Author Topic: Hibiscus  (Read 6276 times)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Hibiscus
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 20:14:01 »
A question for the hibiscus experts!
I have a hibiscus bush in my back garden, on the sunny side, about 4 ft tall. It's never flowered.
I'm no expert, mine flowered as soon as planted without any help from me. However I recently read on another board that they don't like acid soil & prefer neutral to alkaline. Would that be any help. If not I'd be inclined to give a potash feed to try & kick start some flowering.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 00:51:30 »
Flowerlady, a work colleague kindly brought me a cutting of hibiscus. I put it in water overnight then potted it up next day. Went out to check it yesterday and saw new growth and a couple of little leaves coming through - it's taken! It was potted up on 20th August, which is just two and a half weeks ago, so I'd certainly swipe - ahem! I mean request - some more cuttings from your sister-in-law's plant and give them a go.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 23:55:26 »
Thanks for the tip Amazin,  she only gave me one tiny cutting.  It's not been quite two and a half weeks yet but I will go out and check tomorrow.

Will try to beg another but may have to wait till next year, she doesn't exactly live round the corner :(
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 08:59:10 »
Thanks for the reassurance that cutting from hibi will take.  Have fallen in love with a white/maroon centred hardy hibi growing in a friend's garden (it was un-named - anyone know?) & we were talking yesterday about taking cuttings from it for me :)

btw. The friend is an elderly lady who is careful with her money & has a water meter. The hibi is doing its beautiful stuff in a sloping border, doesn't get specially watered and anyway, even if it did, the water would soon drain away.........she also bought it for £1.50 at a car boot sale, but don't know when (or where!!)

Guess some people are just plain lucky ;D

After reading EJ's thread on seedlings, I'll also take a close look next Wed. when I go round...

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 09:58:39 »
It might be Hamabo. 

5 wonderful plum coloured thumb marks in the center with a corresponding flush to the edge of the petals.

Aren't they the best :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 12:08:34 »
It might be Hamabo. 

5 wonderful plum coloured thumb marks in the center with a corresponding flush to the edge of the petals.

Aren't they the best :)

Spot-on!!! Many thanks for the identification and, yes, I was wowed by it. Cheers!

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 13:03:40 »
I have a couple of rather old boring looking Hibiscus  :-\  (at least 20 odd years old )and one of them l want to move as it's around 6ft tall and very wide,l think l will wait until it's finished flowering,but will l harm it if l cut it back  ??? before l do move it  ??? l did give them a good cut years ago,but l can't remember what time of year l did it,and l perhaps l was lucky l didn't kill them  ::) ::)

Haven't a clue what sort it is  ???

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 13:22:02 »
I would say Hamabo, mine is not quite so pink and also has a slight flush on the edge of the petals too.

I should register for photos shouldn't I  :-[

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 20:06:39 »
Hi Bambi
I Truly believe we are the masters and the plants flourish because of us!! not in spite of!! we water and nurture them and so we cut them back as and when needed!! Hibiscus are truly beautiful and quite majestic flowers, but even so they have to be trained to do as YOU / we wish, plants are far more resilient than we think, they thrive and mature through training.
cheers Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 22:58:42 »

Thank you Flowerlady for informing me on what my Hibiscus is called  ;D

KevB had to laugh at who's the master in my garden Try telling that to my red pepper plants........still no signs of flowers or anything LOL!

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 23:26:46 »

Thank you Flowerlady for informing me on what my Hibiscus is called  ;D

KevB had to laugh at who's the master in my garden Try telling that to my red pepper plants........still no signs of flowers or anything LOL!
are you SURE  you're not growing the non blooming type??plenty of leaves but no flower?? makes me wonder!!
KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2005, 00:10:24 »

Well ermmmmmmmmmm  ??? ??? l'm not sure if they do flower KevB,l've not grown any before  :-[ but there are no signs of any peppers  >:( they have been in the ground since March  :o :o LOL!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal