Author Topic: Fremontodendron  (Read 4241 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Fremontodendron
« on: August 27, 2005, 01:33:07 »
I have a Fremontodendron 'California Glory' which is about 8 years old and glorious, but unfortunately too near a path, and since it is irritant, I will have to cut it down but do want to have it elsewhere. It's too big to move (about 10 ft high x 7 ft wide) so I have tried without success on several occasions to take cuttings. I'm quite experienced with cuttings, and don't know where I'm going wrong - can't find any info - has anyone succeeded with this?

montanum

• Half Acre
Re: Fremontodendron
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 12:03:50 »
I don't grow this plant myself but I would try semi ripe cuttings anytime now. GOOD LUCK .
From The Mountains

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 22:38:25 »
Yes I've tried several types of cutting, ripe, semi-ripe, tip, layering, air layering, all with no success. There must be a different method for Fremontodendron. Come on someone!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 17:42:26 »
Hi Jenny, in my expert book...flowering shrub...it says to plant soft wood cuttings in a propagator in spring. hope this helps..They are lovely aren't they?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 21:27:45 »
Yes, I've tried soft wood cuttings in spring, in and out of propagator, but no luck. They are notoriously hard to strike evidently. Which book do you have?
Yes I think they are lovely, but do feel that not enough warning is given about how much of a skin irritant they can be.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 21:29:24 by jennym »

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 17:06:24 »
Its one of the 'expert' books.D.G. Hessayon, its the flowering shrub book. Yes I know its an irritant I've got mine in a corner of the house wall so no one walks by that part ..did you try with bottom heat? I've not tried myself so can't really tell you any more...sorry.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 21:20:57 »
Are you sure it can't be moved? Cut it well back, dig out as much root as you can, andsee what happens. Take cuttings as well so you've got something in reserve.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 22:20:21 »
The moving of it would be a real problem. It has three stems (trunks really) about 5" diameter which emerge from the base and remain at that thickness for about 5 feet, spreading to encompass a space of about 7 ft diameter. It then branches out, many branches up to total height of about 10 ft. The rootes extend out about 8 feet underground and seem to be quite thick. So it's a makor job. The other thing is the fuzzy, felt like particles which it sheds when the plant moves, even in the wind. These bring me out in horrible itchy rashes (not just me). When I've pruned the thing before, I've covered up completely, except for my face, so I'm not looking forward to dealing with it.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 12:30:11 »
They are beautiful plants - a friend of mine has one up her house wall. Once the flat above hers had a workman in and she warned him not to touch the thing... course he accidentally fell into it didn't he? OW!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 13:03:24 »
Jenny, I've just had a look in one of my books and the method of propagation suggested is:

Take heel cuttings, 7.5-10cm (3-4in) long in late summer and root in a propagator unit at a temperature of 16C (61F). Pot up rooted cuttings singly and overwinter in a frost-free greenhouse. In late spring. plunge the pots outdoors in a sunny and sheltered spot for the summer. Move them under frost-free cover for the winter and plant out in their permanent sites the following spring or early autumn.

Hope this helps.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 22:03:53 »
Thanks for the info. My problem with that will be, at present, how on earth do I keep the temperature DOWN to 16 degrees (sweltering here at 26 degrees in the day)  :)
Anyhow, I'll have another go....

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 22:20:44 »
Hope it works for you this time, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal