Author Topic: Hibiscus  (Read 6277 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Hibiscus
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:25:06 »
I have 3 hibiscus plants, about 6 foot tall and covered in blooms at the moment, but I want to move one.  Anyone have any experience of how well these move?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Hibiscus
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 12:59:43 »
Hello EJ

I have two Hibiscus, in pots. 

Had to re-pot one of them recently (when it was all covered in buds) 'cos it got knocked over!   :o oops!

I kept it mighty damp to stop bud drop and it's now blooming away, only lost a few buds, no other damage of note.  It is a Hamabo about 4 ft. ;) 

Blue bird also in pot blooming it's socks off.  They like it damp! :)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 13:46:09 »
One of mine is bluebird and it looks great!  Once it has finished flowering I shall dig it up with as much rootball as I can and get it into it's new home. Our garden is very wet in places and dry as a bone in others, but they are so gorgeous, they are worth a little effort!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 13:49:59 »
Aren't they just. :)

Have you ever tried to strike them from cuttings?

My siter-in-law had just bought an unnamed variety, plum/burgundy colour, I sneaked a small cutting but was wondering about my chances :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 13:53:47 »
No, never, but have got seeds to germinate.....but then they shrivel up die!  I was planning to do a big cuttings extravaganza this weekend in the garden to keep the greenhouse busy over winter, so I may take some from the hiby as a backup. I shall go take some pics of mine to post!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 13:54:32 »
If you can wait until the leaves drop it would be better as there is less water loss. If not get on with it!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 18:54:38 »
Here are 2 of my lovely Hibiscus.

I have another one, darker pink, but still holding on tightly to it's buds.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 21:00:28 »
Thanks Emma Jane
Love the pics, the flowers look brilliant, i've not grown hibiscus b4, but you've convinced me to find out more about them!!
Thanks again
Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 00:50:29 »
A question for the hibiscus experts!
I have a hibiscus bush in my back garden, on the sunny side, about 4 ft tall. It's never flowered. It's about 6 years old. Two years ago I moved it from a position that was becoming too shady due to neighbours tree. Any idea when I can expect to see flowers? I don't know what variety it is unfortunately.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 14:41:11 »
I am no expert, however, my 3 are growing in a wet bed which only gets sun until lunchtime.  They receive no special treatment and have flowered since I received them, and they were no more than little sticks!  I think water is the key, and maybe a good feed.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 22:36:26 »
Thanks. I never water, maybe I should.

KevB

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 17:09:11 »
Well EJ I told you I'd take a look at hibiscus and i found one that is 3'6" tall for £35.00 which i walked away from (How Much!!!!) then today i found another for £11.00 which is about 2' tall and in flower!! its full of buds. I didn't realise the flowers are SO BIG 6" across!! WOW.
Next job is to find a spot deserving of it!
Thanks Again
Kev

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 18:14:14 »
EJ moved my Mum's one for her, and it is doing fab 2 years on!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 22:52:34 »
35 quid! WOW! My darling got mine on ebay a few years back and paid about a fiver for the three. They are gorgeous, but very late to come into leaf and bud, but well worth the wait. They look so fragile to me I think they shouldn't be hardy, but they do just fine.  Glad you found one Kev!

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 10:12:01 »
But does anyone know if they would be hardy up on the Pennines?I love them but havent tried them yet as my garden is rather exposed.Gr8 piccies by the way EJ .The Primulous Candilabra seeds you sent have done really well and are just coming into flower ..................beautiful tx.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 16:22:00 »
£35....cor blimey, what was it gold edged? I bought mine from Tescos last year, no the year before but like EJ need to move it...its the best its been ever too. think I'll get it shifted tomorrow, fingers crossed for yours EJ but I won't hold my breath about mine...I never seem to have much luck with these things.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 12:56:29 »
Ladies,

I think we are talking about two differernt types of Hibiscus.

There is the hardy variety that  EJ & I were referring to.  Blue Bird atc.

And then there is the tropical/greenhouse keep indoors for the winter sort.  Big blooms to stick behind your ear on a tropical island variety!! ;D

The prices are extremely different!

KevB

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 09:12:15 »
Hi Flowerlady,
so you think the price difference to be due to the fact of tropical versus garden plant!! Well the one i bought for £11 is pictured below, it is also the smaller twin of the £35 one. it's flowers as you can see are approx. 6-7 inches across, which give the impression of tropical but they're not!!
Cheers Kev

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 09:26:52 »
I got my tropical plants from morrisons £1.99, I put them in big outdoor pots and they are about 3 foot high and have at least one bloom a day. The outdoor shrubs I got from B&Q, they where £2 each off of the reduced shelf as they where finished flowering and the leaves were falling. Two years later and they are big healthy bushes now.

KevB

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 12:25:59 »
Hi Heritage
"Don't you just hate it when that happens" I thought i'd found a bargain and then you tell me this   ::):'( never mind,  i'm happy and the flowers ARE beautiful.
Cheers Kev

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal