 »
when we get those pain in the bum calls we just keep saying hello hello as if you cant hear anyone, they soon think you cant hear them and put the phone down it works

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 21:17:57 »
Yup must agree, i dont know if i have tps, but i must say i find it funniest to take out some frustration on them with any of these aforementioned tricks, or ask completely irrelevant questions or even just give them a quick outburst of the morality, legality or annoyingness of cold calling, and see how they react  ;D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 23:19:18 »
Don't know if this is true but someone was telling me that in some cases you end up paying for the call, especially some of the pre recorded ones and ones outside this country, so if you just hang on, it could mean more on your bill and not theirs.  It is best if you just hang up straightaway.

We have signed up for the tps too and it seems to have really cut down on the calls even the ones from India.  They are such a nuisance and these people that ring up are so tenacious and do anything to keep you on the line. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 23:50:34 »
We have sorted the junk mail and the landline phone probs, but need a little help with the mobile phone pests, I recently found a number to cancel "Vodaphone" from reminding me (At the most inconvenient time) that I had missed a call, but can't find a way to stop them from trying to sell me their products. >:(

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 00:40:27 »
If you get really desperate, you can also pay BT a few pounds a quarter to block all "number witheld" calls. This still doesn't work with calls from abroad, but it does get rid of the people who pay no attention to the TPS lists.

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 07:16:25 »
I always ask them for their name and the company that they are representing - they generally find an excuse to avoid telling me - but want to know why - so I tell them that I have registered with the TPS service and that they have broken their agreement - this could cost them a large sum of cash for each violation - and eventually result in them losing their telephone service - this usually stops them from calling again.

--Alan
Always look on the bright side of life

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:34 »
Phone rang again last night, I could see it was number unnavaliable, so for a laugh I made some beeping noises and said 'if you want to speak with Mr. ??? press 1, If you wish to speak with Mrs. ??? press 2, for any other inquiry  SOD OFF. Stunned silence from the other end of the phone.

I hope it was not a prospective customer.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 10:34:08 »
I enjoy trying to get them to hang up on me!

My favourite was a few years back when Mr Aqui answered, my bank asked to speak to me. Mr Aqui (without covering the phone) said "I think it's another bloody sales call". I answered, Mr Bank man said "Yes this is another bloody sales call. How would you like to save £50?" I said "whatever it is you're selling, I'm not interested." He hung up.

Another one called recently and said blah blah, sales cow manure, etc. I replied "Whatever it is you're selling, I'm not interested." "I'm not selling you anything. You just pay £X and you get this!" "Well if that's not selling, I don't know what is. Goodbye." (Turned into pre-plastic surgery Anne Robinson there!)

And my favourite was one that said "Hello Mrs Aquilegia. I understand you are a mobile phone user." "No I am not. I hate mobile phones. Goodbye." Puts phone down. A few minutes later I picked up the phone to make a call and the guy was still there. I said "Can you please hand up the phone." He did - I think he must've been in shock!
gone to pot :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 13:14:36 »
Excellent katynewbie and wardy !

I had a similar incident with religious visitors knocking the door ...

They asked me how I was ... 'Great' I said

'But what about all the sadness in the world' they said, 'and the wars'

'Just great' I said, 'keeps me in  a job...'

'And what job would that be', they enquired

'Sorry, can't tell you', I replied, 'Official Secrets Act', and winked !

They were speechless, and my wife was rolling on the floor laughing !

Derekthefox :D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 13:19:17 »
We haven't been bothered by the JW since I told them we are Catholics (will I be damned for lying?). I opened the door when we were on our way out one Sunday morning and told them, "I'm sorry we can't talk, we're off to church!" (The stables is my church - I wonder if they noticed my riding clothes!)

Or maybe is was due to the time we were digging in the garden (which is actually to the side of the house and in view of the front (actually side) door!) We'd been finding various rusting nails, which I was announcing in mock Time Team style. "Ah - here's another Mesopetanian ceremonial thingy!" (Only I was using the more technical term for it!) Found a particularly large nail with other bits attached, which I named as a "Mesopetanian fighting thingy". Just then the JW were at the door...
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 14:23:25 »
Ooo great tips  ;D
I really should be doing a tma for open uni, but sod it, this is far more interesting than loop invariant conditions, plus tutor is away so has given us a mini extension (should have been in tonight by 23.59 with online submission, but hopefully can finish it by saturday midday).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal