Produce > Edible Plants

Celery

<< < (2/2)

merv:
Hiya,  :)

The only time I was successful was when I grew it in conditions resembling a paddy field.

I would like to grow it, but when I have, it's always bitter.  :(

Any ideas?

ina:
I tried growing celery for the first time this year. Just yesterday I harvested all and put it on the compost. I never knew it was supposed to be earthed up! The sticks stayed thin and when I tried eating it I ended up spitting out dried bunches of something resembling soggy wood fibers. Not a success. I think I now know what I did wrong: not enough water and not earthing up.

Hugh_Jones:
Tim, most of the celeryI see in local supermarkets is foreign grown.  If you`re getting English some of it may still be grown `the proper way`, but if you were an English grower trying to supply for the supermarkets` cut throat prices, which method would you use? -growing in deep trenches at 9in. spacing, with labour intensive earthing-up 2 or 3 times in the season, or planting on the flat in blocks at 8in centres and no earthing up?  I know which method I would use if sale and profit were the only considerations, but I like to eat what I grow.

I forgot to mention - Sandringham Dwarf White, Clays Pink and Standard Bearer (red) were my favourite varieties.  I would add that none of the whites stand as hardily as the pink and red varieties, and should be eaten first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version